Notices

Sponsor?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor?

Hi everyone, Ive been trying out AA with my aunt and Im not feeling it. We live in a very small town and I dont know if all AA meetings are focused on such strong religion or is it just here? Is it possible to have someone like a sponsor without being in AA?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By here I mean in my town.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

AA is not about religion at all- - Please try several meetings if the one you went to seemed or felt like that to you. There IS a spiritual component to AA, but no requirement in belief of a deity of any sort. If you say your "higher power" is a doorknob or a paperweight, that is perfectly acceptable.

If I had felt religion at my first meeting, I know I'd have a tough time with it. I am lucky that it wasn't that way, but hope you try a different time or group- it might make a big difference!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi....glad to see you here with us...

Here is about AA sponsorship

Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

Ive never heard of an AA sponsor who did not suggest
you attend meetings.

I know you are new at the recovery process
Congratulations....
Yes...some meetings are more spirit connected than others.

How many different meetings are in your area?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Only two, my aunt (not really related) needs a lift there but shes not serious about it, she cracks a beer as soon as its over (she also munches bigmacs before her weight watcher meetings) I usually find her comical but not about this.I just recently moved back here and I had forgotten alot of how things are here. Im not worried about people knowing my business because I have nothing to hide, its just that Im not really relating to the others. I found so far they are using god as a catch all. Maybe I havent been fair, I dont know.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I use my childhood God of love and forgivness as my higher power.
I know some people who use the group ...good orderly direction.

Early sobriety is difficult...and so is adjusting to a home.
Try to be gentle with yourself...just don't drink today...
Old 12-18-2010, 02:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey GypWin ---

Tryin' out sobriety/recovery is always a good thing. Most AAer's will tell you that AA is Spiritual and NOT religious, but the term 'God' is used a lot---or so it would seem.... (o:

I have just a couple, er rather a few, suggestions for you; things that came to me as I was reading your posts here.............:

1) As others have suggested, try more and different meetings. I don't know how far you travel for these meetings, but, as also suggested by others in AA, one can (or perhaps should) put as much energy into finding and attending meetings (especially in early recovery) as one used put into finding and using alcohol...(like getting to bars or house-parties; off-sale stores; being sure the stock at home was up to par.....etc.). Anyway, just keep looking and listening for the similarities at these meetings (just let the God-stuff flow right through you for now);

2) Regarding all the 'religious'/HP(higher power); God-stuff that you're hearing.....well just let it slide for a bit....Have you gotten and started to read AA's Big Book ? (Actually, the title is ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS---How Many Thousands of men and women Have Recovered from Alcoholism). You can usually pick one up (buy) at most meetings (it's pretty inexpensive too, as I recall). Reading this book (or at least the first 164+/- pages) may open your eyes to a lot of what the folks are saying in these meetings. Also, you can read the 4th edition online over at Alcoholics Anonymous :

3) When searching out and attending, it might be better to go with someone who is also interested in sobriety/recovery (and not this 'aunt' who pops a top directly after a meeting.....);

4) One final suggestion (for now, at least); here on SR there are a couple of 'Secular Forums' loaded with good ESH (Experience, Strength, Hope) on how some folks have recovered, some even WITH AA, and all the while being Atheists and/or Agnostics.................so, it can be done.....and you can too...!

See you on the road of happy destiny.....................

(o:
NoelleR
Old 12-18-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It's too bad you weren't introduced to AA by someone who is actually living the program..

I went to a lot of AA meetings when I first sobered up, and they were all highly religious..but I only went to a few so I refuse to put a stamp of "they're all that way" on them as a whole. I didn't work the steps, which IS the guts of AA, meetings are just the way people working the steps stay connected. I know that a lot of people who aren't religious find a lot of success with the program of AA.. it's more about spirituality, not necessarily religion. Belief in God, and traditional religious values is a common mode of spirituality for many many people, but obviously not all, so of course unless you're in a secular program, you might experience this in AA.

If I were you, and obviously I'm not.. I would try to get to another meeting or three, even if it means driving out of your town. Try some of the online meetings, and speaker tapes. Separate your participation in this from your Aunt maybe, see how you feel about it when you're on your own.

There are other ways to recover besides AA, but I'm not sure if they offer the same 'sponsorship' concept.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the wisdom, Ive quit before but havent given it the go Im doing now so its pretty new. It hasent been two weeks yet since I had a drink but Im feeling better, still cant sleep on my right side but everything else is falling into place. Im also very new at being on line in a posting sort of fashion so hopefully I wont mess up too bad. I am VERY thankful for you.
Be well.