Notices

Day 4 - First Post

Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Day 4 - First Post

Hi All,

I found this site today - I was a moderate drinker for almost 20 years - A few (3-6) beers in the evening and a couple more on the weekend. I just decided to give it up as I'm sure it was the cause of my anxiety (not to mention the long term affects). It never affected my work/marriage but I found myself wasting a lot of time just drinking and doing pretty much little else.

Withdraw - Not sure if I have any but I do have some headaches and feel a little hot. Sleep like a baby so I hope that won't change. (Better without Alcohol)

I had some Diazepan that was prescribed for flying and after reading this forum I popped one last night when I was feeling a little "uneasy"

I'm not sure if I am an Alcoholic or just an habitual drinker but either way - It was a time/money killer. That goodness I don't smoke.

Thanks for listening and lets hope I can get the balance back again.

Regards
Karl
Old 04-08-2010, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good that you are concerned enough about your drinking to want to do something about it. This is a good place to find information.

Welcome to SR>
Old 04-08-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

Congratulations on your decision to live a healthier life

You are off to a good start
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!

I do hope you find the experience, strength, and hope I have found here over the years.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate

Hey, Sober, congrats on the decision and first steps. I am in the same boat, so I can relate to your experience. I can't count how much time I've speant sitting and drinking beer in the last 18 years, but it is probably staggering! Thanks for posting and keep up the good work!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Haon View Post
Hey, Sober, congrats on the decision and first steps. I am in the same boat, so I can relate to your experience. I can't count how much time I've speant sitting and drinking beer in the last 18 years, but it is probably staggering! Thanks for posting and keep up the good work!
Thing is that I never thought it was a problem (maybe it isn't) but as you get older I think you feel it more. I think another thing that triggered it off was that I was going OFF the taste of beer, that I loved...... perhaps my body was talking to me. I was never drunk, I never threw up - Perhaps it was my escapism where things troubled me less.

I think I am however suffering with some withdrawals.... Is this normal?

A little Achy - Legs etc
Hot'ish
Sore Stomach - Not cramps, more like small spasms.
(mild Nausea)

Thanks for all the encouragement and I will keep going.... I don't crave alcohol at all its just now I have these "holes" in my day that needs to be filled. (hopefully productively) - LOL, lets hope I don't start gambling
Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes.....you are de toxing.....
A little Achy - Legs etc
Hot'ish
Sore Stomach - Not cramps, more like small spasms.
(mild Nausea)
Drink a lot of water...eat small frequent snacks.meals
nothing heavy or spicy for a few more days.
Cut out or way back caffeine....take walks....warm baths.

Be gentle with yourself....pretend you are coming
off a bad case of the flue.....
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Your in the right place. I ws in your shoes 6 months ago and drank 8 beers a day for 10 years. Cold turkey nearly killed me,so listen to your body and some wild things might happen. Just don't go back to drinking,its not worth it. Keep us posted! Welcome to the journey of being sober. Its a whole different world and might not be what you expect. Everything won't be great for awhile,maybe it will! Hopefully it won't be so hard on you as it was on me. No cravings,just the body went into shock and 6 months later my ears are still ringing,go figure!

Wish you well,

Ronnie
Old 04-08-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rondfw777 View Post
Hopefully it won't be so hard on you as it was on me. No cravings,just the body went into shock and 6 months later my ears are still ringing,go figure!

Wish you well,

Ronnie
Cheers Ronnie..

Ears are ringing? Odd

Not sure what to expect..... All these stories are making me even more nervous. Now I'm waiting for the next attack/withdraw symptom (perhaps I'm starting to make them up) ! I am seemingly in good health with a 24 BMI but I'm to **** scared to exercise just in case I've damaged my ticker from all that yummy beer (yes, I loved the taste of the stuff) - Should I wait a while before light physical exercise?