Notices

Kombucha

Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kombucha

Has anyone had this? It's a wonderful effervescent beverage of various flavors containing a symbiotic combination of yeast and bacteria. It's supposed to be very good for your immune system, metabolism, liver function, and cell integrity amongst a few other things. Now, I am not promoting this as a panacea- I'm just sayin'- the stuff is good- And I feel great when I drink it. Now, I read the fine print and it says "Due to fermentation, may contain trace amounts of alcohol"... Something like up to .05 percent. Now, considering I used to kill at least a 6 pack a day for 8 years or so- is a little kombucha going to kill me? I find AA members to be extremists. I feel okay with having it a couple of times a week as I look forward to it- I no longer drink coffee, so that's out- I don't smoke and I am taking steps to cut out dairy! So I really treasure this little treat. Just food for thought. I don't see kombucha as a bad thing to ingest, and I am on meds that some would say make me not sober- but I take them as prescribed (it was a concession to take them, actually- but I really need them to function well).
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I think I saw some posts about this on the substance abuse forum.. someone wondering if they're still clean because they consume crazy amount of the stuff because of how it makes them feel..I think that is questionable behavior for an addict, but its none of my business, ya know? I actually first heard of it when I was feverishly searching for a new buzz as I was contemplating getting clean. It sounds like you're totally ok with it, so what's the question? I don't drink alcohol, I don't use any drugs. That's my choice, to each his own.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never got a buzz from it. I had no idea this was a topic of debate.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a legal thing.
Kombucha is regulated by the FDA instead of the ATF since it's food. Same as NA Beer as explained in the other thread.
FDA guidelines state the product must post the alcohol content in foodstuff that may contain alcohol.
Cooking Sherry is a great example. It has a high alcohol content but children can buy it and no special license is required to sell it.
Mouthwash, Vanilla Extract, etc... It's all regulated by the FDA

Per FDA guidelines anything sold as "Non Alcoholic" or "Alcohol Free" must contain less than .05% alcohol and be labeled as such.
Even if it has 0.0000% alcohol the label must still state that it contains less than .05% alcohol if the claim "Alcohol Free" is to be used.
For all practical purposes .05% alcohol content is alcohol free.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Does anyone make this stuff at home? I'm paying $4 a bottle at the health food store!

Also, is there anything else out there that can replicate the benefits of kombucha without the possible .05% alcohol?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For myself I avoid any amount of alcohol. I even ditched the mouthwash because I believe it will lead to cravings. So yes, I am extreme about it. Drinking was a horrible nightmare for me. I am extreme. That's what works for me. Hugs to you.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sleepie: I just bought this at a farmers market and love it! I originally bought it because I have been on high doses of antibiotics for an infection and I was interested in the probiotics it contains. I cannot taste any alcohol in it. If you are concerned about drinking too much you can dilute it. This is what I do: I usually pour 2 ounces in an 8oz glass of water to try and prolong it (dang it is expensive!).
mwstylee: I am starting to make this at home. Actually I am growing my own SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast). It is actually very easy to do. It will take about 4 weeks to grow and then another 3 to make the tea. So far it seems to be working well.I have not made a batch yet still waiting on the SCOBY to grow. If you want to make your own just check out the youtube videos as there are plenty.
Another thing you make like ,mwstylee ,is teeccino. It is herbal coffee(no coffee beans). It looks just like coffee. No alcohol and no caffeine and has similar "health" benefits. It supposed to detoxify the liver, probiotics etc. I don't drink coffee and really like it. I am on a plant based diet (no meat or dairy) and have never felt better. I really think the kombucha has so little alcohol or caffeine that you should not worry IMO.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've never felt a high off of drinking kombucha. In fact I never really even felt it related to any mind-altering effects until I read this. I drink it once in awhile in belief it will aid my digestive track but even that's debatable.

It's alright, I guess.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

As this stuff contains alcohol, and the OP has not been a member here for some years, I think it's time to bring this discussion to a peaceful end.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Please come and join us on other threads

D