Notices

hi

Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

* Not sure if i've posted in the correct area, so feel free to move this post *

So, i've been reading these forums for the past day or so and I got a good vibe from them.

The fact that i'm looking for websites of this nature, just re-inforces that I know i have an issue with alcohol.

I'm at the stage where I would like to stop drinking. I've tried 'moderating' the frequency I drink in the past, but not suprisingly it failed. If i'm honest with myself I know I've had a problem for a few years now.

I'd probably drink 3-4 nights a week, seeking the buzz/relief that i'm sure most of you know. I don't drink until i'm blind drunk, just enough to know that i'm 'there'. Although I'll have a night where I'll drink almost anything that is in the house.

I've casually mentioned my drinking habits to my doctor and a counsellor i saw previously, however i brushed over the topic. I'm not an AA/meeting type of person.

Hopefully i'll find the resolve to quit and perhaps start a thread with my own experiences about abstaining.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Hi shelf, and welcome to SR!

It's good that you descided that you want to do something about your issues with alcohol. From what you wrote, I'm sure many people here can relate to your issues and that you will find a lot of support here. And I think being honest with yourself about it is a good start.
There are many people from many backgrounds here, and may different ways they got sober. Not all of us do use AA or meetings, but it helps a lot of people. Some go to secular meetings. Others only use the forums. Others like me, went to an alcohol counsellor. Some of us used therapy to adress underlying issues once they got sober. In my opinion, chances to succeed are bigger if one gets some support of some form in real life, and there are many options, maybe you can find one that is suitable to you.

I think it would be a good step though to talk to your doctor to be safe while you try to quit and be completely honest about the amount of alcohol and the frequency of drinking. He or she can help you determine how tom tackle quitting. It's a matter of your own safety, and the conversation will stay in your doctors office.

All the best and good luck, and keep posting,
LS
Old 12-12-2010, 05:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate - I too was a "functioning" alcoholic. I too could stop my drinks at 3-4. But what I noticed was that the frequency of my drinking increased. I became more and more obsessed with sneaking away and drinking.

The drinking became problematic when I started to lie frequently about where I was and what I was doing. I was ashamed of my drinking and usually went to "dive bars" and other places where I thought no one would see me. I noticed I began doing other things like "objectifying" people and using them. I got involved in relationships that were extremely self-serving and began neglecting other things that were important. I hated the fact that my overriding thought of the day was when and where I could have my few drinks. I suffered constant headaches and regret.

My drinking problem may not be as bad as others on this board. But I know I am an alcoholic who will further self-destruct if I continue drinking. Alcohol rapes your soul - it consumes you and makes you a shell of the person you were meant to be.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I too would recommend getting medical help in getting thru the initial detox. After that, find or make a support system to help you stay sober. All the best to you in your sober journey.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Hey!!! Welcome!! I agree with least you are going to want some help with the detox and you are definitelly going to want to get a support system.. I know you mentioned that you aren't the AA/meeting type but I wouldn't brush it off completely.. AA is a way of life and it is a great one at that... Thats just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Congrats on realizing that alcohol has become a problem in your life. I had drank like your currently drinking at one point in my drinking career. Unfortunately I didn't realize that alcoholism is a progressive disease and eventually found myself drinking vodka continuously. I found that I could not quit drinking until I engaged a program of recovery.

There is lots of great help here. Please let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by shelf View Post
I'm not an AA/meeting type of person.

LOL... that's cute.

I used to make the same assumption - that there WERE "AA meeting" types of people.

Make no mistake.....I haven't met anyone in AA who WAS a "meeting sort of person" when they got there. Nobody I've ever heard of was looking forward to going to AA or wanted to go to AA.

So far shely, yer right were everyone in AA I know was at one point. Be careful limiting your options to sobriety. Remember, your best thinking got you to where you are now. Is it really what you want to rely upon to get yourself out? Sometimes we have to try things we don't want to try. For a lot of us, it turns out that that thing we didn't like is actually something we not only grew to like but grew to love.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome shelf - glad you're here and looking to quit drinking. I can relate to a lot of what you said. I spent a lot of time and energy trying to make sure that I could still function while drinking.

This forum has helped me stay sober one day at a time - there's no reason you can't be successful too! Keep reading and posting - it takes time for the obsession to go away, but it's SO worth it!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

I certainly hope you will find your way into a healthy sober future
Alcohol is a toxic liquid...it damages everyone who drinks it....
the quicker you give it up...the easier it will be.