Notices

Day 1 Again

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 Again

Hi all,

I've been a heavy drinker about 15 years. Never quite every day but definately a Friday Sat & Sun warrior. If I didn't have my wife I probably would drink every day.
Yesterday was a new low. I went to a basketball game and got trashed. I drank 4 beers before I left. Who knows how many at the game. I won't know how many till I see the credit card bill. I drove home 35 miles. I haven't drove after drinking at all in the last 5 years. I usually just drink at home or stay wherever I am. What makes this a new low is my 12 year old daughter was with me. This is it. I have to stop. I'm going to lose my family if I don't.
I don't want to take anabuse since I'm on enough meds already. AA doesn't sound right for me since I don't really believe in God. I need help!! Quitting on my own is not working for me. I can stop for a while but when I fall off the wagon I fall hard.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!

Years ago I took my little brother to a Cardinals baseball game and poured vodka into my soda and drove us both home afterwards. I have been there before and it is a horrible feeling. There is a better way to live and I think that coming on here is a step towards it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Day1!
If you haven't already, check out the thread entitled "Moms and Dads Who Drink." You'll see you are not alone and get some great insight and support from others, like you and me, who would take a bullet for our kids,yet have risked their precious lives ourselves. Glad you are here and hope to hear more from you soon!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! That's the trouble with alcoholism - there's always a "new low" if we continue. We keep making up the rules as we go along!:crazy

You can use this for motivation to take your life back. Hang out with us - we know what you're going through.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I always drank at home alone so I wasn't driving drunk... but I did drive after drinking, my kids noticed it. You don't have to go to AA to get and stay sober. Lots of us here are staying sober thru other means. I have a weekly appt with my wonderful addiction counselor and I depend heavily on this site.

I hope we can help you as much as SR has helped me.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome day1again

I've not used antabuse or AA - SR has been a great help to me in keeping my commitment to recovery - but I think you have to have a plan to be successful.

You'll find a lot of support and help here in formulating one

D
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcoem.....

Glad you joined us....many SR members are winning over alcohol
some with AA....some use a variety of methods.

There is no wrong way to find a sober future...and Yes you can too.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by day1again View Post
AA doesn't sound right for me since I don't really believe in God.
You don't believe in God? You drove your daughter home drunk without getting in an accident, for goodness sake. Maybe you don't believe in God, but you might start believing in guardian angels, because one was looking out for you that night.

You might reconsider AA; whatever you are doing now isn't working for you.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You don't believe in God? You drove your daughter home drunk without getting in an accident, for goodness sake. Maybe you don't believe in God, but you might start believing in guardian angels, because one was looking out for you that night.

You might reconsider AA; whatever you are doing now isn't working for you.

Good luck.
Sorry, I've never believed in God or guardian angels and I still don't. I read the steps yesterday after posting. A lot of religion in there whether it's "god" or "a higher power". I just don't believe. I'm not trying to be offensive. Whatever works for you may not work for someone else. And if it does work for you that doesn't mean that's the only thing that works. I'm going to find a way. That's why I'm here. Thanks for your input and again I'm not trying to be offensive in any way.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well guys, only for atheists like me and the topic creator can understand how difficult is to us atheists join at some recovery program because all programs are attached to god or as I use to say "adult fairy tells". We cannot have this advantage on us.. I'm an atheist and 16 months sober, but it was only me, this forum and my pills.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry, I've never believed in God or guardian angels and I still don't. I read the steps yesterday after posting. A lot of religion in there whether it's "god" or "a higher power". I just don't believe. I'm not trying to be offensive. Whatever works for you may not work for someone else. And if it does work for you that doesn't mean that's the only thing that works. I'm going to find a way. That's why I'm here. Thanks for your input and again I'm not trying to be offensive in any way.
YOu're not alone , there're lots of atheists in this board you can share your history.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Everyone chill please.....this is our Alcoholism Forum and we share
about various programs and methods that work for us.

Here is a list of recovery programs...it's a sticky on this Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Many of our members do use a structured program...and many do not.

There is no wrong way to find sobriety
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Thanks for your input and again I'm not trying to be offensive in any way.
None taken, and none intended. Call it the fates, whatever, you were lucky the evening you drove home and I'm glad you have a chance to, as you call it, find a way. Wishing you the best in that search and in your recovery.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

Welcome to the site. I can easily agree with you when I started to go to meetings I felt the same way I had no idea who this god was. I was then told to turn everything over to this god as he would take care of my troubles. righhhhhhhtttttt!!

What I can tell you is I found that the relationships with others like me and the brotherhood that is a part of AA became my higher power. The chance to meet and talk with others that have the same feelings and troubles as I was amazing. All knew for sure that what I was doing was not working that I knew for sure so the thought of taking a chance on something else was not a hard one.

Thank you for you post and that is a great action to reach out like this.