Notices

Controversial topics

Old 09-12-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Controversial topics

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

The forums are for personal peer support. We are here to get help or share our experience with others and give help. We have controversial topics come up from time to time, but right now there are 4 threads with the same controversial topic and discussions. This is not what we use the forums for and distracts those who are seriously seeking support.

Please share your experience with others here and start a Blog and use the Blogs to continue these controversial discussions.

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Blogs

You can also blog any post by pushing the little blog button .

Thanks,
MG
Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

MG

I imagine the 4 you refer to are:

a) Success with the sinclair method
b) Recovia - an imaginary drug
c) Would you give your child recovia
d) If there was a cure

and I assume from what you've quoted and highlighted above that you believe there is a prosletysing element on behalf of the sinclair method

I think it is worth noting:
The first was strarted by someone talking about their own particular journey and in any case is now locked, the second was started by one of your long-time members here who obviously has belief in or advocacy for the the method. The third again refers to a personal journey of the person starting the thread. The fourth was started by me, so let me explain my purpose in that thread. It was to examine some fundamental questions about the nature of alcholism. Several 'neutral' (if you wish to label them such) picked up on this. It examines the nature vs nurture argument and what recovery actually means. To have deeper understanding of these issues would I feel be of benefit to any individual, alcoholic or not, irrespective of whatever methodology they may choose to address their problem.

I have striven to be respectful of others, and their views, in every post I've made. I'm not seeking to convert anyone. I'm seeking better understanding from people who may (and often will) have differing views to my own. I'm seeking my way out of my problems and drawing support through the views of others. I'd hope that by giving my views in a non-confrontational manner, as I simultaneously seek the views of others, than I may be able to help others with their own struggles.

At the end of the day it is your forum and you'll do as you see fit. But I'd hope you'd take on board what I say above and accept my bona fides.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tks for the post and swift intervention. I was wondering about those topics. They are distracting and can ultimately threaten the integrity of the whole board.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm curious as to why you feel that faulkner?

Do you feel I am trying to destroy the board? Or is it the subject matter that you feel brings this danger?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take the best, leave the rest.

And always remember, this is "Sober Recovery" not "Sober Recovered" or "Sober Wishing"

When I first came here I was still very actively drinking, but I looked at these boards as a 24 hour meeting. If I woke up in the middle of the night craving, my computer was closer than a bottle.

Yeah, I slipped up plenty. We all do and have. But the support and personal journeys are why I am here and (just like alcohol) always lurk around.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Thank you MG!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For those of you who have difficulty following directions:

Do not use this thread about taking controversial topics to the blogs as an excuse to start a discussion about controversial topics.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
Old 09-13-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take it then that

(a) you don't accept my bona fides, and
(b) I'm suppose to accept someone accusing me of trying to destroy this forum

Maybe I should just find somewhere else to post.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

This wasn't about you OneForTheRoad. Don't make it about you.

You started 2 threads and there are 2 other threads and a couple of threads on other forums.

You are always welcome to share your own experience with others and talk about your own treatment and success and struggles.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

Thanks to the mods!!

I should get out more, I have no idea what anyone is talking about but I do appreciate the work that goes in to making these forums a safe place for all.