Notices

Hangovers

Old 02-14-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Hangovers

There are so many awful things about being an alcoholic but for me the worst had to be hangovers. I would get /so sick/ and stay sick all day. I wasn't a daily drinker but when I did drink I drank way too much and the hangovers were crippling. Nausea, headache, malaise, self loathing even if nothing happened. Darkness. Depression. Anxiety. Exhaustion.

More than wanting to not mistreat people, more than wanting to avoid blackouts, more than wanting to avoid acting stupid, more than wanting to avoid the risks, I want to avoid ever experiencing a hangover ever again. I suppose that's a bit selfish - it's the consequence that effects me the most that motivates me. Whatever works I suppose.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have not had a hangover for more than a year now.
Don't miss it either..
Look better and feel better..
Old 02-14-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
I want to avoid ever experiencing a hangover ever again. I suppose that's a bit selfish
I can't see what is selfish by wanting to be healthy.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hangovers oh yeah!!, had a couple of major cranium splitters of late..Ones that can
turn you into a raging monster..At your wife for like stirring your coffee the wrong way
round!! or havin the heating switched up to 3 on a warm day wasting electricity...
You know the petulance that comes into play!... Everything and everybody is to blame
for the sickness and mentall torment youre feelin... ALL you guys who are well on youre
way to being happy and free from this craziness!! trust me you never wanna return..
IF you got any sense.. AM gonna start a fresh morrow morn..As back to work and make
another big attempt to get back on track.. BEST OF LUCK to fellow strugglers!!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My hangovers were brutal. I would have this crushing pain in my chest, could barely breathe, my ears were always stopped up and ringing, I was so disoriented I couldn't drive, etc. But this was after a several day bender-I can't drink for just one night, so I guess I don't know what those hangovers are like. Whatever motivates you to stop drinking, I say go with it!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Have you ever had diahrreah and vomiting at the same time? What a mess...

Hangovers were terrible till I discovered the morning (or afternoon, whenever I "came to") cure of a couple shots to get me going again. Plus I'd usually have some dry goods handy.

The worst part of active alcoholism for me was the depression. Alcohol is a severe depressant. When the book talks about a "Thick black cloud setting in" I know exactly what it means...
Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

I'm so happy not having to wake up feeling like that anymore.

I always had really huge physical hangovers and the feeling of depression, anxiety and guilt was crippling too. Every time I binged, not only that half day, but also that day after would be lost. In the end, the rythm was binge day, hangover day, binge day, hangover day and that was all I did for several months.

Needless to say I wasn't functioning anymore. After 8 months, the memory of this vicious circle is still pretty fresh. It's definitely is one of the big motivators for me not to drink again.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If the hangover had just been a headache or nausea, that would have been manageable (though not desirable--let me finish). My hangovers involved complete existential breakdowns as well as the physical discomforts. The depressions were epic and lasted days. A big night out meant a three day recovery--mentally. The despair was brutal, like my life had become completely unraveled. There was panic anywhere my mind reached. Then, miraculously, day four arrived of not drinking and mental balance was restored. I would wonder why I got so depressed, or let my mind go where it did. I would ask other people who drank heavily if they ever had the "despair" and existential breakdown that so inflicted me. No one else seemed to. So I would think next time I would figure it out--of course I never have.

I've yet to find an answer for why I have my particular brand of hangover.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mine were awful and got worse the longer I drank. Would be so sick for several days and the anxiety was crippling. I never want to hurt myself that way again.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Daniel

I had the same kind of hangovers.

Alcohol withdrawal can cause panic attacks -- this description from MyPaperAnchor might mirror yours:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1644362

(It's a post in the forum sticky above called "Quitting..What to expect ..What we did")

You're definitely not alone there ...
Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

DanielP ...

Welcome to SR and to our Alcoholism Forum

Yes you too can quit and stay quit.
Have you chekced out your local AA?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My o' my

Hi,

I have only been hung over once in my life
and i never want to be again. Why being you
forget what you are suppose to do for the day
and it comes with a lot of headaches, laziness
and sadness. Please avoid this feeling for it is the
worst in the world.

sincerely
Old 02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I know this is a bit gross and also makes me sound a bit stupid/dense, but when I was drinking, it never really occurred to me that my morning episodes of gastrointestinal distress (eg. beer *****, toxic foul gas etc.) were all a direct result of having drunk alcohol the night before. Of course, I'd have the other symptoms of a hangover as well: red eyes, aching head, dehydration, fatigue etc. If it were any other sort of 'food allergy' or negative reaction, I would have probably made the necessary connection immediately. Even if I drank only once or twice a week, it started dragging on me for up to two days afterward.

Being sober means I finally enjoy a life that most people recognize as 'normal'.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for being "real" because this is soooo true and I am sure for others too...
Old 02-16-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aqua4017 View Post
My hangovers were brutal. I would have this crushing pain in my chest, could barely breathe, my ears were always stopped up and ringing, I was so disoriented I couldn't drive, etc. But this was after a several day bender-I can't drink for just one night, so I guess I don't know what those hangovers are like. Whatever motivates you to stop drinking, I say go with it!
that sounds familiar i remember those and feeling as dizzy as f***, absolutely HATED it!!! but still carried on going back for more punishment, thats real insanity