Notices

Football and Beer

Old 10-17-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LBW

Football and Beer

My husband and I are University of Texas graduates. We were watching the BIG game today with OU... what a game! Very close but UT pulled it out. UT is #3 in the nation right now but the top 2 teams must play each other at some point, so if UT wins the rest of our games... then we're going to the National Championships to play the winner of the top 2.... Just like 2005.

2005 was the greatest UT football season I have ever seen! I was a newly-wed and we went to every game. I got completely bombed every Saturday. The day we won the national championship was the most fun, happiest day of my life. Seriously, I considered naming my child after Vince Young.

With today's win, the excitement of 2005 just came rushing back to me.... and of course, the first thing I think of is "how can I go the whole rest of my life watching football games and not drinking???"

I look over at my husband, who drank as much as I did back then, and who is not drinking with me right now. I'm thinking, "if I were you and not pregnant, I would so want a beer right now"... But it doesn't seem to occur to him.

I think for me the excitement of that 2005 season was tied to drinking. Drinking was a very key part of it for me. For him, drinking was just some non-important detail.

It was still fun watching the game today. I didn't even think about drinking until we won and I got really excited. I guess I'm just going to have to continue to form new memories of watching exciting games without drinking beer.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's why the first year is challenging... get through football season, holidays, new year, summertime... and there you go...

While yesterday's sobriety won't necessarily keep me sober today, knowing I've been here, done it sober, well... I can do it again...

Think of all those normal people and non-drinkers, it's the most natural thing for them... It can be for us too!!

Mark
Old 10-17-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A football game is just an "excuse " to drink. There will always be something, until you change the way you think.
I know a football game can be a huge lot of fun. I live in Kansas city, and although the Chiefs suck right now, Arrowhead stadium has always been a big party. BUT when I drank I never looked at all the people that weren't drinking. (I did that everywhere). Not everyone even leaves a bar drunk(I always did)
I would guess less than 5 or 10% get drunk at a Chiefs game, but maybe 60% have a beer or two.
I could go a game tomorrow and have no desire at all to drink. I am done.
Write down on a list how drinking makes it more fun. I think it boils down to one thing. (the buzz).
If you are like me a small (buzz) is never enough. I think I have the monkey off of my back riow and I don't want the buzz anymore BUT if I have just one beer, I'll need at least 12. I have only been sober 7 months (I know you have gone longer), but I just came to the point that I have had enough.
I think everyone has to reach that point to quit.
Just my ramblings. Not saying you are like me.
Fred
Old 10-17-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Though I can't comment on drinking and football (because I'm not much of a football fan--which is not to say I haven't used it as an excuse to drink), but between this, the "having fun" thread, and others...I'm sensing that you don't really want to quit. Maybe you want to want to quit? That's very different. And I'm not going to suggest to you that you won't be successful until you finally reach a point of really wanting it, but I can give you my experience.

I knew for a very long time that my drinking was abnormal. Both my pregnancies were confirmed at five weeks, and I somehow managed to stay away from everything in my first pregnancy. The second, I justified "one wine spritzer" -- at my doctor's suggestion. It was obvious after drinking one very scant glass of wine mixed with Sprite that I wasn't going to want to stop at one. Pouring out the rest of the wine was difficult, to say the least. I had many rough patches, especially in that second pregnancy when I wanted to drink sooo badly. I didn't, not after the one time, but it was hard.

I wanted to be a good mom. I really did. And I knew that not drinking would help me. I just didn't want to quit drinking for any other reason, didn't really think my occasional blow-outs caused all that many problems. I had drinking consequences in the past, but I blamed them on youth. And who suffered besides me? If I could put up with the hangovers, it wasn't any one else's business. Or so I thought.

I don't know what it will take for you. Ideally, embracing the idea of a life unmuffled by the effects of booze is the best way, but most of us don't come to it in that way. Most of us have to see consequences, not only to ourselves, but to others. Will it be a DUI? Will it be health consequences? Will it be divorce, or the disgust of your family? Will it be losing your kids like I did for a year and a half? Or worse?

If you can't imagine or accomplish having "just one," if you believe yourself to be alcoholic, then you probably should understand that alcoholics are by nature pretty immature creatures. A large part of getting sober is becoming willing to grow up and be responsible. That doesn't mean becoming boring and dull. I have so much more fun sober than I ever had drunk, and a big part of that is not having to self-flagellate every time I realize "I did it again."

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ Never

Yes, the Chiefs are awful this year. And tailgating is huuuuge @ Arrowhead. It's one of the unique things about KC.

But I agree, you don't have to drink to enjoy the atmosphere and the game.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Boy can I ever relate. Saturday cookouts, or a bunch of people at the bar watching multiple games and getting smashed was a big part of my drinking days. I can't afford the luxury of thoughts like this anymore.

By the way Florida is losing to Arkansas in the 4th quarter! Roll Tide!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Chit Florida just went ahead!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The very best thing about being sober and watching football
I not only know who won.....but how....

Go Falcons ....I now watch football with and Diet Coke

Drastic changes in my attitude and lifestyle have
been vital for my recovery to continue and grow.
I'm so glad I made each one
Old 10-17-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know this is lame.. but I tried once to not drink on football sunday, and after my Texans won against the rival titans in a hard fought game I told myself I would just have 1. lol sure enough I had 10....
Old 10-17-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Who played in the Super Bowl last year? lol
Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey, Ron, thank you for that. & LBW for the thread...

You reminded me that in the last few years, I haven't followed anything, not just football. Sure, I blamed it on other stuff, like work schedules/ school/ even the Dodgers' general manager (hey, I couldn't remember who wore blue if I missed a game). None of those explained why I'd be half passed out on weekend mornings...

Going to the games hasn't been a problem for me the last few years considering my social life is nonexistent--roughly since I started drinking so much. One begat the other. Anyway, I think I'll start following football right now. It'll give me something to pay attention to, and might keep me some kind of grounded this time again.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking and sports has never really gone hand in hand for me though someone might think I was drunk the way I yell and curse at the tv while watching basketball...
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I watched that very game. Sober. It's possible to enjoy games w/o alcohol, for sure.

And thankfully, Texas will not fall into the Gulf on Mexico this year, because OU still sucks!! (sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

the first superbowl I was sober I went to the club for the sober party.

my COLTS won that year.

and I got through it sober.

It's easier with time. Everything is, actually.

I haven't watched any football this year - I don't have a tv.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

College football saturday used to equal me being smashed. And, as a OU fan, after our bowl games (when was the last time we won one??) I would get extra-super smashed because we lost, lol.

This is my first year of college football sobriety and I am finding I enjoy it just as much. I went to a big party on saturday to watch the game and everyone was drinking except me. It seems to bother other people more than it bothers me.

Also, remember in 2003 when we beat UT 65-13? What a great game -- haha :P