Notices

New alcohol

Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New alcohol

I have an interesting topic. I was wondering who else felt the same way I do. I have been in recovery for over nine months now. I have no problem being around alcohol anymore and wishing I could drink. It just isn't an issue anymore.

But the point of this is sometimes when I am around people that are socially drinking and there is a new alcohol or beer that just came out, I find myself wondering what it tastes like. The normal stuff that has been around forever, I know what it tastes like and have no desire. But the part when people say "oh, this new xyz is awesome"
" or "have you tried the new ----?"

It makes me curious what it tastes like, etc. Like I said, I have no desire to drink it, but it just tweaks my curiosity a bit. Makes me wonder what it does taste like. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar instances and would like to share.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too have those thought patterns still today, but the honest truth is I never drank for the taste.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to worry about what I would miss once I was sober. I have never tasted a wine cooler, BTW. I'm not even aware of new concoctions that have come onto the market in about two decades. omegasupreme is right: I never drank for taste. If I were to tell myself that I was just curious about the taste I'd be lying. Whether it tasted good or bad I would just want the drunk it would provide. I do not miss alcohol, and I think about drinking it about as often as think of drinking bleach. I sobered up with someone who had to attend a corporate function when she was in the early months of sobriety....she passed on a $500 bottle of wine!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Like others on this tread, I drank for effects. Now the thought of drinking alcohol leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear where you are coming from because I loooove the taste of beer and YES, it bothers me until I reason with myself how much of an ass I am after I start drinking it.

Something else I miss is the whole production of going out. I almost NEVER drank at home. I am a rocker chick and loved to put on my rocker gear with hair done, make up done, rocker jewelry and all. In therapy yesterday, we discovered I need to learn how to disassociate drinking with that part of socializing and that whole production so I don't have to say goodbye to a piece of who I am. Anyone else struggle with that?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to...not for a while tho.

I figured it for more mind games - I was another one who never really drank for the taste anyway - the object was oblivion...taste was a bonus LOL

D
Old 08-17-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Chakra, I've got a great guy for you, he was the lead singer in a fairly successful punk band...he's like 14 years sober through meditation and yoga, I will ask him about disassociation:-)

Ooops, sorry, thread topic...I loved the ritual of drinking wine, and there will always be a wine to try that would be new. I mentioned this elsewhere but I will mention it again here..its a little game I play where I think o something similar to my DOC that's nasty, for example wine is like vinegar, hard alcohol is like liniment...my best is beer which reminds me of tap at Alpha Delta at Dartmouth (the inspiration for animal house)...the tap room (keg room) at AD had a trough around the edge, the guys used it frequently for other purposes...we played beer pong in that room and sometimes the balls would roll into the trough...this thought is pretty much enough to banish any romantic memory of beer for me:-)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

It's just another ploy alcohol uses to entice you back into drinking. Don't give into it. Walker
Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Chakra, I've got a great guy for you, he was the lead singer in a fairly successful punk band...he's like 14 years sober through meditation and yoga, I will ask him about disassociation:-)

Ooops, sorry, thread topic...I loved the ritual of drinking wine, and there will always be a wine to try that would be new. I mentioned this elsewhere but I will mention it again here..its a little game I play where I think o something similar to my DOC that's nasty, for example wine is like vinegar, hard alcohol is like liniment...my best is beer which reminds me of tap at Alpha Delta at Dartmouth (the inspiration for animal house)...the tap room (keg room) at AD had a trough around the edge, the guys used it frequently for other purposes...we played beer pong in that room and sometimes the balls would roll into the trough...this thought is pretty much enough to banish any romantic memory of beer for me:-)
LaFemme....That is so gross! lol I wish I hated beer. Even that horror story doesn't defeat my love of beer.

Sooo you were mentioning a man who DOES NOT pee in a trough. Do tell......
Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like LaFemme, I was a wine drinker. My husband and I were/are also wine collectors (for the moment, I am allowing him to keep our collection, which is sizable in value, in the house; I honestly have not had a problem with that, but I told him we would need to revisit the issue if it ever became one.)

So yes, I always know there will be something new on the wine front to taste, try, collect. But I also remember that some of our wine "tasting" days did not end in as civilized a manner as they began. So I just remind myself that it's not worth it for me anymore. There's no way I'd stop at one taste of that wine, or even one glass. And once I got drinking, unfortunately, I never had any idea how things were going to end up.

I liked wine. But what I now like even better is knowing for certain that tonight isn't going to end in a huge explosive fight with my husband fueled by alcohol, that I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night dying of thirst and still tasting wine in my mouth, and that I'm not going to have that awful hungover dehydrated, headache-y, nauseated feeling when I wake up tomorrow. Or when I wake up ever again.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I liked wine. But what I now like even better is knowing for certain that tonight isn't going to end in a huge explosive fight with my husband fueled by alcohol, that I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night dying of thirst and still tasting wine in my mouth, and that I'm not going to have that awful hungover dehydrated, headache-y, nauseated feeling when I wake up tomorrow. Or when I wake up ever again.

YAY-ah!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well thats why we are here isn't it? Just can't control it. One day, I hope to be able to proclaim that I have forgotten what good beer and wine tastes like and that I don't care. Until then, the blurred memories of me being a giant jackass keep me from picking it up. Oh, and the enormous support I receive here. You guys are the best!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always now, play it threw my head and know that I can't just try a taste or two.
When I did drink, it was always abusively and most times I couldn't stop until it was gone or passed out. Most times I would even drive drunk to get more.
I can not think clearly while under the influence. Let them drink it.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I guess I'm lucky, I don't socialize with any drinkers really.. everyone I know now either doesn't drink, or they drink one or two beers a month. I don't know how I'd feel if I saw a 'new' drink, there were many I never tried while I was drinking and I was never curious then.. just always drank what got me drunk and didn't cost much money. Glad to be out of that life, for sure!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting. I never wonder what the latest batch of heroin is like.

Brian
Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by justbrian View Post
Interesting. I never wonder what the latest batch of heroin is like.

Brian
LOL!

Actually, a few years ago there was some "bad" heroin on the streets here. I forget the name of the additive, but it killed a bunch of addicts. The weird thing was (tragic, really) that once word went out on the street about this stuff that would kill you, people actually went out looking to score it! I guess they figured it wouldn't happen to them, and if it could actually kill you, it HAD to be good.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My husband makes, beer, wine, and mead. I'd love to try some, especially the wheat beer he makes to have a banana flavored finish. When I helped him bottle the mead, it smelled excellent. Again, I'd love to try some.

The thing is, I know I can't. I know I won't just drink one and say, "Hey, that was really good!" I'll drink 100 and go on an out of control rampage. What does the big book call it? A spree! That's it. I'd go on a spree.

So, even though I'd really like a taste, I know I won't get one. I also won't wake up with a hangover. And I won't have to lay there with my head and heart pounding while I try to figure out to whom I owe an apology. I guess it evens out in the end.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Very good input from everyone. Thank you. I guess our alcoholic minds use this as a ploy to maybe get us to drink again. Well, not going to happen! My recovery is stronger than my alcoholic mind, and I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was a wine drinker the last 10 yrs I drank because anything else was torture on my stomach, fortunetly, i guess, I always hated that first smell and taste of wine but I didn't drink for the taste and once I got past that first half glass I no longer smelled nor tasted the wine.

Originally Posted by murrill View Post
I used to worry about what I would miss once I was sober. I have never tasted a wine cooler, BTW. !
Murrill, you are not missing anything by never tasting a wine cooler! they were really nasty!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

well I don't think I'd ever forget (at least for now) the amazing taste
of canadian club rye... I drank that stuff straight... but hey all I can
do is think about it... I can't have it since it nearly killed me lol.