Notices

A tiny weeny step in the right direction.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A tiny weeny step in the right direction.

Hi Guys

I am still drinking, but only after 3pm or in the evenings (rather than all day, from 7am).

I believe that I have reduced my alcohol intake by half, however I am bulimic in the evenings, so one addiction to another.

However, by me drinking less has had a significant affect on my shakes, head fog & memory, which are much better.

Anyhow, for the last 5 years I have not been able to drive... a) cos of drinking b) increased lack of confidence.

Today was my 1st day to drive alone to our local store + I had to park what felt like a 10 tonne truck (wagon). I thought I was going to throw up in the store + had big nervous shakes.

However, I got the groceries and made it home in one piece.

It may seem a bit trivial, but bareing in mind I thought I would never drive again, especially on my own...it is all good.

J x
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I hate to break it to you, but your "progress" is mostly illusion. Or, rather, delusion.

Unless, of course, you have firm plans to quit entire in the VERY near future (as in, within a few days). As long as I was drinking AT ALL, I would use these brief periods of drinking less or "controlling" it by keeping it to certain days/times of days to convince myself I was improving. It wasn't so--the disease progressed anyway, and I would soon be as bad or worse when I slipped back.

The "bulimia" is very worrisome as well. And you shouldn't be behind the wheel at all.

Please see a doctor. You are killing yourself.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the illogical vulcan

What's that old saying about a journey of a thousand miles starting with one step ..or in this case a tiny wee step. Way to go keep it up.

Never mind the neigh sayer's. You get my own personal thumbs up.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

It takes what it tak:mogs and its your journey so if you feel cutting back is the way to go I am not here to judge that but with that said i do have to agree w/LexieCat. Alcohol is like poison so its sort of like IMO well lets just take a little poison instead of a lot of it. It is still doing harm and the whole while making ur addiction think its got one up on everyone. Just a thought congrats anyway though on cutting back at least you are trying something. Keep the Faith
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could drink 14 beers from 7 PM to midnight...not bragging...just not sure better timing = better results.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Are you getting help?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I have to agree with Lexie and encourage you to quit altogether. I think the common wisdom is that tapering off or curtailing is VERY difficult to maintain for any length of time.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm glad you feel you're making progress - I hope it encourages you to get sober for good.

The problem with "drinking less" (besides the issue that it's very hard to maintain) is that drinking anything at all once our bodies/brains have been damaged, still adds to that damage.

In any case I hope your progress continues, jack.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
It takes what it tak:mogs and its your journey so if you feel cutting back is the way to go I am not here to judge that but with that said i do have to agree w/LexieCat. Alcohol is like poison so its sort of like IMO well lets just take a little poison instead of a lot of it. It is still doing harm and the whole while making ur addiction think its got one up on everyone. Just a thought congrats anyway though on cutting back at least you are trying something. Keep the Faith
Thankyou - it has made me think, I never thought of it like that.

Who am I kidding...only myself x
Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I found it was much easier to quit than to moderate, once I got past the first week and some nasty withdrawal symptoms. I wish someone had explained that to me.

I feel better, and waste much less energy thinking about drinking. Also, everyone tells me how much better I look! (yes, I know that is shallow of me)