Notices

Retread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Retread

I went to an AA meeting last night and picked up my 30 day chip. I only knew one other person there; this meeting was not my home group as they only give out chips once a month.

This time around I have not gone to very many meetings. I feel like my stops-start-stop-start-stop-start over the last twelve months is a bit of an embarrassment. When I do go to meetings in my home group, I just sort of slink in and slink out. There's another meeting nearby, also, which I have gone to once or twice. I don't know anyone there either, so it's easy to slink in and out there, too.

I listen to the shares, I relate to some of it, it reminds me that I have much to be grateful for in sobriety, but I don't feel compelled to go to a bunch of meetings like I did early last year. I feel like the people in the groups who I did get to know have lost faith in me, and that it's up to me alone to decide if I'm really going to walk this path or not.

I know that's not how I'm supposed to feel about it, but that's how it feels for me right now.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Although I'm admittedly not much of an AA person...I do practice an addiction treatment program to get and maintain better health. I do this regardless of how other people may or may not feel about me. I have been severely embarrassed with my alcoholism more than once. I will not be embarrassed because of my treatment efforts. I can't afford to...there is too much at stake.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm.....
I was in AA 5 years before I earned a 1 year medallion.

Chips were not given in my home group ...but you were asked
to raise your hand if you were in your first 30 days.
I can relate to being embarrassed Laura....

I did keep going back tho and no one made me feel
unwelcomed. I also went to other groups for variety.

For over 20 years I've made it a point to never go
5 days without a meeting. I perfer to attend
3 weekly for my emotional balance.

Glad to know you are moving forward.....
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My stance on chips is that i dont need one to tell me i am sober, that said i know at the year marks i will probably take one, go red, and be kicking the ground muttering stop looking at me whilst i do lol
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement. I still don't know exactly how I feel about this; I'm becoming fairly content only going to a meeting here and there as a reminder of where I'm headed if I don't stay sober. I'm not drinking, which is the main thing.