Notices

Confused

Old 12-06-2009, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

I need advice. I know I'm an alcoholic, and knew this before I even met my husband. But, my story isn't dramatic- i never got a DUI, never missed a day of work, and most people don't even know I have a problem. My own parents (who used to be my drinking buddies) deny that I'm an alcoholic. I would say the most I've ever drunk is a bottle of wine, then I either pass out or throw up and pass out. I did have frequent blackouts.

My problem is this- after being sober for 6 years, I recently relapsed. I talked myself into thinking I could handle drinking. I am afraid of doing this again. I read stories about detoxing (I never drank enough to be physically dependent on it) and think "Oh, I'm different" and I know this is stinkin'thinkin. Please help.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Keltie
Sorry, but I don't understand what you are confused about, or want help with.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Is it going thru withdrawal you're afraid of? I would advise seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru detox.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Keltie, yes I too relapsed after 15 years thinking I could once again drink normally, big surprise all those things I said didnt' happen to me yet, finally did. When I finally asked for help I went right back into the rooms of AA and have been working a very different program this time, I realized I stopped believing I was powerless over the first drink.

Good luck with your recovery.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keltie View Post
I need advice. I know I'm an alcoholic... I would say the most I've ever drunk is a bottle of wine, then I either pass out or throw up and pass out. I did have frequent blackouts...

My problem is this- after being sober for 6 years, I recently relapsed.
Please help.
Hi Keltie. It doesn't get any better after a few years, does it? You are obviously convinced that you are an alcoholic and you have convinced me. You stayed sober for six years so you don't need anyone to tell you how to stay sober. It sounds as if you want a guarantee that you won't drink again after a time of sobriety. I think you know there is no guarantees, Keltie. I know you are scared now, but you will get back on solid ground and back to confidant living again. We don't get gaurantees, but we do have a choice each and every day. We can choose sobriety or we can choose to drink. You just make your choice each day. I wish you all the best.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hope3

When I was sober for a period of time, and relasped I realized I needed

to do more than just stop drinking, I had to look at the causes and affects...

AA has taught me how to live joyfully and serene, most of the time..

best wishes,

hope3
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Keltie,

My experiences are similar to yours... I never allowed my drinking to interfere with work, etc... Nobody but my husband would suspect for a second that I was an alcoholic. I hid it well, and although I had many a hangover, I never blacked out or did a lot of "steriotypical" rock bottom things.

YET.

Meaning- I knew I had a problem. It's only because I stopped drinking that I didn't do any of those things. I tried to rationalize that maybe I COULD drink because I had never blacked out, killed someone driving, yada yada... and that led to several more months in which my drinking problem and patterns only escalated.

The best thing I ever did for myself was get past that "I'm different". We are ALL different. We come in all shapes and sizes, liquor drinkers, wine drinkers, etc... Yet we all have a common problem.

I am only a few months into my sobriety but each day is a choice. And some days I DO have to remind myself that I'm no different- - alchohol is a one-way ticket for me. I am filled with gratitude for each day that I remember these things and wake up the next day happy and hangover free.

Glad you're here...
Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR.....

Please do talk honestly with your doctor about
how to de tox safely. You might have a more
dangerous time than before.

When I decided to quit....none of my drinking friends
thought I needed to. I knew I did
and it sounds as tho you know too.

Glad to see you here.
Blessings to you and your family
Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. I hope you'll stay and share more of your story.