Notices

One month today!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One month today!

Hi everyone

I have been sober for exactly one month today.

Good things about life now - sleeping well, feeling no guilt/shame every day, cleaning house more, more interest in things..been decorating.

Not so good things about life now - Extreme tiredness even though I'm getting 9 - 10 hours good sleep each night. This is a major issue for me and when it gets really bad, I start thinking about having a drink again.

I haven't been sticking to my recovery plan as such in that I'm not attending meetings, mainly because I'm too tired for the 4 hour round trip at night when I'm feeling exhausted anyway. I stopped taking all the vitamins and I am not sticking to a low carb eating plan, because when I get tired and start wanting a bottle of wine, I eat some chocolate instead. So I'm not losing any wieght, which is crap as I thought I would have lost some by now.

I have started on an anti-depressant and I hope this will help with all the tiredness too.

Mainly I am just trying to keep myself very busy each evening and I love to go to bed early and read a book, although lately, 2 pages is about all I can manage before my eyes start shutting.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Have a good day x
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you have noticed....early sobriety is an up and down time.
Please do continue....it will get easier ..bit by bit.

Congratulations.....
Old 02-15-2010, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Congratulations on one month! Try not to get too discouraged that everything recovery has to offer doesn't happen as soon as we want it to happen. Real change takes time and commitment especially during those times when nothing seems to be changing.

It's important for me to remember that every sober day is a successful day no matter what else happens (or doesn't happen.)
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month. Keep up the good work.
Get back to taking your vitamins. I'm a firm believer in them.
I also changed my addiction to chocolate.I'm not going to admit how much chocolate I was eating at the 1 month mark. But the way I figured it. After eating a bunch of chocolate the last thing I wanted was to drink. I know thats not the way it's supposed to work, but it worked for me. I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any either. I have been sober 11 months and I still have bouts with chocolate. But it's kind of like alcohol. Just don't pick up that first cupcake LoL I wouldn't get upset about not loosing weight. Sobriety is priority one till you get more sober time.
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

grats on 30 days
Old 02-15-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs on making one month sober!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Congratulations!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month! Try not to worry too much about not losing weight. A little chocolate is a whole lot better than drinking. For me, I craved sweets a lot more after I quit drinking, but I still have lost about 15 lbs, even though I eat more. But it took awhile. Give it time.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats!

Originally Posted by Stayinfree View Post
Hi everyone

I have been sober for exactly one month today.

Good things about life now - sleeping well, feeling no guilt/shame every day, cleaning house more, more interest in things..been decorating.

Not so good things about life now - Extreme tiredness even though I'm getting 9 - 10 hours good sleep each night. This is a major issue for me and when it gets really bad, I start thinking about having a drink again.

I haven't been sticking to my recovery plan as such in that I'm not attending meetings, mainly because I'm too tired for the 4 hour round trip at night when I'm feeling exhausted anyway. I stopped taking all the vitamins and I am not sticking to a low carb eating plan, because when I get tired and start wanting a bottle of wine, I eat some chocolate instead. So I'm not losing any wieght, which is crap as I thought I would have lost some by now.

I have started on an anti-depressant and I hope this will help with all the tiredness too.

Mainly I am just trying to keep myself very busy each evening and I love to go to bed early and read a book, although lately, 2 pages is about all I can manage before my eyes start shutting.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Have a good day x
I can definitely relate to the extreme tiredness. Im on day 24 now myself. Hopefully it will get better with time!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month! I remember how I felt 2 weeks ago when I hit a month. Proud!
I plan to stay that way. The alcohol is out of my system and I'm feeling things, like happy, for the first time in a long time.
Just keep doing what you're doing. It only gets better.

Best wishes,

Ghost
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey and Congrats!

I will join in and say that my first few months had alot of physical/mental/emotional ups and downs. My body had to become accommodated to no alcohol, and what a roller-coaster ride it was!

First I gained 20 pounds, then I lost 30 pounds. I'd cry for days, then soar on life's beauty for days, then laugh and cry at the same time for days. I'd be exhausted then full of energy, sometimes exhausted and energetic at the same time!

It's like my body was jumping from one extreme to another, trying to find a happy medium.

Eventually -- it found a happy medium. But it took alot of ups and downs to find it. It was WORTH sticking through it all.

I hope you stick through it too. Keep coming back and keep posting!