Notices

Very bad flu - reminds me of being hungover

Old 01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very bad flu - reminds me of being hungover

Ok, so I have the flu. My body aches, my stomach is upset, I am sweating for no reason, I have laid in bed all day, and this has reminded me of something. BEING HUNGOVER. To think, that I would willingly do this to myself 3 to 4 times per week is baffling.

I was not able to go to work or go to an AA meeting today due to being sick. I have tried to participate on this site and read the big book in an effort to stay in recovery today. I am so grateful that this sickness has taken me back to where I was 40 days ago. I never want to be sick again (which is impossible to achieve) - but I especially never want to be hungover again (which is VERY POSSIBLE to achieve). The fact that I "chose" to drink even though it would cause me these similar effects really shows how cunning, baffling, and powerful this disease is. Never again for me.

One day at a time guys. Now back to bed for me. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like your positive outlook Reg, thanks for the perspective. Hope you are up and around, better than ever, soon!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I used to be going thru w/d all the time it reminded me of being sick, now being sick reminds me of w/d. How come I kept doing that to myself over and over?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope you are up and around in no time Reggie!! Sucks to be sick.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reggiewayne View Post
Ok, so I have the flu. My body aches, my stomach is upset, I am sweating for no reason, I have laid in bed all day, and this has reminded me of something. BEING HUNGOVER. To think, that I would willingly do this to myself 3 to 4 times per week is baffling.

I was not able to go to work or go to an AA meeting today due to being sick. I have tried to participate on this site and read the big book in an effort to stay in recovery today. I am so grateful that this sickness has taken me back to where I was 40 days ago. I never want to be sick again (which is impossible to achieve) - but I especially never want to be hungover again (which is VERY POSSIBLE to achieve). The fact that I "chose" to drink even though it would cause me these similar effects really shows how cunning, baffling, and powerful this disease is. Never again for me.

One day at a time guys. Now back to bed for me. Have a wonderful day everyone!!!!!

I truly hope you fell better
Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Reggie, I had the winter flu just after New Year and must admit to being thoroughly annoyed. I'd carefully negotiated the holiday season sober and yet still ended up in bed sweating and shivering... I was not impressed at all!

It did give me time to think though and I spent the evenings reading the Big Book on my laptop. The resentment faded away and I did find some gratitude in the end. As others have said, it's crazy that we used to do this to ourselves deliberately.

Hope you get well soon - good luck.