# 1 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Post Tough DUI laws

China reverses death penalty in drunk driving case - *****! News

Life in prison
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

This reminds me of the "100% Cure" that Chairman Mao had for alcohol and drug addicts back in the 60's.

He injected them with bullets.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is a difficult topic.
Due to a recent Mo. Supreme Ct. decision I was able to get my license back after multiple convictions.I truly believed I was going to prison though and this made me take a hard look at my own behavior and come to the conclusion that I was an alcoholic.I got into an inpatient program,followed up with an outpatient program and attended 3-4 AA mtgs a week.
For once in my life I did what others told me to do.I got a 3 yr birthday coming up in a couple weeks and life now has a purpose and meaning for me.
Some of society's remedies,prison,loss of driving privledges can produce resentments in the alcoholic,but what can be done.I have thought long and hard and can't come up with a solution other than Hope for sobriety for the multiple offender.

Good topic Zing
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

China doesn't mess around with crime of any kind.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I loved my times in China and Japan. But I never once stepped out of line. They don't tolerate misbehaviour.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkBull View Post
It is a difficult topic.
Due to a recent Mo. Supreme Ct. decision I was able to get my license back after multiple convictions.I truly believed I was going to prison though and this made me take a hard look at my own behavior and come to the conclusion that I was an alcoholic.I got into an inpatient program,followed up with an outpatient program and attended 3-4 AA mtgs a week.
For once in my life I did what others told me to do.I got a 3 yr birthday coming up in a couple weeks and life now has a purpose and meaning for me.
Some of society's remedies,prison,loss of driving privledges can produce resentments in the alcoholic,but what can be done.I have thought long and hard and can't come up with a solution other than Hope for sobriety for the multiple offender.

Good topic Zing

I'd been on a 2 day bender kind of came to in my van after I hit a guard rail and found myself going the wrong way on the interstate. I quickly went back through the median and got back in the right lane.

There for the Grace of God could be many of us where that man is going to spend the rest of his time !
Old 09-08-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

more on this

ATLANTA — One in 10 binge drinkers got behind the wheel the last time they drank heavily. And half of those drivers left from a bar, restaurant or nightclub after downing five or more drinks, a new study has found.

The study is being called the first to try to measure the likelihood someone will drive after binge drinking. It suggests a need for stepped-up efforts to prevent bars and restaurants from serving people after they're intoxicated, according to its authors at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The researchers focused on 14,000 "binge drinkers " — people who said that at least once month that they had five or more drinks on a single occasion. About 12 percent said they had gone driving within two hours of their last bout of heavy drinking.

Of those drivers, more than half took the wheel after drinking in a bar, restaurant or other licensed establishment. And half of the drivers who left an establishment said they had seven or more drinks; a quarter said they'd had at least 10.

Some people can handle alcohol better than others, and eating food or drinking over several hours can soften alcohol's impact. But clearly 10 drinks is a lot, said James Fell of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, a national research organization focused on alcohol policy.

"Almost everybody's going to be intoxicated after 10 drinks," said Fell, who was not involved in the study.

Binge drinking is a main factor behind the more than 11,000 deaths annually from alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, said Dr. Timothy Naimi, an epidemiologist with the CDC's alcohol program. He led the study, which was released Tuesday and will be in the October issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

Nearly every state has a law that in theory prohibits licensed establishments from selling alcohol to drunk patrons. But most states don't have enough enforcement personnel to stop in on bars and watch for over-serving of customers.
"These are among the most disregarded laws in the country," Naimi said.

Without policing, there's little incentive for bars, clubs and restaurants to discourage drinking. Tips depend on keeping patrons happy and buying, noted Jim Mosher, a Washington, D.C.-based legal researcher and consultant on alcohol issues.

The American Beverage Institute, a restaurant trade association, had no immediate comment on the study Monday. The organization's Web site promotes efforts to apprehend and penalize drunk drivers, but also notes voluntary server training and other efforts by restaurants to discourage drunk driving.

The CDC study was based on a telephone survey done in 2003 and 2004, and some things have changed since then. Drunk driving fatalities have decreased, dropping nearly 10 percent from 2007 to 2008, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. There have also been a variety of efforts to reduce drunk driving including court-mandated devices that prevent a car from starting if a driver is drunk.

But most efforts focus on punishing the driver and not preventing drunk driving by focusing on those who enable it.
"The drinking location is really important," said Naimi. "We're trusting these licensed establishments to serve responsibly, and more than half of the intoxicated people who drive have been drinking in these places."

A follow-up survey in 2008 found the situation hadn't changed, he added. Those results haven't yet been released.

One in 10 binge drinkers get behind wheel after consuming alcohol, says new study
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

another one to keep you sober after a holiday

Man pleads guilty in drunk driving crash that killed couple, unborn child

04:18 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 8, 2009

(KMOV) -- The man charged in a drunk driving accident that killed a newly married couple has accepted a plea deal.

Prosecutors say Donald Canterbery was drunk when he crashed into a vehicle that Adam Zimmer and his pregnant wife Lindsey were in.

KMOV

Adam Zimmer and Lindsey Arnold-Zimmer

In exchange for a guilty plea, Canterbery agreed to a 28-year prison sentence.

Canterbery pled guilty to two counts of Aggravated Driving with a Blood Alcohol Level of .08 or more which Results in a Death, four counts of Aggravated Driving with a Blood Alcohol Level of .08 or more causing Great Bodily Harm and one count of Reckless Homicide of an Unborn Child.

The accident happened on Route 111 near Fairmont City, Illinois.

Police estimate Canterbery was driving his Corvette at 151 miles per hour in a 55 mile per hour zone.

Just a week before the crash Canterbery received probation and a fine for a DUI crash.

KMOV

Donald Canterbery

A News 4 Investigation also found at least three prior drunk driving offenses from other states.

Canterbery is required to serve at least 23 years of his sentence
Old 09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Yeah articles like this scare me, and really make me think about drinking and driving ever again. Because it could have been easily me in that article. Adapting to life after that accident would be very tough. Felony record, probably extended loss of driving pirvelages....to name a few.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Imagine if the law was that if you get caught driving under the influence then you lose your car and it is sold with the proceeds going to alcohol rehabilitation facilities.

I bet the amount of DUI's would drop significantly ;-)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I doubt that. I know when i was drinking the fear of dying or killing someone else didn't stop me. I do think the penalties should be stiffer not this 3 chances stuff, 1 chance if no one is hurt, but then the 2nd time lock the driver up for at least 3 yrs. I've known so many people who got DUIs and as long as they had the $ they could get out of it with little consequence and I never agreed with that.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I doubt that. I know when i was drinking the fear of dying or killing someone else didn't stop me. I do think the penalties should be stiffer not this 3 chances stuff, 1 chance if no one is hurt, but then the 2nd time lock the driver up for at least 3 yrs. I've known so many people who got DUIs and as long as they had the $ they could get out of it with little consequence and I never agreed with that.
I wholeheartedly believe there are alcoholics out there who like me who have gotten two within 8 months or whatever, would be fo effed then. to lock someone up for that long would have to be in felony territory, and large mandatory fines to cover jail costs.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post

The penalty in IL. for the second DUI is now 3 years w/o your lic. Not sure, if that's just blowing a .008 or not. We still get numerous people driving on revoked all the time here. Anything short of locking the repeat offender up, not sure, what else can be done!!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here in Florida we lose our licenses for 5years for two DUI convictions within Five years I will get mine back in 2012 after loosing it in 2007. My opinion may be biased but I think they should relax the dui penalties for duis that aren't accidents, .08 is such a low limit its practically zero tolerance have 2 beers with dinner and drive home and you have dui. I think every cop, judge and priest is guilty of doing the same thing heck even the founder of MADD has a DUI now. Add to this dui check points and the laws are down right draconian if you ask me, anyone who says they should be more strict hasn't gotten one or got one in the eighties or later and they got off with a slap on the wrist. Unless you live in Manhattan if they take your license they may as well lock you up because they are taking away your ability to work and feed your family.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mergirl

I think its not too much to ask that you not be allowed to operate a 2000 pound hunk of metal when you are at all impaired. If your going to drink, don't drive, or face tough consequences seems fair to me.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have always supported giving people on a suspended license the ability to drive to and from work/school. That is it and I am for one shot only, if you get caught driving outside those terms no more work privileges you’re out of luck for however long your suspension lasts.
I would also support an extended suspension for those caught violating traffic laws while driving to and from work or school.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
The penalty in IL. for the second DUI is now 3 years w/o your lic. Not sure, if that's just blowing a .008 or not. We still get numerous people driving on revoked all the time here. Anything short of locking the repeat offender up, not sure, what else can be done!!
More enforcement. Kills me that so many folks still regard the whole issue in such a cavalier manner, as if driving were a God-given right and not a privilege.

No one would dream of excusing the behavior of someone that gets drunk and kills his wife, but let that same person get drunk and get behind the wheel of a two ton lethal weapon and it's somehow 'okay'.

You have to admit, we have come a long way from the bad old days when you could go out and kill someone drinking and driving and receive a slap on the wrist.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Originally Posted by QuantumMeltdown View Post
Here in Florida we lose our licenses for 5years for two DUI convictions within Five years I will get mine back in 2012 after loosing it in 2007. My opinion may be biased but I think they should relax the dui penalties for duis that aren't accidents, .08 is such a low limit its practically zero tolerance have 2 beers with dinner and drive home and you have dui. I think every cop, judge and priest is guilty of doing the same thing heck even the founder of MADD has a DUI now. Add to this dui check points and the laws are down right draconian if you ask me, anyone who says they should be more strict hasn't gotten one or got one in the eighties or later and they got off with a slap on the wrist. Unless you live in Manhattan if they take your license they may as well lock you up because they are taking away your ability to work and feed your family.
Wow loss of driving privileges for 5 years if you get two within 5 years, I got two within like 9 months! I would be so screwed if I lived down there.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes and my second conviction is 4 years 11 months after the first one talk about having **** luck, granted I did get one dismissed from court before that so thats really three arrests but two convictions. Yeah Florida's a police state.

To the guy saying we wouldn't accept a guying being drunk then killing his wife but we would accept a guy drunk piloting a 2,000 lb hunk of steel, thats a **** poor analogy, having two beers with dinner and driving home going through a check point and getting a dui does not equate to killing your wife.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I was drinking,I truly thought I was sober enough to drive but I was drunk all the time.My perception of reality was so screwed up that the last time I was pulled over for DUI I blew a .24.In my state of mind,I was convinced I was OK.
I was only fooling myself but did not realize it-classic denial,rationalization.

Cunning,baffling,powerful