Notices

Some questions

Old 07-21-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some questions

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question.
First of all, I've been a 5 liter a week wine drinker for some time, with periods of abstinence every few months ranging from several days to 2-3 weeks. A month ago I began to have a vertigo-like feeling in my head--not dizziness, but a weird sensation in my brain that made me anxious. Anyone else experience this?

The weird head feeling and anxiety was enough to make me want to quit. I was abstinent for 13 days until I caved in last nite and drank 4 glasses of wine. I've read that after about 2 weeks, the brain begins to repair itself and produce new neurons. I'm not asking for a medical opinion (unless there's a doctor out there), but did my drinking last nite undo the healing that took place the past 13 days? I want to return to abstinence today and pick up where I left off, and I don't feel too badly, but I'm hoping that the healing that took place during my abstinence hasn't been undone.

Also, my main problem during the past 2 weeks has been irritability. Any idea when this subsides? I exercise at the gym several times a week and take vitamin supplements, but I still feel irritable.

I've very recently had a complete physical and blood work, and everything was good--so I don't feel the need to see a doctor.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

hi Jose and welcome to SR ...

the body is one big thing and when its used to something and you give it up , it tries to trick you at times ..
But the body does and will do diff things thu the early stages of your recovery , I dont think one day has changed anything , other then a new start date . Give recovery time and let the body adjust on its own . the Irrability is also natural .. theres many things you can do for that , and your doing on by hitting the gym .
workin a program of your choice is also a great why to help with that . theres many programs out there of your likin , jusy go see .. its great to be around those like yourself and me who understand what its like and , not to mention meeting new people who are in recovery , you mite find more things to do with new sober friends .. its definaly a great feeling to sit and have a coffee with someone whos feeling the same things as yourself , but this is all up to you ,
Imsure many will follow after myself to share there thoughts on this as well as welcome you to the forum .. ~ huggles Endzy ~
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm not asking for a medical opinion (unless there's a doctor out there),
Even if I were a doctor it would be irresponsible of me to 'diagnose' over the internet. I can only say that despite your tests coming back good, if you're having strange sensations GO BACK TO YOUR DOCTOR AND TELL HIM/HER WHAT YOU TOLD US! It could be any number of things so please see your doctor to be sure.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The strange sensation in my head went away after 5 days of abstinence, so I'm fairly sure it was related to the drinking. I should have made that more clear in my original post. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced that sort of brain fog.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

Brain fog

Hi Josette. I know the "brain fog" you speak of. I didn't start getting it until I got a little older and was still trying to drink the same way I did when I was in my twenties. I'm 39 now. I don't know how old you are but as you get older your body changes. Your metabolism naturally slows. In other words, your body/liver can't filter the alcohol through as fast as it use to. Therefore, it builds up in your system. The same thing happens if you have liver damage or hepatitis. This symptom you describe is vague. It can be a symptom of many different things. If it is causing you this much concern, you should see your doctor about it. Since I stopped drinking a little over a month ago, I feel at least 50% better than I did when I was drinking. My mind is definitely functioning better. I haven't had a dizzy spell in a while. You have to give your body and mind time to adjust to it's new sober homeostasis. Like the other members said, this takes time. All I know is, with every day that passes that I don't drink, I feel so much better and stronger than I have in a long time. Thanks for listening and good luck. SS
Old 07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum.....

I'm glad you have decided to become a non drinker!
Many of us have found living sober is a healthier ..
more productive lifestyle.

By the end of my 2nd month of AA sobriety
I felt back in balance physically and mentally.
I was drinking more than you.

You might want to check out

Alcohol Chemistry and You

All my best....please keep posting...