Notices

Dreams of using

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams of using

I'm about 40 days sober now, and been doing real good. Haven't had many urges at all, maybe a thought here and there but just passing thoughts at the most. But the past week I've had at least 2 maybe even 3 (can't remember how man for sure) but a couple dreams about drinking. Dreams so vivid that I wake up and actually think I have drank till about 30 seconds-1min after I wake up and realize it was just a dream.

I've searched the site and found topics on this, as well as "googled" it and found topics about this under Dr.Drew penski where he talks about these dreams and how it's just your mind of a recovering addict wanting to drink and playing tricks on you. So I know I'm not any different than anyone else. But...can anyone else just reassure me that this is normal just for my own piece of mind? this is normal right, even after this long??

Steve
Old 09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's completely and utterly normal DW

I don't ascribe any meaning to them at all.

The search function is playing up for me right now, but here's one of the many many threads we've had on this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html

D
Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After nearly eight months, had a wild one last night. The first one, actually, where I didn't wake up before actually drinking. I thought maybe it was like waking up before reaching the ground in a falling dream. Not last night. No big deal. I figure I built drinking-related patterns and engrams in my brain for twenty years that now lay dormant. Unless my brain has a way to eventually reallocate all those neurons, they're probably going to fire once in a while.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Like I said I know it is normal from what I hear, but you know how it is....maybe I'm just being a bit goofy, but I needed to hear for sure that is IS normal no matter what ya know, because it kind'a scared me a bit I guess lol.

Dee...thanks for the link, love this line in that link -
"Tiger Woods dreams about golf. An addict dreams about using."
Cool anology!

Thanks guys, guess I'm not special...good to hear!

Steve
Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

l dream that l am looking in a mirror and my eyes are puffed up and bloodshot, like they used to be, and in my dream l know l will have to go through detox again.
Makes me feel uneasy all day.

"You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough."
Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have dreams about using all the time lately, or dreams where I magically find some pills on my carpet, really desparate pathetic stuff haha.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally normal , I have had a fair share of dreams where I'm drinking , using or smoking. Incidentally when I was drinking, using and smoking I never got such dreams.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have them too, yet when i was drinking i never did, just last night i had a dream so vivid it took me a while to realise it wasnt happening, i could see the bottle of sherry on the floor, it was my choice of drink before, i picked it up and took a swig, i could actually taste it in my mouth, and i dreamt i was in the pub too, there was music and it was so real and clear, kind of freaks me out a bit but i know its just my mind playing tricks, glad i'm not the only one,
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whats up DayWalker... yeah totally normal. I haven't had one in about a month I think. But during the first 3 months of sobriety it was fairly common. Often my dreams would center around not being able to fill my desire. Like freaking out because I didn't have enough money on me after taking a few drinks... I remember one morning in particular I woke up shaking it was so vivid. Then ahhhh...... just a dream. Or a nightmare rather. Thank god I don't have to live my nightmare anymore. Stay strong!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yea, I still get them, always very vivid and I wake up and it takes a minute or two to realize it wasn't real...

I went back to sleep this morning after I got up early. I dreamed I was in a video game and I was a fish fillet sandwich going into deep space and I had to avoid the gravitational pull of other fish fillet sandwiches....

I don't know what that means.... hmmm....

Mark
Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't had a drinking dream, but last night I dreamed that I smoked pot, which I rarely smoked.

It was weird though, because I could feel the buzz in my sleep.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just woke up and there are Filet-O-Fish wrappers everywhere. What the...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I dream about using a lot. It takes me time when I wake up to realize it's just a dream. My last drug dream was so weird, I was doing drugs in "progression". I started out smoking pot, then I picked up benzos, then I went to Oxy, then I was smoking crack. I woke up with a start. I was so flipped out. I hate those dreams but it sure does make me grateful when I wake up!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

ScaryStory.....Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have had them too, woke up this morning and I had just bought 5 ecstacy pills off an old school mate then my alarm went off for work. Madness, first drug dream i've had for a long time. They don't bother me anymore, in fact I think they help remind me why I'm so glad I am sober.
I still get drinking dreams from time to time too.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had drinking dreams too. I wake up and it takes me a minute before I feel relief because I realize it was just a dream. It's almost like I panic for a minute. What a way to start the day!

I have also woken up with "phantom hangovers". I feel like I have a hang over, but I didn't drink the night before. Those don't last long, but when you first wake up, they do mess with your head as well.