Notices

Sober 1 year .. on June 22

Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Sober 1 year .. on June 22

This is not my first time in recovery. I have been struggling with alcoholism since I was 21. I am now 36. Six months ago I was laid off from my job of 7 years. I am now having a hard time finding work due to 2 DUI charges - one was in 2002 and one was 2009. I realize that I made bad choices in the past, especially while being under the influence, but I don't think that what I did in the past should hurt my job search - but it has. I have a bachelors degree and student loans and other bills that are piling up as unemployment does not cover my expenses. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please feel free to reply to my post.

I have read on other sites that a lot of people feel that those with DUI's or arrests on their record. But being punished for life? Especially when you are in recovery and doing the best you can to live an honest life. I have heard that some people that are in drug court can get their records expunged. This is not true for DUI's. Why is this? Yes, we need to learn a hard lesson but without work, I will be living off of the state. This is just crazy. Thanks for listening...
Sobernjgirl
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry

I know you are frustrated. I wish I had advice for you. Some occupations like sales are a little more forgiving or past indiscretions. I guess also there is like a huge stigma on DUI's. Are there any state employment agencies that you could work with. It may be better if the employer knows upfront that they are hiring someone with a criminal record.

Just a thought
Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you volunteering this info on your DUI record? If so, don't. I paid $60 to have a background check run on myself, from the leading criminal background checking firm in the country. None of my 3 arrests (2 convictions) showed up. I may just be lucky I guess.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why not move to an area where driving is not necessary?

Legal problems are not part of my drinking history
I have no info to share on felony records.

Good to know you are sober now
Welcome.....
Old 06-06-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One year is awesome. Few people make it. Keeping working the steps!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR soberjgirl

I'm not American and I've never had a DUI anyway so I have no experience to share.
I hope you can find employment soon - and congrats on yr upcoming year

D
Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sobernjgirl

Congrats on the year!!

The DUIs are yours..So is the degree... Wish I had a degree!

I'm trying to hold onto our house. I stopped paying CC bills so I could pay the mortgage. I'm 41 and the first time in my life I had to let that go... It was that or my sanity...

We will live.. We came into this world with nothing and leave with the same. Hang in there. Sometimes just staying sober is all we can do that day..

AG
Old 06-06-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes All We Can Do is Stay Sober.. sobernjgirl Thanks For Posting and Congrats on Almost One Big Year! Sometimes We Just Have To Find a Way.. Stay Strong..
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey sobernjgirl,

I am truly sorry to hear of your situation. It is a really tough lesson to learn that the consequences do not disappear after some tragic decisions - despite lessons learned.

I completely understand the frustration. I did a search online and found some info. One being this:

Evil HR Lady: DUI Advice

I did also read that some states clear your record 7-10 years after an offense. And you have checked that records can not be expunged in NJ?

Have you been finding that you go into an interview process and then are not offered a position after a background check? The economy really does stink as far as getting a job right now - so do try to be patient and try to keep a positive attitude despite the dire circumstances. As someone posted previously, it may be worth just ordering a background check on yourself to see what actually turns up - just so you know.

Wishing you luck and success in finding the right job.

Most importantly, congrats on your worthwhile efforts in making a lifestyle change to sobriety. That decision will never be a poor one!

Keep up the good work.