Notices

Life Gone To Waste

Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
I f**king hate alcohol
Alcohol is not to blame, you are. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I have no LIFE, without my career and my studies........
Why would you presume that? (no answer necessary.....just think about it)

What if, right around the corner, is the opportunity to be /."insert one of your other dreams".\ (i.e. a famous singer, a famous painter, a great philosopher, a king, the President of a country, etc etc etc....). Wouldn't it be better to learn from the lesson alcohol is teaching you - that what you think is best or okay may not be best or okay - and apply that lesson to ALL of your life? Don't we learn that lesson in the dating pool too "this IS the one.......woops, wrong....... // THIS is the one.....nope, wrong again // OK, this one is absolutely the one.......wow, wrong again

just a thought to mull over.

A big part of recovery is freeing ourselves from the delusion of believing we know what's best for ourselves.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have no LIFE, without my career and my studies........

TheEnd,

I can't pretend i know what you're going through. it's gotta be incredibly scary and sad. However, i do think you have some options...

it might do you ALOT of good if you do get charged with DUI to get an attorney who may try to plead the case down or get the charges dropped.

alot of times thats contingent on going to rehab, pleading with the prosecutor, submitting to random drug tests and tons of community service.

i read some of this new legislation, and the statue states, that these are unexpongeable crimes only if it serves the interest of justice. one could argue that leaving you unable to teach anyone would certainly not be in the interest of justice because it would make it so you are unable to make a living.

not only that, but these new laws often get repealed. my point is, get a good attorney and explore every avenue you can.

i'm sorry this happend to you, but try to keep your chin up. i'll say a prayer for you.

BD
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell you what happened to me and 'my career.' lol

I went back to work, after I got sober and was working on my recovery, in the field I had worked in before the alcoholism made me unable to be a 'reliable' employee. Before long ................ I realized I HATED IT. Yep, absolutely HATED what I was doing.

Finally at 40 years old, (4 years sober) I started checking out how many credits I would need to change to a medical career. The counselor being conservative told me it would take another two years of FULL TIME college to get the credits I needed. So I took a good look at all the info and ...................................

Decided to change 'careers' at 40 years old. I got a 'part-time' job (classified 'part-time' so they didn't have to cover me with medical insurance, even though there were weeks when I worked over 40) that paid just barely above 'minimum wage' and registered at the college, at the nursing school.

My first sememster I took 21 credits, my 2nd semester I took 20, and my 3rd sememster was a 'breeze', rofl I only had to carry 15 credits. I finished in 3 semesters not four.

Totally changed my field of employment, got my nursing license and opened my own business taking care of the terminally ill and totally incapacitated in their own homes (in conjunction with Hospice and referrals from Drs here in town.)

My point is simply this. Put the alcohol away, this 'episode' is just a tiny little spot, maybe the size of the head of a pin, on your road map of life. You can BE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE in recovery.

I have come to believe and see that:

anything is possible for me as long as I remain sober and clean. With no chemicals in my body, I work harder, I play harder, my motivation is greater, I retain new knowledge I acquire, lethargy disappears, etc

Had I remained drinking, not only would none of the above have ever occurred but I would be long dead.

(((((The End))))) you have reached a 'fork' in the road and now you must make a decision that can and will affect the rest of your life. Although the decision:

Keep drinking and totally destroy whatever is left, or quit now, work on recovery and have the whole world open up to you at your feet.

may seem like a simple one, I personally understand that it IS NOT. That this will be the hardest decision you ever make about your own life.

J M H O

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much!

Love and hugs,
Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell you what happened to me and 'my career.' lol

I went back to work, after I got sober and was working on my recovery, in the field I had worked in before the alcoholism made me unable to be a 'reliable' employee. Before long ................ I realized I HATED IT. Yep, absolutely HATED what I was doing.

Finally at 40 years old, (4 years sober) I started checking out how many credits I would need to change to a medical career. The counselor being conservative told me it would take another two years of FULL TIME college to get the credits I needed. So I took a good look at all the info and ...................................

Decided to change 'careers' at 40 years old. I got a 'part-time' job (classified 'part-time' so they didn't have to cover me with medical insurance, even though there were weeks when I worked over 40) that paid just barely above 'minimum wage' and registered at the college, at the nursing school.

My first sememster I took 21 credits, my 2nd semester I took 20, and my 3rd sememster was a 'breeze', rofl I only had to carry 15 credits. I finished in 3 semesters not four.

Totally changed my field of employment, got my nursing license and opened my own business taking care of the terminally ill and totally incapacitated in their own homes (in conjunction with Hospice and referrals from Drs here in town.)

My point is simply this. Put the alcohol away, this 'episode' is just a tiny little spot, maybe the size of the head of a pin, on your road map of life. You can BE ANYTHING YOU WANT TO BE in recovery.

I have come to believe and see that:

anything is possible for me as long as I remain sober and clean. With no chemicals in my body, I work harder, I play harder, my motivation is greater, I retain new knowledge I acquire, lethargy disappears, etc

Had I remained drinking, not only would none of the above have ever occurred but I would be long dead.

(((((The End))))) you have reached a 'fork' in the road and now you must make a decision that can and will affect the rest of your life. Although the decision:

Keep drinking and totally destroy whatever is left, or quit now, work on recovery and have the whole world open up to you at your feet.

may seem like a simple one, I personally understand that it IS NOT. That this will be the hardest decision you ever make about your own life.

J M H O

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we do care very much!

Love and hugs,
Thanks for the love, but after a masters, and almost a doctorate, don't have the energy to change careers.............
Old 08-14-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Heathen

So what are you doing for your recovery?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Do you have the energy to go on being a drunk? From the sound of your posts, I'd say not.

I'm really curious--what is it you are looking for someone here to tell you? That it's all gonna be OK, don't worry?

Because it isn't the truth.

We can only share our experience, strength, and hope. We can't give you a blankie and make it all better. Maybe your mommy did when you were little. Maybe your lover does that for you now.

The truth is, whatever the outcome of your accident, our EXPERIENCE says that this will be just another in a series of increasingly calamitous disasters, unless you face your REAL problem. Our STRENGTH says you need to reach out to other people who will help you to do that, people who have found a way back to sanity. Our HOPE says that your life can be good, can be wonderful, even if it takes unexpected twists along the way.

The deal is, you gotta be a willing participant.

I have a feeling you simply aren't "done" drinking. It's a shame, but it takes what it takes, for all of us.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You're certainly not going to get the energy by sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. You can either use this as incentive to change your life or not. The choice is yours, but you first have to stop wallowing in self-pity.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
High on Life

Done wallowing, my partner said he is there, that is all I need at this point, thanks for the love and support, but this website makes me despondent..........life shall continue.......PEACE OUT
Old 08-14-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't think it's this site that makes you despondent.

Take care!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The truth hurts.

It also sets you free.

We'll be around when you are ready to be done with the drama.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

You may not get to read this, but like many said before, your life is not over. I lost my teaching job because I chose to put alcohol in my system and make poor decisions. It took me a while to take responsibility for my actions instead of blaming others and alcohol.
I too thought my life was over once I lost my job. All I ever planned for was to be a teacher, and I was also a few credits shy of getting a Masters in Education. However, the smoke did clear, and instead of feeling sorry for myself and wallowing in my pain, I took the opportunity to explore what else makes me happy. And I did find something else that makes me happy.
If teaching is your true passion in life, I don't understand why you can't go back to it someday. I got a DWI when I was 22, and taught for 3 more years with no problem. It may be more difficult to find a job because of your circumstances, but being up front and honest about your past and your recovery may help.
That is great that you have the love and support of your partner, but if he is an alcohlic like you said, and you want to be in recovery, you are going to need someother type of support. It may be this forum, it may be something else, but you need support.
Best of luck to you, TheEnd. I hope things work out for you.