Notices

horrible death

Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

horrible death

At the age of 43 my ex husband has died from liver failure.
He was bloated full of water that cause him to look as though he was 9 months pregnant.
His skin and eyes were yellow he was unable to breathe without oxygen and had unimaginable pain constantly.
Then the vomitting of blood started large amounts, the kidneys then began to fail.
Not being able to make it to the bathroom and laying in your own feces till someone could come clean you up.

Your mind begins to go so you talk in sentance that make no sense to your loved ones.

After ripping all his IV's out and his nose tubes the pain was just unbearable he said I just want to die. I cannot take this anymore.

He said I never thought this would happen to me,even though many doctors told him it would.

This was the last 4 weeks of his life all due to alcoholism.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't post often, but I've kept up with your story and it's really impacted me.

I'm really sorry to read about your loss. When I read of your children having to see their Dad in that state, it broke my heart.

I am also 43. Like your ex-husband, I drank myself into the hospital at 43. I had ascites and my kidneys were only 30% functional. I was there for 25 days and in ICU for 13 of those days. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones that had not reached the stage your ex-husband was at, but I was very close. I've got 2 daughters that had to see me in that state.

Your story really hits me hard. I feel for your children that had to witness their father in that state and now he is gone from their lives.

Please keep us posted on how your family fares. The non-drinker often does not understand how impactful stories like yours are to recovering alcoholics.

/rhn
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so very sorry your family are dealing
with such a tragic death.

By posting here....you may be helping another
alcoholic save their own life.....:thank you.

Prayers of comfort for you and your family
Mega
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Death via alcoholism is just as horrible as you describe, and alcoholics everywhere should see yours as a cautionary tale.

If a drunk is lucky, he/she will just die in a single-vehicle accident or other stupidity. But liver failure has got to be one of the most painful and frustrating ways to die - not to mention the hell you put your family and friends through.

I'm sorry to hear your story but am also glad you posted it. Younger alcoholics in particular don't seem to grasp what excess drinking does to the body. Of all the reasons not to drink, just think of it as willfully poisoning yourself. It's amazing how we'll meticulously maintain our vehicles, lawns, and other possessions while completely ignoring our most important possession of all - our own bodies.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss also, My wifes mother died also of liver failure in hospital 40 something, such a sad tragic waste of human life..I think also she had warnings too, well i hope many like myself sit up and take heed to the proof of prolonged heavy drinkings dangers,i hope also it can serve as a warning to many,the real danger with this way of life.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I watched my dad die the same way. It was the worst thing I've ever seen and I could barely stand to see him. Liver failure caused by alcoholism is a horrible way to die.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First let me offer my condolences to you and your family, I'm very sorry to here of this.

Also..I have to thank you for the post. As an alcoholic I always think "This will never happen to me"..or "I'm only 38 I don't have to worry about alcohol killing me till I'm at least 60". But what you just posted proves you don't have to be old, and it CAN happen to anyone.

Thank you very much for the post that helps to make me/others realize how this can happen to any one of us if we keep up with drinking. I hope you and your family can find some peace in dealing with all this.

Steve
Old 03-10-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This thread got me thinking about the sheer volume of alcohol I consumed. A fifth of scotch per day, or 12-20 beers if it was a beer sorta day. It's something of a miracle that my body survived the torrents of daily punishment it was dished out.

The liver is a pretty awesome organ - incredibly resilient and even self-healing. But there comes a time when even the liver is all, "Screw you dude, I'm outta here," and just stops working. The only problem is that no one can predict an exact time when it will happen - probably why they say,"Alcoholics don't know which drink is going to kill them." A guy in his 30's has no way of knowing whether or not his liver is a particularly 'tough' one or if it will give out below the 'average' time and rate of abuse.

If you're still drinking to excess and reading this, just consider what you are willfully doing to yourself...and consider what your loved ones will have to endure should your liver fail before something else kills you. As if the addiction wasn't enough punishment to your family and friends, why would you want even your death to be difficult for them?

-edited for major typo that changed meaning of word
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I am very, very sorry for your loss.

OTT
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((( warm hug))))

I'm so sorry for your pain. Thanks for sharing your story, I hope it helps others on their sobriety journey
Old 03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is soo sad and very scary at the same time. I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Big hugs and prayers to you and all who loved him.

Amy
Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so very sorry, and will keep you and all who loved him in my prayers.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
seeking recovery

I am very sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Thankyou for sharing this cautionary tragedy.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I was sad to read your post - I am sitting here right now upset because my sister died the same way aged 41.
I feel your sadness and pain.'
Joanne