Notices

Drinking Games

Old 05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Games

I am so glad that I no longer have to participate in drinking games. Even when I around friends that drink (and some do drink a lot of booze), I do not have to participate in drinking games to feel accepted.

Does anybody have friends try to pressure to play drinking games when they know you are in recovery like beer pong?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never.
Those kinds of friends stopped calling when I stopped drinking...and I'm grateful.

D
Old 05-22-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thank goodness I'm old enough that people don't engage in drinking games. I would think they could be pretty deadly. I remember the first party I went to where I got really wasted, though. Alot of kids, drinking alot of hard liquor. I got really sick that night, but I was lucky. They had to take a friend of mine to the hospital. Shoulda know then alcohol was not all fun and (you guessed it, games). Glad you made the choice to be done with it all, too! Sobriety is so much better, so much more real, and it's nice to know we can simply enjoy being ourselves.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can only imagine how frustrating that would be...I have to keep myself out of situations in which people play drinking games currently - though, admittedly, my friends are getting a little bit old for that but we're still early-mid 20s, so we're not THAT far removed from it...last time I played beer pong didn't end so well...
Glad you're able to enjoy sober time even when your friends aren't! That's awesome!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No mate, we stopped playing them when i was late teens...
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm 26 years old, and a lot of people in my life still play drinking games. My husband goes over to his friends house at least once a week to play "beer guy". I went to dinner with my two friends tonight, and they were telling me how they spent their entire day in bed throwing up because they played too much beer pong last night. Hearing things like that remind me how grateful I am that I don't have to participate in those games!

No one pressures me to play, but I don't put myself in a situation where those games are going on. Today, I don't need or want to be around that, and I thank my HP for that.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

people doing that would not be friends..
Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety Date: Feb 2009

Well said, penny74!

I used to think that people who drink are much polite than people who do not drink. After quit drink, I realize that alcoholics are not trustworthy people at all.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

No way.. not since high school. Like penny said, those people would not be my friends, and like dee said..they stopped calling one I got sober, thank goodness!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 27 and some of my friends still play beer pong. They know better than to invite me over for something like that but sadly they still do it. I'm glad that I have productive things to do in my life besides throwing some platic ball into a cup of booze.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I never liked games. They took away from being able to blabberly slurrrrrrrr about my favorite topic = Myself. <crazy>!
Old 05-24-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

lots of harsh treatment of the drinking games, villifying the poor kids for having a little fun! I for one loved drinking games, not so much beer pong, but quarters. Chugging beer can get you wasted, I guess that's the point, but I usually spilled my guts far before being drunk, at least drunk for an alcoholhic. Most of my friends from those days were not alcies. It seems that for alcies, we don't need a silly game to get absolutely wasted, nor the excuse of a party. I think its well worth remembering that people, alcy or not, are allowed to enjoy alcohol and it is uncessary, perhaps even counterproductive to our recoveries, to resent them because they get to and we don't!