Notices

8 Days In...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days In...

So I'm on day 8 of sobriety after quitting cold turkey. Some of you read through my previous postings and realized how much I used to drink...

So I barely experienced any withdrawal symptoms at all and I'm feeling great today.

A friend said to me today: If you didn't have any symptoms, or cold sweats, you really weren't addicted in the first place.

I'm tempted to believe him, but I DO know better. I also feel like I could go out with him tonight and have a few drinks and still be able to be sober again tomorrow.

I'm very torn tonight... That temptation is nipping at my booty and I also feel really confident that I could just have a few drinks this one time and let it be. My father is able to do it, why shouldn't I be?

I guess I'll wait to see what some of you think before I do anything... We're not supposed to go out for a little while anyway.

Damn, I'm so like confuzzled.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You already know what we think LOL.

I said a similar thing to myself a million times - only took me 2 days to feel great again - how big a problem can it be?

LOL. It sounds insane to me now....especially when the next week I'd be saying the exact same thing...and the week after...and the one after that....

You know you have a problem. We're a great place, but people don't join up here for kicks.

You know - don't let anyone convince you otherwise, Conk.

D
Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What is to be gained from having a few drinks on a Monday?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree...you already know. I could actually moderate my using...until I couldn't. Every time, it made me disgusted, but it also kept that urging in my brain until I had a really bad relapse, hit a newer and lower bottom.

I had to remind myself that I quit for a reason, and it wasn't that everything was going great in my life, and I could handle it with no problem...quite the contrary.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquorandndrugs View Post
What is to be gained from having a few drinks on a Monday?
You you're right, it's a MONDAY for god's sake... Why would I want to ruin such a good streak? Silly me... Guess I'm just venting again, heh.

Eh, glad I posted lol. Sorry to bug yall.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's not bugging us...it's what we're here for

D
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've read your posts.. and was drinking considerably more than you daily, and on day 2 (again) with zero symptoms of withdrawal..

Wanna know how I know I'm an alcoholic? The amount of energy and time I spend thinking about alcohol, or thinking about recovery.

Ask yourself now that you are on day 8.. Do you think about alcohol more than people you love, goals in life, things you want to do?

Ehh.. Food for thought.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
I've read your posts.. and was drinking considerably more than you daily, and on day 2 (again) with zero symptoms of withdrawal..

Wanna know how I know I'm an alcoholic? The amount of energy and time I spend thinking about alcohol, or thinking about recovery.

Ask yourself now that you are on day 8.. Do you think about alcohol more than people you love, goals in life, things you want to do?

Ehh.. Food for thought.
Well best of luck my friend! I found day 2 to be quite tolerable, especially after seeing my doctor. I think I found a lot of solace in just seeing him and confirming my suspicions about anxiety attacks / withdrawals. In part I think that's a huge part of what let me make it to day 8
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conk View Post
Well best of luck my friend! I found day 2 to be quite tolerable, especially after seeing my doctor. I think I found a lot of solace in just seeing him and confirming my suspicions about anxiety attacks / withdrawals. In part I think that's a huge part of what let me make it to day 8
Yeah... My first detox last year, I was terribly scared. So I went to the doctor to get all the meds and advice ect.. Turned out to be not bad at all.. Since then, my binges are smaller and smaller so the detoxes are protocol.. But I'm sick of the whole cycle.. best of luck to you my friend as well!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Consider yourself blessed that you have not had bad symptoms of withdrawal. Do you have to get worse and have that happen in order to stop, or do you get to save yourself from having to endure the misery that some go through.

Think about it.

What has your experience with alcohol been? Only you know for sure if it is a real problem for you or not.

Be honest with yourself, recall your experience. Some of us can not safely use alcohol. Can you?

When you drink...what is the intention...to go out and have some fun with friends for example...ask yourself...What really happens? Who did it harm, anyone? Yourself, others? In what ways...don't cheat yourself...really take a good look at drinking, and how it effects you to see your truth.

Then we get to make a choice. What kind of life do we want to live?

Only you know...