Notices

I think I might be a little crazy!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I might be a little crazy!

OMG I choose now to stop drinking...I have been "sober" for 11 days. And I quit smoking 11 days ago too. I feel so stressed out I think I am gonna explode today...My kids are going back to school in 2 days, 2 new schools, one starting High School and my special needs son starting Middle school.
They are both anxious out the kazoo, and so am I...My Husband comes home every day and drinks a glass or 2 of wine becuase he is just "buying time" waiting for his business to go belly up. And he is having heart problems and won't wear the heart monitor he is has been told to wear for a month, due to arrythmia and a rare heart condition that he had open heart surgery for when he was 18, back now to rear its ugly head...And on top of that we have been having maritial issues quite awhile anyway. Wow that was vent.

Now I choose to stop drinking...am I freaking crazy or what?! I need a drink, but not to worry, I won't do it...I am done, that is one thing in my life I CAN control at this point.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's true FD, the only thing you can control is yourself and how you react. The rest of the world will keep right on rolling along.

Try to take a few moments for yourself and pamper a bit, or listen to some good music. I hope you feel better.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! Thoughts and prayers for you!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

FindingDawn,

Hi, welcome and congrats on your success so far!

Believe it or not, with all that you have going on, this is the BEST time to quit drinking because you certainly do not need to add drinking to those stresses.

I know that sounds crazy, but as soon as you start to learn new coping strategies that do not involve drinking, you will be amazed at how the problems seem to shrink!

I was the Queen of "if you had my life, you would drink too!". Today, when something major happens, one of my first thoughts is well, at least I am not drinking. Or, the only thing that could make this situation worse is if I picked up a drink. So I don't. I walk through the issues, ONE ISSUE AT A TIME, one day at a time. And I can't stress enough how much easier my life is.

So...congrats on quitting drinking and smoking! I do not suggest you go back to smoking if you are done BUT I personally wanted to succeed so badly at sobriety, that I tried to take it as easy on myself as my life would allow.

Your marital problems need to take a back seat for now. You may find that some of it works itself out after you have been sober and learned some tools, for a while. While I know that your husband's behavior is frightening, health wise, you need to stay focused on yourself right now. Eyes on self.

Obviously you need to take care of the kids, but breathe, and take each day as it comes.

Not sure if you have looked into any 12 step programs but it is always good to have support during this time and a place to safely vent. You might want to think about that, if you have not already.
And yes, PLEASE be good to yourself. Reward yourself for choosing a better way to live.

You deserve it and you CAN do this!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Looking back at "reasons to drink" or "reasons to need a drink" etc.. from THIS sober side of the world, it almost seems like the reverse should be true. The very reasons that make you feel you 'need' a drink today, are actually really good reasons not to.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really don't want to cause then I will feel like crap in more ways than one...I just needed to vent...thanks for listening..
Old 08-23-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow, FD, I think I might be a little crazy just reading what you wrote. Quitting smoking and drinking at the same time as all of the rest of that is a lot to expect of yourself, imho. If you find yourself caving into temptation, have a cigarette. If necessary, I would make a deal with myself to keep smoking for a couple of months till things settle down a bit and you have some solid sober time. Then drop the cigs. Of course, it's completely different if smoking intensifies your desire to drink.

Congrats on your decision to improve your health.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

I think the most important thing is health - mental and physical. Even then, many people live great lives despite ongoing health issues. I have faced many issues in my sobriety and they mostly tend to work out over time or I am able to react in a much better way.

Your husband should deal with his heart issues and you should throw yourself 100% into recovery (I'm in AA and it has given me a great life). I do it for myself and my kids need a strong, healthy dad.

Best wishes!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out for peace in your life....

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And more changes come tonight! won't go into it, but boy am I being tested right now.
I'm gonna do it...I will control my addiction if nothing else right now. Thank you for the support all.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's so much support here and so many have walked the road before you...
you can do this FindingDawn

D