Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

When drinking you want a meeting, 5 days sober you don't?

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does this make sense to anyone?

I can be in the midst of a 3-4 day bender and I can relate, I want a meeting, but the minute I get 4-5 days sober, I start second guessing if I need them or not.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

When you are an active alcoholic, nothing makes sense...
Old 01-14-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

julez.....I was 2 months sober and second guessed meetings, but here I am again, drinking
Originally Posted by julez View Post
When you are an active alcoholic, nothing makes sense...
Old 01-14-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hopeless, 2 months sober is awesome.....
Did you work all the steps? Have a sponsor?
I've get almost 3 months sober. I feel great, I'm progressing on my step work (step 8) and I attend 5 meetings a week.
I still consider myself an active alcoholic, because there are times of stress, and times of joy, that drinking still crosses my mind. I'm not completely free of it, and based on the 3 years I was drinking nightly, 3 months is a drop in the bucket.
I think that our (my) alcoholic voice still talks to us for a long time after sobering up. I wish you the very best!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It was enough for me for the longest time to be 'almost ready' to quit. So I'd indulge fantasies of sobriety while drinking. But then if I was in a phase where I wasn't as out of control, I was eager not to pay too much attention to my problems.. lest I find myself in a position where I had to really quit

I'm not saying that's it for you but it was for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Julez, im at a stand still now in a sense. i have a sponsor, but not really working the steps. i talk myself out of it all the time.

my goal this year, or the next 2-3 months is to work with them and make it happen..

Originally Posted by julez View Post
Hopeless, 2 months sober is awesome.....
Did you work all the steps? Have a sponsor?
I've get almost 3 months sober. I feel great, I'm progressing on my step work (step 8) and I attend 5 meetings a week.
I still consider myself an active alcoholic, because there are times of stress, and times of joy, that drinking still crosses my mind. I'm not completely free of it, and based on the 3 years I was drinking nightly, 3 months is a drop in the bucket.
I think that our (my) alcoholic voice still talks to us for a long time after sobering up. I wish you the very best!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try a 90 in 90. I just finished mine now. The booze is still there at the end if you want it. I don't today thankfully.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Hopeless. I'm not in AA, but I can tell you that I always wanted to quit the most when I was in the thick of it. A few days sober and I would think I was totally fine, and that I could be more careful, and then . . . it would escalate again.

What happened the last time -- which has stuck these nine months -- is that in the middle of being drunk that last time, I didn't just think "I hate this, I want to quit" -- I thought, "I have been lying to myself every time I pretended this wasn't a problem." For me, that was what I needed to accept my reality and change my life.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

In my experience, EGO.

After a few days sober, I would start thinking:

-It wasn't so bad (it was)
-I can quit on my own (I couldn't)
-AA would mean I was a failure and everyone would know I was an alcoholic (they knew anyway) and that I was a loser who went to AA (people know but don't care and I'm not a loser )

I really had to force myself. Meetings, sponsor, steps were like pulling teeth but I did it and it worked - 3 years sober, life is awesome!

This ain't rocket-science!