Notices

Is this site selling something?

Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Heathen

I've never used AA in my recovery.. and I've never been asked to buy anything here, nor have I ever been told my recovery program or lack there of is anything unacceptable by any means.

The only thing I've got here is all this darn free support, friendship and guidance oozing all over the place..
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have known Carol for years and she is ALWAYS completely fair-minded in dealing with members.

And, Crown, as Carol pointed out, there are plenty of other recovery sites to use. But, it happens, that SR is by far, the best.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Wandering Student of Life

It's nice to see users supporting the site for what it is - a peer-to-peer service.

Don't feed the troll.

SR, you people here are helping me save my life. Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Rev
Awakening

As long as the banner ads don't say, "My man drinks Johnny Walker" or something, I don't have a problem with it. Someone's gotta pay for the servers and bandwidth. If it's all people trying to help me, who am I to complain?

Rev
Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

As has been said before, AA is not affiliated with this site. Below are excerpts from AA's "12 Traditions" that may inform this discussion:

6. An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

7. Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.

8. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.

9. A.A., as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve.

10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Please, don't feed the trolls.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
"REALITY"-----WHAT A CONCEPT!

Firstthe site is not AA and is not affiliated with AA it is a independent site for all types of recovery programs. It does not in anyway take advantage of anyone and doesnt require any form of dues or payments to be able to use its resources. I think it is a wonderful chance for many including me to advance my chances of forming real lasting relationships and enhancing my sobtiety.
:wtf2
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey Crown - How's everything?

As of today, I'm 71 days sober and extremely grateful for the time. I'm still using the Naltrexone, and still grateful to you for providing some inspiration. I'd like to get to a point within the next two to four months that I drop it altogether, but I'm still nervous about that.

In response to your original post, I've never been solicited to buy anything here, and I'd guess the level of pop-ups and other ads is probably below what I've seen on other web pages. I agree that there is a pretty heavy emphasis on AA here, but I think that's at least as much a reflection of the membership as it is the site sponsors. I'm basically a lurker, but in my experience I've never experienced any negativity or backlash based on my lapsed AA/atheist status.

I hope you'll check back in. I'd like to hear how you're doing.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I was going to respond - AA is not for profit and is but ONE of the boards out of about 15 on Sober Recovery and this is not an AA forum but a broad recovery forum that is funded...but then I realised that clearly this idiot is a troll.

Cathy31
x
Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I really don't know how a corporation could do any finer a job of providing cyberspace for a group of people with a common interest than The Mulligan Group... Anyone can see what their business is... just follow the links... thing is, you don't have to, just come in the side door here "/forums" and leave the same way and you'd think this was some kind of oasis, well, it is...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

ok........i cant keep my mouth shut any longer.......
someone, anyone, please tell me what a troll is......
Old 04-20-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A Troll is a member who posts with the intention
of disrupting a site. This is usually done with
fake concern for the site or other members.

Sometimes this back fires on the Troll.....

Thanks everyone for your vote of confidence
in our SR mission of recovery.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have yet to find a site that matches the fair-mindedness and compassionate help available on SR -- help that has clearly been instrumental in changing the lives of hundreds if not thousands of people for free. The quality and commitment of the moderators is clearly beyond reproach, and as has been stated clearly and equivocally, SR is an independent site dedicated to the common good of its members.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

i could barely use a computer when i stumbled across SR.
i spent all my waking hours at first in chat where i made a couple of very good friends in america who i have actually met and will be meeting more this year,all the way from scotland.
when i came off my last drunk over 14 months ago it was SR that i came to first as i couldnt get to a meeting till that night.
SR played a huge part in saving my life.
so im glad the troll posted his nonsense,it gave me a wee chance to say thank you again and to say how grateful i am for SR.
i dont see the advertising,i just come straight to forums,which is magic compared to other websites you can use where you are bombarded with adverts.
rubbish argument,man you must be bored......i used to be like that,picking arguments,that was when i was still in my cups and quiet an unlovely creature......
not today
thanks SR.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Whatever this site's selling, I'm buying

Luckily what it's selling is sobriety and the cost isn't monetary!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Groucho

Congrads my friend on your 71 days...I am doing very well ...I am still on naltrexone also glad it helped you