Notices

job change and moving

Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

job change and moving

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some advice or feedback.

I am a recovering alcholic (3 months sobriety) and an ACOA (both parents were alcoholics). I have been fired from several jobs over my 25+ years in the workforce, have changed jobs and careers more times than I would like to admit, and during my 20's, I moved from apartment to apartment, city to city never putting down any real roots. I did finally manage to finish an undergrad degree and later in my late 30's a graduate degree. My convolued resume has caused justified concern with potential employers during job interviews. I would like to know if anyone else out there has been as confused and erratic as I have been in choosing and staying in one major in one univeristy, and choosing a career path and sticking with it, and living in one place for a reasonable amount of time before moving somewhere else. If so, do you attribute this crazy behavior to being an ACOA or an alcoholic?

P
Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR Pat. I can't honestly say I've had that much experience with changing career paths many times, and I can't tell you whether it has to do with being an alcoholic or an adult child, you'll have to decide that.

But what I can say from experience is that I couldn't run away from my disease, no matter how hard I tried. Mo matter where I went, there I was, and I was still drinking and thinking. Then came the day when I had to stop running away, and face myself and this disease. I guess that's when my recovery began.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I don't have any advice. Others will be around shortly that can help....just wanted to welcome you to SR.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time
Welcome ....

I have no experience about being a ACOA
but I too drank for years before I stopped at 52.

Certanly I made decisions that turned out badly
but I also made others that were beneficial.

The wisest one? Committing to God and AA

Glad you are here with us
Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to SR.

My own ES&H...

I quit trying to figure out what 'victimized' me and I decided that I am what I am now, and I should concentrate on being the person I want to be.

For a long time though I focused on 'why'... instead of focusing on 'why not'...?

(And yeah, it sure was good to finally graduate with full degree so I wouldn't have to list all of those schools I went to, lol.)
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

I have done the same thing, i have moved from place to place around Europe and from job to job, changed career 3 times in the last 10 years. And with each change it would be a fresh start which would last a matter of a weeks. I think they call them geographicals in AA. Oh and of course new partners as it was that i had not met the right girl and when i did everything would be ok lol It's crazy looking back but at the time all the things i did were the very right thing to do. So i have stuck my arse in one place until the end of the year, going to AA, working the steps and then we will see what we will see, but sober this time:-)
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome
Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Pat,
Welcome to SR and congrats on making a new beginning. 3 months impresses me more than 30 years. You are probably going against every thought you have right now ( up is down, left is right etc...) I can relate to your story as I have been there myself in several respects:

Since getting sober I have moved around alot ( joined the military at 5 years sober largely due to my own erratic work history). It has been hard to put down roots anywhere. In AA meetings I often feel like a visitor. I find service work and helping new people reduces that feeling.

I have changed my Major 4 times in school. I am now working on my MBA and have no intention to change Majors. I do not attribute anything other than my drinking to my alcoholism. I am also ACOA and an addict but stick with AA for my recovery. I found that when I used the steps as outlined in the Big Book for my alcoholism, it made my other ism's less of an influence in my life. I have friends in recovery who belong to several different 12 step fellowships and they seem quite scattered still. It is one area of my life where I think I got it right. I stayed consistent in this area. As far as the moving around and career jumping, this is not an alcoholic trend as it is ( at least in the USA) and adult trend. Most people in the states do not have a permanent career or residence until the age of 36 ( average) people bounce around finding their place. Congrats on finishing school, I couldn't start until I got sober. AA showed me that my brain had some uses.