Notices

3 years sober last week

Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 years sober last week

I can't believe I have made it this far. I look back on the night I decided to stop. I was so terrified. How could I live sober? Impossible! Or if possible, not worth it! How horrible. A fate worse than death.

My god, what horrible, deluded thinking. I still get cravings, and sobriety is no perfect, peaceful walk in the park, but it sure as hell beats wondering who you were last night, or how badly you will feel in the morning or where you will get that extra six pack absolutely need at 2:00 am.

Anyone out there struggling with day one, you can do it. Life is better with alcohol. Believe me. Sometimes I want to give in, sometimes the days are long, but they never get as bad and confused as they were three years ago.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Congrats on your 3 years... great milestone! You're an inspiration to those of us not there yet. Sometimes I have a hard night here and there, and just knowing there are others out there who've made it is a big help. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulations on three years!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations Chango.I hope to be where you are some day.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Chango

D
Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done.....
Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go ((Chango))!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congrats

Great job,,I knowwhat u mean,,Im a little over 2 now and stressin over work, Gee wiss not to long ago i was in jail no job no home, no money, and in the sherifs car on my way to treatment,, wow now im workin helpin others in recovery, and feelin greatfu that you have another year of sober time,,slowly its becomming more about you and less about me,,thanks for the reminder and great job,, keep it up..
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chango View Post
Anyone out there struggling with day one, you can do it. Life is better with alcohol. Believe me. Sometimes I want to give in, sometimes the days are long, but they never get as bad and confused as they were three years ago.
Man you ether made typo or you are in the wrong forum
Old 01-05-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chango:
Life is better with alcohol. Believe me.
Definitely a typo, and a very amusing one too.

Congratulations on your 3 years, Chango, that's a real inspiration.

Chango:
I still get cravings, and sobriety is no perfect, peaceful walk in the park, but it sure as hell beats wondering who you were last night, or how badly you will feel in the morning or where you will get that extra six pack absolutely need at 2:00 am.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm on day 144 sober today and I know how frustrating those moments are when the temptation to have a drink seems so, so reasonable. I'll just have a day off, I think to myself, and buy a nice bottle of something I really like, maybe a bottle of port or Baileys Irish Cream and a few cans of beer to go with it and of course I'll need some snacks, crisps and peanuts and a big Hawaiian pizza, and I'll get a couple of newspapers and a few magazines and I'll prop myself up on my bed with about 4 pillows and the radio on and have a lovely afternoon...

At this point I thank my lucky stars I'm sober and rational enough to "play the tape to the end". (Marvellous phrase that, it's saved my sobriety dozens of times.) I fast forward in my mind past the drunken, dreamy, happy, hazy afternoon in my bedroom to the inevitable nightmare scenario the next morning.

Waking up with my throat parched, rising nausea and a vague sense of something really bad having happened, or about to happen. Fear of thinking about it. Reaching out for a glass of something to quench my thirst and realising my fingers are trembling. Oh God, not the shakes again, not that. I'm going to have to get through the day somehow. My brain is all muzzy, I look like **** and I've got to go to work feeling ill. Or even worse I have the day off, in which case I'll just have another beer or two to get me over this feeling of depression sweeping through me...yes, that'll sort me out.

The whole nightmare carousel starts all over again. The daily struggle with active alcoholism resumes. The diahhroea, the shakes, the sweating when talking to people, the dizziness, the lunchtime drinking to get through the afternoon at work, the knocking off from work early, the endless blanked out evenings, the exhaustion, the puking from too much booze or not enough, the inappropriate behaviour, the secrecy, the loss of friends, the loss of self respect, the paranoia, the depression, the raging anxiety, the thoughts of suicide. Oh God, please help me! I'll have to quit again. AGAIN! That means starting from day 1 again. I don't know if I've got the strength this time. Aaaaargh.

But wait, it's day 144 and none of the above has happened. Woohoo, I'm sober and healthy and have beaten another attack of the cravings. I rock.

Chango:
Here, here.

Cloud8:
Im a little over 2 now and stressin over work, Gee wiss not to long ago i was in jail no job no home, no money, and in the sherifs car on my way to treatment,, wow now im workin helpin others in recovery, and feelin greatfu that you have another year of sober time,,slowly its becomming more about you and less about me,,thanks for the reminder and great job,, keep it up..
So true. Life is better without alcohol. There's no contest. I'll need reminding of that every day for the rest of my life, but I don't mind. It's better than the alternative..

Now for that pizza and a diet Coke.

Bananaman.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Congratulations on 3!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations Change! And wonderful post Banana...it brought back all the despair and hopelessness. But you all are right, sobriety is sooooooo much better and the way I feel this morning gives me a sense of serenity, inner strength and peace of mind much more powerful than a drink ever could.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

3 years is amazing, congrats.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
6/20/08

3 years! Congratulations!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats chango...3 years is something to be proud of! Great post...thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chango View Post
I can't believe I have made it this far. I look back on the night I decided to stop. I was so terrified. How could I live sober? Impossible! Or if possible, not worth it! How horrible. A fate worse than death.

My god, what horrible, deluded thinking. I still get cravings, and sobriety is no perfect, peaceful walk in the park, but it sure as hell beats wondering who you were last night, or how badly you will feel in the morning or where you will get that extra six pack absolutely need at 2:00 am.

Great Message!!! Outstanding Job on 3 Big Years!!! 7
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ha ha, definitely a typo. I tried to post last week, but it wouldn't let me through. My first 3 posts were more coherent and better proofread.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Part of me can't believe I have made it this far. Through so much fear and hopelessness and struggle. The last two years have not been easy. You can check my posting history. Surgery, death, loneliness. I almost folded a few times this year, but I always think back to that night I gave it up. I never want to be that scared and helpless again, all over some terrible fermented poison. What's the use of it?

Luckily I am convinced that I cannot drink moderately. It took me a few failures before I realized that I can't moderate my drinking. I might be able to do it for one night, or two, or two months, or even two years, but I know deep down I will end up back in that same place I was that night 3 years ago, terrified and helpless. Whatever pleasure alcohol gives, it's not worth going back. And I can never drink again. Some people see that as a fate worse than death. And at some point I did too. But now I see never being able to drink again a blessing. One that I am very thankful for, no matter how hard the long days or nights can be.