Notices

Back to stay

Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to stay

Hi Folks,

Last friday I went out from work and got drunk, as was my usual habit. I woke up in my hotel, through luck rather than judgment I think, with the usual feeling of having let myself and my family and friends down. I'd also made sure to do some embarassing stuff so that, again as usual, could spend the weekend worrying about what people would say when I got back to work.

I've been cruising these forums for some time, always thinking - after x, y and z event I'm going to give up drinking - it'll be a good time then ... the good time to give up drinking never came (it had ALWAYS been a good time to give up drinking).

Then I went and looked at the only post I'd made here - it was almost 2 years to the day. At that time I'd spoken about living my life at 10% and was thinking of switching to low alcohol drinks (incidently I did this, and guess what - it started well and ended up with stronger and stronger drinks and I was back to square one). Incidently a lot of people responded to my post and gave me some great advice, I don't even think I said thank you , for which I apologise.

Then, on Sunday evening I finally thought I'll phone AA - it was 11:40pm - I was expecting a recorded message. Maybe even hoping for a recorded message so I could say that it wasn't meant to be. However ... a really great guy picked up - talked me through the most pressing of my worries and suggested I could meet him for a coffee and then go to his meeting the very next day.

Suffice to say I went to that meeting and, although it was only a few days ago, my life is the best it's been seemingly since forever. It was a friendly and brilliant meeting, and guess what, they were normal people - we just had a common problem. Since then I have spoken with folks from that meeting on the phone and I'm feeling so positive. I'm five days without a drink, in two days I'll have not had a drink for a week - now there's something I've not been able to say in many years.

My main reason for writing this post, apart from to express my gratitude to the folks that make wonderful, kind and helpful posts here is that I have seen a good few posts from people wondering if they are an alcoholic and wondering if they do have a problem. I think, that if you wonder if you might have a problem, then you probably do. Please pick up the phone and try a meeting - it might just be the thing to turn your life around.

I know I'm only a few days in here and I know there's going to be some tough days ahead and that it's probably very early on for me to babbling about how good the AA is - but I can't tell you how much relief I feel right now.

I hope to post here a little more regularly now - and I pray that it won't be about relapses.

Good luck and love to you all.

Andy
Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome back. Glad you are here
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR ....
thanks for sharing your good news with us.

I too find AA is an awesome adventure in living sober.
Keep in focus....you never have to drink again.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good luck