Notices

Sobriety is great!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is great!

Just got back from a week long trip to the mountains of PA on a fly fishing trip. Wow what a great trip. The lodge, food, fishing, just amazing!

I have TONS of pics....but dont want to post all the stuff for everyone to see, so made a vid of the trip which I thought I would share with you guys of last week which you might like. Hope you like it.......

Being sober is great, life gets better every day. With every passing day I realize what I missed when I was drunk.

YouTube - Pa trip video.wmv

Steve
Old 06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice one! It is so great to hear you are enjoying your sobriety...

Clayton
Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great video Steve, looks like real fun:-)

Questions:

1. What do you do with the fish?
2. That bear fur is fake right?
3. What is that deer head looking at?

Nice Answers

1. We throw them all back
2. Of course it is
3. We have a hole in the wall and a friendly deer comes past and sticks its head through and poses for photos

Lol as you may have guessed i have never been hunting of fishing;-)

The cabin looks amazing...i would really enjoy a trip like that...with my tofu sandwiches of course lol

Great to see you enjoying yourself!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cool Steve. This'll help us keep going!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great! I'm happy for you. How long have you been sober? How long until it gets great- I'm only one week!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"You don't wanna kill a fish but you do wanna make it late for something. Where were you? I got caught! Bull**** show me the inside of your lip"

Mitch Hedburg
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

1. What do you do with the fish?
2. That bear fur is fake right?
3. What is that deer head looking at?
1- I release them. Havent kept a trout in years!

2- I think its real. That area of PA is big time bear country so best bet it that its real.

3-...dunno.....Maybe the arrow that killed it before it was mounted
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
That's great! I'm happy for you. How long have you been sober? How long until it gets great- I'm only one week!
I've been sober about 140-150 days......How long till it gets good?...well....times are still not good lol. All I c an say is hang in there. Times will get good and bad, just stick them out!

Steve
Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

looks great, well done
Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree 100% with you. Sobriety rules and is the #1 thing in my life now. I can wake up in the morning without being hungover and sick and instead smile and actually remember what I did the day before. It's awesome.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just got back from a week in the Florida Key's with my girlfriend. It was the first time I have taken off work and not drank heavily. It is nice having many pictures and great memories of the trip. I'd be a liar if I said I was not tempted to drink a few times but never gave in. The whole week my g/f only had one drink and that was a margerita with dinner. I'm glad she is understanding of me being having a drinking problem....I'm only 200something days sober but after this week feel I can and will keep going strong. Also thank you Gratefullgirl for suggesting the book "Dry" I read half of it on the plane ride and it is great so far!!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No problem, rws177 I haven't been on here in about a week, and the first post I go to, I get a shout out...pretty cool!

Thanks for the post, DayWalker. It's wonderful to hear about others having fun in sobriety. I haven't been on any big trips yet during sobriety. I had to turn down a free trip to Vancouver to go to the Olympics because I would have been surrounded by a lot of drinking, and at 6 months sober, I knew I couldn't handle that. My family still gives me crap for not going, but I had to do what was best for me at the time, and I don't regret my decision.

I am going on a women's recovery float trip in two weeks. I've never been floating, but all the stories I've heard involve heavy drinking. I'm excited to spend time with sober women and enjoy nature.

I am already nervous for my next big trip and it isn't until January. One of my best friends is getting married in the Dominican Republic at an all inclusive resort. In the past, that would have been heaven, but now it scares me. I'm going to be around a lot of people who are not in recovery and who will defiently be taking advantage of the all you can drink aspect. Part of me doesn't want to go, but it's my friend's wedding, and I wouldn't miss that for the world. I don't want my disease to control me...I know I have the tools to handle the trip, and it'll be ok, because as you said, sobriety is great, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm jealous. Rainbows, Brookies and Browns. What a trip! That is the largest "deer" I have ever seen. OH. maybe it's an "elk". LOL!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gratefulgirl09 View Post
No problem, rws177 I haven't been on here in about a week, and the first post I go to, I get a shout out...pretty cool!

Thanks for the post, DayWalker. It's wonderful to hear about others having fun in sobriety. I haven't been on any big trips yet during sobriety. I had to turn down a free trip to Vancouver to go to the Olympics because I would have been surrounded by a lot of drinking, and at 6 months sober, I knew I couldn't handle that. My family still gives me crap for not going, but I had to do what was best for me at the time, and I don't regret my decision.

I am going on a women's recovery float trip in two weeks. I've never been floating, but all the stories I've heard involve heavy drinking. I'm excited to spend time with sober women and enjoy nature.

I am already nervous for my next big trip and it isn't until January. One of my best friends is getting married in the Dominican Republic at an all inclusive resort. In the past, that would have been heaven, but now it scares me. I'm going to be around a lot of people who are not in recovery and who will defiently be taking advantage of the all you can drink aspect. Part of me doesn't want to go, but it's my friend's wedding, and I wouldn't miss that for the world. I don't want my disease to control me...I know I have the tools to handle the trip, and it'll be ok, because as you said, sobriety is great, and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
I would be nervous too about going to a wedding in the DR, however by January you will have been sober over a year and hopefully that will make things a little easier. The bad thing is you won't have an "escape route" being down there. Personally after an hour or so into the reception I would leave, hit up a movie on pay-per-view and order room service.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

wow thats wonderful!
I miss fishing ,camping, hiking I used to go all the time. I loved those days