Notices

Illness in early sobriety

Old 07-15-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Illness in early sobriety

I've been sober somewhere between 90 and 100 days now.

For the last 40ish days I've had one cold or flu after another. I've been to the doctor a few times and had blood tests (all "normal"), so all they recommend is getting rest and fluids. I'm going back again today as I'm home sick from work for the 3rd time in the last 4 weeks (which incidentally is so much more than when I was drinking )

Did anyone else find that they got sick a lot in the first few months? I'm not sure if it's a particularly bad flu season (swine flu is knocking people down all over the place here) or if my immune system is lower during the first months of sobriety.

I'm not looking for medical opinion as I'll get that from the doctor today, but I am looking for people's experience. Did you get sick a lot in the first months of sobriety?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did yes.

I think it's obvious that my immune system was pretty battered - I drank all day from waking to sleep and rarely ate anything - and when I did it was fried, greasy takeaway.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Things got better

I'm glad you're seeing yr Doctor about this tho - best to be sure.

D
Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I got pneumonia 9 times my first year sober.

When I half jokingly half serious commented to my Dr that my immune system must be pretty low, he responded to me:

"What Immune System?"

Slowly, as I ate healthier, got more sleep, started treating my body better, I got healthier. My second year I only had pneumonia twice.

So yes, many of us have lots of 'ills' those first months.

I like Dee really did a number on mine.

Glad you are seeing your Doctor.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you - it sounds like this could be normal then.

I was just a bit worried as I haven't had a cold or flu for so long. The last time I got sick was bronchitis in 2005/06 which got me to quit smoking.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is strange isn't it? I had a similar experience as well, I am sure people thought I was hungover or something with all of my extra sick days.

We have put our bodies through a lot with our drinking & I believe it is our body detoxifying itself after years of abuse.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it happened to me too and I have heard others saying the same. I don't know why all the illnesses wait for us to get sober. If it was just a low immune system then we had that when we were drinking too, didn't we? Perhaps the alcohol in the blood killed virus's lol.
I think mine were the symptoms of a cold without really being a cold caused by a virus, just my body freaking out?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Yes, it happened to me too and I have heard others saying the same. I don't know why all the illnesses wait for us to get sober. If it was just a low immune system then we had that when we were drinking too, didn't we? Perhaps the alcohol in the blood killed virus's lol.
Probably true... the viruses were too drunk to attack or too hungover. Now that there is no alcohol in our system its party time for them & they go on the attack!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
I think mine were the symptoms of a cold without really being a cold caused by a virus, just my body freaking out?
This is what I wondered. Surely when I was drunk every day my immune system would have been struggling more

When I was much younger I used to drink a bottle of whiskey at the first signs of a cold to try and kill it. Maybe it works...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I was just as sick when I was drinking...I either didn't care - or I blamed the alcohol.

D
Old 01-11-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's been a long time since I posted in here, but I found out I had a clarithromycin resistant pertussis infection. It also didn't cause typical symptoms so took months to get diagnosed.

I was so sick for about 5 months. I've almost recovered now. It actually wasn't my imagination which is comforting.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you found the problem and recovered your health.