Notices

The concequences of my alcohol abuse

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The concequences of my alcohol abuse

I saw a neurologist today about my memory problems. Things like blacking out or confusion are becoming more common. She thinks my alcohol abuse was the cause. She referred me to a cognitive therapist, but there's no way of knowing how much of the damage done can be reversed. It may never get back to what it used to be.
It scares me to never be sure how I spent my day. Who I've talked to and where did I go? The worst part is knowing that I did this to myself. I knew alcohol kills neurons, but I never thought my drinking would cause this. Liver damage, sure but losing the ability to remember what happened yesterday?
What's sad is that I would joke with my friends, that the alcohol was only killing the slow neurons, therefore making me smarter. I thought that was very funny at the time.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Luthin

I'm sorry if it turns out your doctor is right...but wait for a diagnosis first.

Even if this comes to pass, there are many of us who deal with brain injury - including myself.

I'm not a doctor but it seems to me the odds are in many cases your condition should at least stabilise, if not get better, so long as you abstain from alcohol.

D
Old 05-12-2010, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm pleased to know you will be seeing
a cognitive therapist.

That's really wise of you.