Notices

Hungry ghost

Old 09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No Codie No More.

I thought this song could help...

Johnny Cash - The Beast in Me

The beast in me Is caged by frail and fragile bars Restless by day And by night rants and rages at the stars God help the beast in me

The beast in me Has had to learn to live with pain And how to shelter from the rain And in the twinkling of an eye Might have to be restrained God help the beast in me

Sometimes it tries to kid me That it's just a teddy bear And even somehow manage to vanish in the air And that is when I must beware Of the beast in me that everybody knows They've seen him out dressed in my clothes Patently unclear It it's New York or New Year God help the beast in me

The beast in me
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

stone,

this is so human and so perfect. wanting is just another craving......wanting this or that thing is our path and our practice.

its all energy.

it rises, takes center stage for a few minutes, then passes if we allow it to. just feel that.

just breathe.
in.
out.

again
in.
out.

wanting moment passes.

new moment arrives.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
stone,

this is so human and so perfect. wanting is just another craving......wanting this or that thing is our path and our practice.

its all energy.

it rises, takes center stage for a few minutes, then passes if we allow it to. just feel that.

just breathe.
in.
out.

again
in.
out.

wanting moment passes.

new moment arrives.

Exactly, thanks Miss C.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
God's Kid

When I got sober I put all kinds of stuff on credit. A car, furniture, clothes. You name it I got it. Over here (in NZ) we call 'getting credit' 'Hire Purchase' as in HP. I remember a guy at an AA mtg saying to me the only HP he needed in his life was his HP. It made me laugh but it was true at the time. I was in debt up to my eye balls and had barely been sober a year.

But personally I don't think us alkies are very different to the rest of the world when it comes to filling the void with other stuff. I.e. plasma TV, new boyfriend or chocolate cake. So I wouldn't give yourself to harder time.

And a few years ago, a friend of mine in the program had a book he wrote published. It took him years to write and he got quite a lot of publicity in the media but after it all died down he found himself going into bookshops and keeping a running score (in his head) on how many copies were selling because of course the should of been selling by the hundreds!!! And he could not be happy/content until it happened. Lol. He told me this story though to illustrate that there will always be 'another thing', that our minds say we need to make us happier, feel better, look better, make doing something easier etc...

The good thing about recovery is we learn to be happy with what we have rather than getting what we want because when we're happy with what we've got and we get what we want, it is 10x sweeter.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks liz, you are right I think, it is the human condition, not just a recovering alkie/addict thing. Though it does make sense for it to hit us hard in early recovery. There will always be "another thing", I am at least aware of that.

I believe that void can only be filled by a spiritual life/practice, and I was thinking to myself, "well I am trying to lead a more spiritual life and it isn't working", lol. If I am wanting so badly, it isn't working.
But Miss C got it exactly right, this is where the practice is.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Michael Imperioli (you may know him as Christopher Moltisanti from HBO’s The Sopranos, or from his role on ABC’s Life on Mars) is making his directorial debut with upcoming film “The Hungry Ghosts,” which he also wrote. The film is scheduled to premiere in New York on Sept. 15.at downtown Manhattan’s Rubin Museum. Proceeds from ticket sales to the screening will help support Tibetan refugees as well as Dalai Lama-led elderly Buddhist monks.

Imperioli is quoted in the report as stating of the connection of Buddhism to the film, “Buddhism is an antidote to the characters in the film… They’re lost and searching for something, restless and desirous of something spiritual — and physical… It’s a common affliction, a universal one.”

I saw this in Shambala Sun on Facebook.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I am a Nikon guy so I would go for the Nikon entry level camera, I have the D40 which was the entry level camera at the time I bought it.
It has been superseded by the D60 and the new D3000, whatever the Canon entry level equivalent is would be just as good. You could also consider Sony but if your hobby takes off you will be glad you got the Nikon or Canon, I think.
I ordered the D3000 today, so looking forward to taking up a new hobby to take my mind off other things
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by william1872 View Post
I ordered the D3000 today, so looking forward to taking up a new hobby to take my mind off other things
Nice!

I would suggest checking out Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing , you can check out others pics and maybe join a group and ask questions.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Nice!

I would suggest checking out Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing , you can check out others pics and maybe join a group and ask questions.
Thanks Stone I will do