Notices

Relapse Prevention

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
For me personally something like "urge surfing" is much more about just allowing yourself to feel the feeling, accept it, notice it, and allow it to pass through your body without take the action. In fact, what you don't want to do is engage in any sort of linguistic thought or entertain any sort of action related to the feeling.
This takes lots of practice, too. Unsurprisingly, it's going to be very difficult at first. If we practice mindfulness techniques when we aren't in the midst of an urge, we will be much better equipped to use it when the urge hits. It's a little like using calming techniques to stave off a panic attack; that's damn near impossible to accomplish unless you've practiced it beforehand.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Awesome thread!! Clay, thank you for starting this one; and thank you all for your invaluable input. I have much more understanding of the urges now. I am likening it to childbirth. Breathe through the pain (urge); don't panic, understand that it will pass and what's on the other side (i.e. new life; sobriety) makes every "pain" more manageable.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Rational thinking isn't the problem...if an addicted person finds reasons to drink, he/she is not thinking rationally. It's a way to make excuses. I did it all the time and always justified it. I self-medicated...but I didn't care that there are healthy ways to treat mental illness.

Being accountable helps me to stay sober:

1. If I drink my meds will not be effective.

2. If I drink along with my meds I may be putting my health at immediate risk.

3. If I drink I have to fess up to my therapist...and she’d be pissed.

4. If I drink I will not be able to do my photography.

5. If I drink I will not be able to be responsible at work in a supervisory position.

This is the short list…I can think of a lot more to add.

The only thing I’m missing from drinking is the escape and feel good moments…but that was just a way to avoid my illness and my problems…thereby making everything worse.

Now I actually have a shot at a better life. I know there are few guarantees, but if I fall down the drinking hole I know for certain my life will go to absolute sh!t right before death.

In a nut shell, my relapse prevention is therapy and SR...and reflection.