Notices

buzzing in my head

Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

buzzing in my head

when i was drinking, either during the session or during the horrendous hangover period afterwards, i would sometimes get the strangest sensation in my head, its very difficult to describe so i cant really search for posts to see if anyone else has had it, it was a bit like an electric shock in my head and for a few seconds i would nearly pass out, it wasnt painful but it was REALLY unpleasant,
obviously i dont get it anymore but i cant stop worrying what it might have been, so i gotta ask if you can make sense of my post did anyone else ever have the 'brain buzz'? my brain also still feels abit foggy at times but i guess thats to be expected
Old 09-17-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cant say i did.....put your mind at rest and go see the doc.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I've been in situations like the supermarket in withdrawal , my brain
felt like it was going to break down or explode, sometimes I thought I was going blind and/or deaf believe it or not!, I got the passing out/going to faint feeling, many times I thought I was dying, really!

I got it drunk/high too in the end, because my tolerance was so sky high.On my last run, I pretty much
felt those feelings you described sober and high.

Like your brain is frying and going to cut out?

I think it's extreme anxiety and nothing to get too worried about.

spicedt84.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yes, god i remember the dreaded supermarket with the really bright lights, i suppose it did feel abit like my brain was frying, really difficult to explain
Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Anxiety can 'provoke' symptoms such as you have described. As Trucker says, see a doc. Best wishes
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Please see your doctor.

And to answer, no I never had that experience.. maybe something close but I found out I was drinking so much I was having seizures and should have died several times. But that's just me.

Sounds like a good reason not to drink!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would ask a Doc just to be on the safe side. When I quit though it took about 2 months to feel normal again. The post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) will vary greatly depending on the amount and length of time you were drinking. Some people are lucky and don't experience it at all.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you are writing about.

I had the "electric shocks" in my head for days after quitting. I asked my doc about it. It has to do with the lack of serotonin in the nerve endings of the brain. It's not dangerous, but I agree that it is unpleasant.

Someone who abruptly stops taking an SSRI anti-depressant will experience the exact same sensation for weeks until the brain re-learns to deal with serotonin without the medicinal aid.

Nevertheless, there is a chance we are not writing about the same sensation, so speak to your doc.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by juliwuli View Post
when i was drinking, either during the session or during the horrendous hangover period afterwards, i would sometimes get the strangest sensation in my head, its very difficult to describe so i cant really search for posts to see if anyone else has had it, it was a bit like an electric shock in my head and for a few seconds i would nearly pass out, it wasnt painful but it was REALLY unpleasant,
obviously i dont get it anymore but i cant stop worrying what it might have been, so i gotta ask if you can make sense of my post did anyone else ever have the 'brain buzz'? my brain also still feels abit foggy at times but i guess thats to be expected
Yeah agree with others see a doc just be safe. In my experience, my withdrawals started with being sick, depressed. Then the 'unusual' stuff started to happen as I got older and more into drinking. The first of which was similar to what you describe and I started to realise what I was experiencing was little more than a bad hangover.

Might not be the same, drinking does weird stuff to you. My eyes would blink or would temporarily be blinded and I would see white lights.

Eventually I got the full blown withdrawall symptoms
Alcohol withdrawal syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The solution was to stop drinking so much alcohol which for me means stop drinking altogether!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rhnorment View Post
I know exactly what you are writing about.

I had the "electric shocks" in my head for days after quitting. I asked my doc about it. It has to do with the lack of serotonin in the nerve endings of the brain. It's not dangerous, but I agree that it is unpleasant.

Someone who abruptly stops taking an SSRI anti-depressant will experience the exact same sensation for weeks until the brain re-learns to deal with serotonin without the medicinal aid.

Nevertheless, there is a chance we are not writing about the same sensation, so speak to your doc.

I had that when I quit taking my anxiety meds. I rushed to the ER in a panic and it's like rhnorment said, lack of serotonin....I would def. pass it by your doc but I know exactly how you feel. Very scary feeling!!!

HANG in there!
Jade
Old 09-17-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another vote for the Dr here Juli

D
Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had that type of symptom after I stopped drinking. It went away completely after 2 months and has not recurred. I went to a doctor and neurologist and they didn't seem concerned about that. I looked up on the Internet about it and couldn't find much help. It doesn't appear to be a common alcohol withdrawal symptom, but that had to be it for me, since I am not and was not on any other medication. Brain zaps are common with SSRI withdrawal. But alcohol withdrawal causes your nervous system to go into overdrive, so it sounds reasonable that it can happen as a result of alcohol withdrawal. I know how you were feeling--it is a scary symptom. I thought I had a brain tumor or something. I had a brain CT scan as a result, and everything was fine.