Notices

I have decided...

Old 05-02-2010, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have decided...

to go to my first AA meeting today!!! I'm 97 days sober and just feel a strong pull to attend...I'm really nervous about walking in as a newbie though, that's what I think has stopped me from going earlier...I will just take some deep breaths, hold my head high.....and look forward to this new chapter!!

Happy Sunday everyone!!! xo
Old 05-02-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Great! Congrats on 97 days! Let us know later how the meeting went.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!!! That's so awesome! As someone who walked into my first AA meeting in 5 years (and only like my 3rd ever) last week, I can tell you that everyone at every meeting I have been to was SO kind and welcoming...I can't count how many times I was told "I'm so glad you're here. Please come back." "Welcome home." "Please call me. We're really glad you came."
They've all walked into a meeting for the first time and well remember how it felt Let us know how it goes!!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow congratulations on 97 days. That is a huge accomplishment.

I went to my first meeting a couple weeks ago. I was terrified and sat in the parking lot for like 40 minutes before getting the courage to go in. I felt weird because I was so much younger than everyone else and thought I would be judged but I didn't feel judged by a single person there. Everyone was very kind and welcoming and accepting. They all encouraged me to come again and talked to me about my drinking and how I could stop. I've gone to a few other meetings elsewhere and have always had the same experience.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Theres a great story i dont know if you ever heard it about a man who fell in a big hole. He couldnt find any way out any began to panic and screamed for help. along came a doctor and he asked him for help the doctor said of course, threw him down a prescription and walked away. More time passed and along walks a priest. The man says father help me im stuck in this hole. The priest says a pray for him and leaves. At this point the man is ready to give up when his friend Joe comes walking by. He says Joe please help me, Joe says of course and jumps down in the hole with him. The man says Joe what are you doing now we are both stuck down here? Joe replies ya but i have been here before I know the way out.......

We all have doubts and problems in our lives and it really helps to have a "Joe" to go through them with AA is a perfect place for this. You are surrounded by people who want you to succeed in your sobriety and have been in that same "hole" as you and know the way out of it. I cant tell you how many times i would have relapsed in this past year without the support of my friends in recovery. I dont know about you but when i tell my friends who are "normal drinkers" that i really want a drink and am scared im gonna. Their response is usually dont do it or just drink less its not that hard. Its not that they dont care its that they dont understand. Its like someone with an eating problem telling you they wanna stop eating but cant. Its hard to understand without living it. Keep going to meetings talk about your feelings and really listen to what the old timers have to say they are doing something right after all. One night you will here someone say something that just clicks in your mind and makes since to you look for that in someone to be your sponsor. A sponsor will keep you on track and help push you forward and not let you slip back.

My biggest advice is to get a sponsor and work the steps. When i was going to meetings regularly and working the steps i was so much happier and my life was feeling so much better. Keep on track your doing great congratulations on 97 days thats awsome.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've never hear of anyone dying from fright
over beginning AA.

I've know people who died because they did
not find their way into solid recovery....

Well done on your sober time
Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great news and they've been some great replies here already so I won't ramble .

But I'm really pleased you're going in - you won't regret it, I've only been to 2 meetings so far but I can't tell you how much better things are.

97 days is brilliant !!! I'm over a week now - feels so good to say that, certainly not something I've been able to say in years !

Well done, and come back and let us know how you get on !

Andy
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you!

Let me share my story of early last year...

I went to a normal (not addiction) counselor and took antabuse for 5 months, life was better that's for sure but i had this niggle that i should be going to AA meetings and even my counselor who was actually not that much pro-AA said you have to go to meetings you are an alcoholic...

I was on SR for all those 5 months and kept saying im going to go to a meeting, i even knew a friend at work who was in AA who had offered to take me down and i still didn't go...

Well i ended up drinking because although life was better it wasn't enough for me, i guess i was dry and not sober by the end...the initial excitement had gone and i hadn't done enough work on myself to handle reality...

So point of all that is if you feel an urge to go to AA, go to AA...get in there whilst you have some sobriety behind you and work the steps like your sobriety depends on it because in my experience, and a load of other people's too, it does!

Let us known how you get on please?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
04-04-2011

Congrats!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great! let us know how you get on!