Notices

Uh oh..feeling tempted - in danger zone

Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Uh oh..feeling tempted - in danger zone

I'm just posting this because I can feel that first little flicker of temptation starting; so I thought I'd come here BEFORE I act on it. It's day 3 - been another rather lonely day in bed due to this chest infection. Maybe a bit of self pity kicking in. It would be SO easy to nip down in the car to the garage and buy a bottle of wine to help me sleep (it's 11pm here and I'm a chronic insomniac).
Actually the craving isn't so strong - it's the disease talking, isn't it? That Evil Genius that whispers in my ear "Go on; no one will know; you can quit properly when you are better and back in AA properly"; or "You have been so ill-you deserve a little treat!"
Yuck! Well, I'm NOT going to give in. I think I have talked myself out of the bad moment just by writing this, I'm trying to catch mysef sooner and sooner in the act, to jump on those first little thoughts that pop up out of nowhere, and that if not checked, can lead to a relapse.
Thanks for reading..

Last edited by Sally1009; 11-01-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sally,

I'm so glad you came here instead. The urge will pass. CarolD has a neat trick to past these feelings, time it! She says her urges passed in 4 to 7 minutes, I believe.

I'm an insomniac myself. Do you have any good recovery related materials to read? I keep a stack by my bed so I have something near to hand in the night.

Hang in there and keep coming here as needed. Good job on not giving in and I hope your chest infection clears quickly.

Love,

Lenina
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sally

There are some good tips here for insomnia - abviously not specificially for alcoholics, but some good ideas in there nonetheless...much better than drinking

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
D
Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hi, Sally,

Good for you, for posting here instead of picking up a drink!

Yeah, I think when we feel sick, in the beginning, the urge is just for some comfort. And our "go-to" comfort is alcohol.

The feelings will pass--try reading or watching TV until you get sleepy. Or some kind of food that you find comforting is nice. Do the pampering thing, and think how much sooner you'll feel better without dosing yourself with booze.

Hugs, feel better soon.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great work Sally, stay strong and it will get better as you go further.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Hey Sally,

You did the right thing by coming here and sharing it. I know I have had that little spark of temptation many times.. Just got to face it, acknowledge it and do what you know you have to do to get over it. It all gets better, just keep doing what you are doing and I promise the desires and temptations however minimal or strong they may be will soon drift away with all of your other worries.

God doesn't give us ANYTHING we can't handle.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Sally,
Just ate 2 packs of crisps, a "lion bar", 3 "Mr Kipling french fancies" and am started on "fruit pastilles". No drink though! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

Originally Posted by Hollyanne View Post
Hi Sally,
Just ate 2 packs of crisps, a "lion bar", 3 "Mr Kipling french fancies" and am started on "fruit pastilles". No drink though! Hope you feel better soon.
Yeah I'm chugging some poweraid and probably going to go on my 3rd personal pan pizza in a little bit lol.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Darn Hollyanne, those look good. I bet Sally can pick those up where she's at, yummy way to get by the drink.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Left over Halloween Candy LOL. We are all eating, hopefully Sally's cravings have passed. If not, she could always join us in the foodfest.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One moment at a time.

^ Yeah I have tons of left over Halloween candy.. Too bad I'm not much of a sweet tooth.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sally1009

Moment of temptation over!

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies and praise (I'm a sucker for praise!), It really helped, And thank you Dee for the insomnia tips link. I think it's great to have a site like this where one can post at any time and be sure of a rapid response. And to feel others really care. While I have been bed-bound it has been a life-saver, because we can't go to meetings every minute of the day after all, and when you are new in recovery it is so vital to have that extra support to hand.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah Sally! Glad you made it through your moment. Feeling cruddy is definitely a trigger for me until I realize it wouldn't actually make me feel better...an ice cream Sunday on the other hand does have curative powers:-)
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel kinda sick after all the junk.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
High on Life

Just put drinking off until tomorrow, if it's really that important you can do it tomorrow....
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sally1009, way to go! Chalk another one up for SR!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wishing you continued success in your sobriety, and I hope you start feeling better (physically), too! You did the "next right thing" by coming here as the cravings were beginning to stir.