Notices

Slipped, back on track

Old 08-01-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped, back on track

Just figured I'd introduce myself. Not sure how the forum feels about this, but neyways, it's alright.

then slipped at a concert, with some
encouraging frenz.

However, I DO want to stop.

Silly me to think I could handle it again after so much time with a clear mind. That's the insane thinking we all face in recovery. It was like pringles, after the first one. Nasty.

Any way - Glad to find this forum, thanks for having me. God bless.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kurt

I think most of us had false starts - this place has been great for me avoiding that.
Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

take it one day at a time east lansing!
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Faerie

Hi Kurt,

I'm so glad you found us!

You will get so much love and support here, never judgment.

Read lots, post lots,

Your new friend,

Faerie xx
Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the SR community.

i hope that you take daily action
with your desire to live a sober life.

Have you considered attending
90 A.A. meetings for 90 days?
Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all responses. I had been attending meetings regularly - about 5 a week. Didn't do exactly 90 in 90, but was close to it. My work shift changed in the last 3 weeks, and I began to miss the regular meetings I went to. I still talked to my sponsor, but stopped attending...and I saw the repercussions.

Haven't told my sponsor yet, or been to a meeting since the slip. Pretty ashamed. But over the self-pity 3 days later, and ready to work the program again.

I'm still in Chicago, will be in EL on the 25th...pretty nervous, but I know the library won't be my first priority when I move. I know what I need to do, and I appreciate all the support.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kurt, glad you found the boards.
Sorry to hear about your relapse; it sounds like you were doing well before the concert.

Most probably your friends are well meaning; I had a couple that thought that they could "re-train" me into normal drinking! I think they just felt sorry and thought not drinking meant that I couldn't join in and that I'd be miserable. I just kept telling my friends to trust me. I found that I could be friends with most of them and the ones that I couldn't relate to anymore were only drinking buddies and not real mates.

Hang out with some folks in sobriety if you can. Even if it is only one or two people. I found that it gave me confidence to know that there were potential friends away from the drining pressure who were enjoying life without alchohol and would understand my desire to do the same. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Kurt.

You made the conscious, willing, and knowing CHOICE to drink at a concert (no slip).

Be completely honest and admit that there was no 'accident'... just a choice.

Perhaps try and determine WHY you made that choice?

And... what are you going to do differently this time around?

Keep coming back, you CAN do it.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You're correct - it was no accident, or slip...

I made the choice to drink again. I had been entertaining the idea on and off after my 90 day chip.

I thought maybe this time I could drink responsibly...that my brain could relearn. In anticipation of the concert, I stopped living the program, and I stopped thanking God.

This time I have to surrender those thoughts completely, or get them outta my head immediately before I end up making a plan. That, and, I will need to be more cautious about the places I go to and who I'm with. I have learned my lesson from this, and although I have technically lost over 100 days of sobriety, I at least now know this time that I cannot control my drinking, even after 3 months of abstinence.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our rrecovery community....

Many of us had false starts on our way to solid sobriety
Good to know you are beginning again
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

[You're correct - it was no accident, or slip...

I made the choice to drink again. I had been entertaining the idea on and off after my 90 day chip.

I thought maybe this time I could drink responsibly...that my brain could relearn. In anticipation of the concert, I stopped living the program, and I stopped thanking God.

This time I have to surrender those thoughts completely, or get them outta my head immediately before I end up making a plan. That, and, I will need to be more cautious about the places I go to and who I'm with. I have learned my lesson from this, and although I have technically lost over 100 days of sobriety, I at least now know this time that I cannot control my drinking, even after 3 months of abstinence.[/QUOTE]

Looking at it that way, I really think you will find success.

Keep coming back.