Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Withdrawal symptoms/DT's possible after 1 night of binging?

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I have not been doing well with the drinking. I am a 21 year old male with a 4 year history of heavy drinking. During the last six months, I have binged about once a week/a few times a month. After those brief binges, I have felt really anxious, kind of sweaty, and all around horrible. I am already an anxious person who suffers from panic disorder.

I had a binge last night which consisted of a 12 pack of beer and a shot of vodka. I had a complete blackout. Now it has been almost 18 hours later and I have bad anxiety. I have not been a daily drinker in about 7 or 8 months. My question is: is it possible to have the D.T.'s after a single binge? I know this may just be my anxiety, but I feel horrible. I am going to AA tomorrow and starting a new life for myself.

Does anyone else have any words of encouragement or answers to my question? I just want to know if serious alcohol withdrawal symptoms can present themselves after a one night binge. Thanks for all the help you guys.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not really feeling any signs of confusion, heavy sweating, hallucinations, just bad anxiety.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I doubt you will have DTs but you are definitely in withdrawals. You should see a Dr in any case, alcohol withdrawal can be fatal.

So are you ready to stop drinking or just trying to get more info on DTs/withdrawals?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am completely ready to stop drinking. I have already gone through detox 7 months ago, so I guess I just don't want to step into the E.R. again and explain my situation for the 5th time in the last 2 years. I guess I am going through wihtdrawal, but I thought only D.T.'s were fatal, because during the D.T.'s one can have a seizure. I guess I am ready to quit drinking but I am on the fence about going to see Dr..
Old 07-25-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

See your doctor. Detox depends on many factors,primarily your own constitutional framework. Reaction can't be predicted on how much you drink, when you drink,or what you drink. Seek medical advice then work a program so this won't keep reoccurring. I have anxiety disorder, I thought drinking made it better. From a nuerobiological standpoint it only masks it (like covering a raw wound with gauze) it doesn't treat it and without treatment the wound will fester and worsen.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Update: I just talked to an advice nurse at my local hospital, she said to watch and wait to see if any symptoms progress or any new ones present themselves. She says it is doubtful that I have any serious risk of going into D.T.'s, but I should get my butt into AA right away.

She's right. I am going to look for meetings.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is a great link on what to expect at AA meetings:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dgillz. Thanks. Just to let you know I used to go to AA almost every day for nearly a year. I just fell out of the habit of going, and you know...one thing leads to another..and your off the wagon. Time to start getting back into the habit.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yea, its funny how we easily we can fallout of the habit of working our program and how easily we can fall back into our "habit" of drinking or using. Go figure?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That shot of vodka probably compounded the bad feelings. Anytime I've mixed alcohol like that, I'd be in for it the next day. That's a good chunk of beer too.

I got bad anxiety the day after drinking too - one of my primary motivations to stop actually.

FWIW - I one time had to take an alcohol awareness class per court orders, and the instructor said that DT's could be triggered by a BAC of 0.3 or higher. I had never heard that before and still haven't ever heard that since, so I'm not sure if it's true. I know you will feel like crap if you get up into those BAC levels though, that's for sure.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Matt,

I agree with you about the anxiety. When I over-drink, I will have bad anxiety for up to 3 days afterwords.

I think one of the worst aspects of having anxiety after a hangover is the thought of "what if this gets worse", "what if this", "what if that". It makes the hangover almost unbearable
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are planning to get back on a healthy lifestyle.

This can be your final withdrawal
Keep in focus and keep posting...we do understand.
Welcome back....