Notices

Daily Consumption averages

Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daily Consumption averages

Of course, most of us never readily admitted to our doctor how much we drank, and were often prescribed medicine for our symptoms, like anti's and tranquilizers. I'm guilty, as I had quit drinking completely before "hell" set in. Looking back through this past winter and early spring before quitting, I was probably consuming 6-10 ounces of regular-strength bourbon, daily(mixed with Coke). I almost "guzzled it" when I drank. I called an AA(old-timer) friend. I was telling him how much my daily averages were, and asking him what he thought. He wouldn't comment, but did say that "we see people who only drank on weekends, and they are often a mess". Anyway, I guess we cannot fool ourselves by consumption amounts, but I was curious. Wonder what my doctor would have told me if I had been honest? I'll find out Monday, as I plan to tell him.......
Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
One was too many, a thousand wasn't enough.

Yeah, I'd tell the doctor I drank a couple every day when he was diagnosing my liver pains. I wonder if he really believed that BS? Probably knew better.

I didn't have a problem being completely honest about it when I was undergoing evaluations at a mental hospital. Interesting how that change of atmosphere brought out the honesty in me
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

When I was in rehab I was told moderate drinkers consume 2 -3 drinks per day.

Binge drinkers consume more than four drinks per session.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

My averages at the very bottom was twenty bottles of wine a week. And once a fifth of tequila one evening. Could have gotten worse and was so I checked myself in. Averages to me are just scientist trying to make sense of a irrational spiritual disease.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Enough to get me to a recovery message board.

(a fifth of vodka every few days).
Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
When I was in rehab I was told moderate drinkers consume 2 -3 drinks per day.

Binge drinkers consume more than four drinks per session.
For women, it's said that moderate=no more than 1 drink/day, binge=more than 3 in a sitting. According to the National Institute On Alcohol Abuse And Alcoholism (U.S.), the binge numbers are based on a BAC ≥0.08%
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

nm
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

TRUE STORY:

Back in the day, I was as honest with a physician as possible (not always, but this one time I was) and told him 18-20 drinks per day, every day.

He then asked me if I was in any legal trouble (DWIs, etc.), having any trouble at work/keeping a job, things at home okay, etc.

I told him (again, honestly) that I had never had any trouble keeping a job, with the law, at home, or anything.

He then said that some people can handle that much alcohol and so long as I'm not getting arrested for drunk driving or losing my job due to drinking that it was probably okay for me to drink that much every day. Just be careful with the liver.

What I learned from that experience is that, aside from the physical problems associated with heavy drinking/alcoholism, some doctor's don't know jack about addiction.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

In one day, at my worst, I could guzzle down just under a case of beer and put a good dent in a 5th of liquor.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

before my decision to seek help (today ), my worst consisted 1 1/2 pints of vodka daily and often times i would finish with two 24 oz cans of beer. i would get off work, buy the first pint, guzzle half of it, put the rest in a gatorade bottle and go to the driving range. after that i would stop at a different liquor store, buy a half pint of vodka and the two beers. i did this for quite a while, so i never understood how people could say i was inconsistent.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
mergirl

I told my dr I was a daily drinker, I think I even admitted to a 6 pack a night. I THINK he may have told me "that's too much, cut back", but I never listen to it.

I went in for my check up a few months ago. I had lost 50 pounds since seeing him, and he was pleased. I had joined a gym and was eating right, he was happy. I told him I had quit drinking, and I think he giggled he was so excited hahahaha. If he had been in possession of a trophy or a cookie, he totally would have given it to me
Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Focus

I heard too that moderate drinking was 2-3/day for MEN... 1-2 for WOMEN. They said anything more than 3 for men or 2 for women was considered heavy.

To a degree, I wasn't even honest in here about how much I drank. I said 3 glasses of wine. I never mentioned that these were 3 8oz glasses of wine pretty much every night.

I guess that is more like 5 glasses of wine/night and on some nights 6. I realized it looked like I was going through less if I mixed a 1/3 red wine and 2/3 white wine. 2 years ago, I thought nothing of making it through physiology class by putting 2 shots of vodka in my water bottle full of diet lemonade. I see some similar stories on the board. It is amazing what people do.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would consume at least 1.75 ltrs of vodka a day. I never told my doctor how much nor did he ask. Now he loves to run liver enzyme tests on me because he doesn't believe that I still have a liver. The tests come back normal. And my doctor is the first to admit that MD's don't know jack about alcoholism. But he's also keenly interested, so I'll usually take his last appt of the day and spent an hour or so educating him. And he's a fast learner, now confronting folks he's knows by test results are alcoholic, aware that whatever they say about their drinking habits is a probably a lie. He gives them a choice - do something about the drinking or find a new doctor.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank about a 12 pack of beer a day for about 30 years. And beer did lead to harder drugs(I won't go into that). I only quit 2 or 3 times never over 6 months.
My doctor had to prescribe me antabuse about 20 years ago (court ordered). I still have the same doctor, and I know he doesn't remember. I always fill out a form that asks how much you drink. I always lied and put about a 6 pack a day. I think most of us lie, and thats probably why they know so little about alcoholism. Because they seldom treat anyone that freely admits how much they drink until they have real problems,
Fred
Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was a three glasses of wine a day person too. I never told my doctor it was a tupperware tumbler!

I know now that I can smell alcohol on pretty much anyone who's had a drink that same day. Sometimes, I can smell it the next day! To me, alcohol has a distinctive odor. Could be I just have a very sensitive sniffer!

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

About 12-14 shots of 80 proof rum per day during the week, beers all weekend (probably anywhere from 78-84 beers Friday - Sunday). I'd come home sometimes on Monday after work (meaning I hadn't had a drink since late Sunday night) and check my BAC and it'd be in the .15-.2 range.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

At the end I was averaging enough to get drunk as soon as I woke drank till I passed out and repeat.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Focus

Originally Posted by streetpizza View Post
About 12-14 shots of 80 proof rum per day during the week, beers all weekend (probably anywhere from 78-84 beers Friday - Sunday). I'd come home sometimes on Monday after work (meaning I hadn't had a drink since late Sunday night) and check my BAC and it'd be in the .15-.2 range.
LOL... Somehow, I don't believe you.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lauraandersen4 View Post
LOL... Somehow, I don't believe you.
Not a joke. The 12-14 shots during the week is a number that I calculated out to be below the legal limit driving to work the next morning.

13 hours to drive the next morning * .015 burned off per hour... .195 burned off. .195 + .08 (legal limit) = .275... theoretically I could have 13-14 and still be good driving the next day.

Even with that, lets say I get to work with a .08... its still going to take 5-6 hours for even that to wear off... meaning the day after one of my lighter days I'd be sobering up around lunch.

Well, when you "tie one on" as my friends like to put it (start drinking again before your BAC has returned to .00) several times in one weekend, you can put up a higher BAC than you might think...
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I relate to you. I assume you had a breathalizer?

tiburon