Notices

On day 4...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

On day 4...

I posted this up on a small ***** board that I am on for recovering alcoholics yesterday and wanted to post this here with some thoughts for the day and what I am experiencing.

I AM D-O-N-E.
Well, how many times have we said this to ourselves? I went to the DR's, I tried pills, I went to AA, I've read (and tried to follow) the Big Book, I have found other recovered alcoholics outside AA, I have locked myself in my home for a week at a time with only food and water only to turn right back around and open that can of beer (and the 9 that
follow).
This past Monday morning, I decided I am just done with it all. I am done trying to seek help. I have surrendered. BUT I have also surrendered alcohol simultaneously. No help, no medicine, no comfort, no alcohol can make me feel any better about myself.

The days are gone where I walk into a store seeking relief from a can. I did not find any solace in it. The days are gone where I walk into a pharmacy expecting that magic pill. I did not find anything but my wallet lighter and a whole host of other problems that went with them. Gone are the days where I hear that (what was then) a glorious "Pop-shewwwwwww" sound and bubbling after of that ice cold brew, for it only left me feeling more miserable than when I started.

I do not know what the exact turning point was for me, other than I woke up and was like this doesn't do it anymore. What was once the ultimate rush, the absolute aphrodisiac (come on - at the time what is better than drunk sex?), the ideal numb-er, the perfect spouse (one that seems to support and doesn't say a word back), the terrific tranquilizer and so much more...well it lost it.

I hope this feeling can carry me through the cravings that I know will come.
What got many of us started drinking soon turned into, "Well I will keep
drinking because there's nothing else there." I am to the point where "Why
should I keep drinking because there is nothing else there?"

I feel utterly hopeless and hope that as my brain reworks its many pathways,
this hopelessness will turn around but for the time being, I shall embrace the
hopelessness because it has kept me 3 days sober now, which is more than
anything else has over the last 10 years.

Now on day 4, as I said in the beginning of my post. Just had my first panic attack that wasn't related to drinking. But I can definitely tell I am on edge, more-so than normal. Still shaking from it but I have stopped crying and am breathing normal. Last night was the first night I had cravings but as long as I can make it home past the numerous gas stations to my apartment I am fine. I have had intense night sweats starting from day 2 but, fortunately that's the worst so far.

Thank you for reading.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lotus: you're right, what is drinking going to do? It just keeps prolonging your soberity, or death.

Good luck
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I might add you will need some support, moreso than this group can offer.

That has been my experience. I have tried to let past drunks and willpower guide me through it, but in the end, I crack. There has to be something more than yourself to help you through. I hope you find it.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

We are here to offer information and peer support to anyone interested in recovery.
Please keep posting with us....many of are winning over alcohol.

Congratulations on your early sobriety...