Notices

Doctor visit

Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doctor visit

Since I've been 3 weeks sober now I'm looking to see my doctor or any doctor. I would like to know the extent to which I've damaged my body and how I can recover safely or recover somewhat in general.

The only reason I haven't gone to my doctor, well first I haven't ever been too serious about recovery and now am, but I really want to know what happens when you admit to your health practitioner that you are a severe alcoholic.

I mean it will be in my health record for as long as I live which is fine, but I know nothing really about health insurance. I mean I work for a living I have insurance and all that stuff. Does it really matter as long as I have insurance?

Will having this in my medical record affect other things like later in life? Like people who get denied for being smokers and all that stuff? Like I said I don't understand all that stuff. If I'm gonna be screwed later on for an admission like this then it wouldn't make sense.

I'm really asking this because I'm an American, I mean I know a little bit about how the insurance companies love to **** on their customers. You can read my (red flag) post and get a clue. They don't like to pay anything if they don't have to. Well I'd love to hear some comments. Thanks
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
I don't know if the word alcoholic is in my medical records
or not. However I have been open to all my doctors
for over 20 years about my recovery since I quit drinking.
I also always mentioned it to prospective employers..

I have gotten job clearances and additional insurance coverages
since then. As far as I know...no discrimation happened.

My experiences may not be true for everyone.
I don't think there is a definite yes or no answer possible.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Every health insurance company has different definitions about pre-existing conditions. Alcohol dependence is often found in those clauses, but not always. You MAY have trouble obtaining private health insurance in the future that counts alcohol dependence (which is the offical diagnostic label) as a pre existing condition. As long as you maintain health insurance coverage you'll be ok.. also, for group insurance (what is often offered by your job), the pre-existing condition clause doesn't exist, unless you lapse your coverage for over 63 days.

That was such a non-answer.. sorry.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Every health insurance company has different definitions about pre-existing conditions. Alcohol dependence is often found in those clauses, but not always. You MAY have trouble obtaining private health insurance in the future that counts alcohol dependence (which is the offical diagnostic label) as a pre existing condition. As long as you maintain health insurance coverage you'll be ok.. also, for group insurance (what is often offered by your job), the pre-existing condition clause doesn't exist, unless you lapse your coverage for over 63 days.

That was such a non-answer.. sorry.
This is partly right - about the lapse in coverage of no more than 63 days. What it really means is that you get credit for prior continuous coverage towards any new plan (say you change jobs) that has a preex clause. If your current coverage has been in force for more than 12 months, you don't let more than 63 lapse between coverages, AND you apply for new coverage with a new employer on-time (meaning you're not a late entrant), then there is no worries whatsoever. HIPAA was adopted expressly for the purpose of protecting folks who keep insurance going and you would be protected in that situation.

So long as you haven't received any medical treatment for alcoholism, and you haven't been formally diagnosed by a medical professional - you're good to go.

Private insurance can turn you down for pretty much any reason, and alcoholism is going to be one of those reasons. BUT - you have to be formally diagnosed by a health professional for this to happen.

If you have simply admitted to yourself that you are an alcoholic and started going to AA - then you can honestly answer any health history questionaire as having no history of alcoholism because you haven't been medically diagnosed.

What I would do, if I were in your shoes, is if drinking comes up at during your physical or whatever - won't hurt anything to say that you have drank heavily in the past and might be concerned about that.

The short answer to your question is : yes. Once one is formally diagnosed with any chronic disease, including alcholism, it can come back you haunt you as a preexisting condition depending on the circustances.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info guys. The last time I went to a physical was 3 years ago before I started school again and my doctor was talking about my high blood pressure, cholesterol, elevated bilirubin and water in my legs. At no point did he mention any suspicion about alcoholism. And I never said anything.

I mean I know what I am, an alcoholic. I would love to to admit that to a doctor so he knows exactly what he's dealing with. But right, there is that stigma with awful insurance companies and whoever else might need to know my medical history.

But I guess it's at the doctors discretion if I said I might be concerned about drinking heavily in the past to classify it as a pre-existing condition (which it really is) or not (which would keep it from my record).

I don't know, it's just really sad that I have to ponder this stuff rather than go to a doctor and not worry about repercussions later on. I had an aunt that went to rehab for a month last year and apparently in Illinois that affecting her divorce proceedings or something just the fact she went. I think it would make a lot more poeple willing to seek help if you didn't even have to ask these questions. I don't think I'm the only one. Thank you guys though
Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't think that mentioning it to you doctor will label a diagnosis on your back. Honestly, I had a doctor one time ask me before he wrote down a diagnosis, because he knew how it could effect my future insurance life. Please don't let it deter you from getting the help you need. Usually a diagnosis is only needed if you are prescribed treatment for it.. if you just go in to talk about it, or have medical tests done because you're worried about your OVERALL health.. I wouldn't worry a bit. It's if you were to be Rx rehab or detox, then your insurance would demand a diagnosis..

just get the help you need...
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the same reservations but finally came to the realization that my health was more important. When I got sober I switched doctors because I had not been honest with my doctor about how much I drank.

I got a new doctor once I was sober and was completely honest with him. He actually seemed excited to have a sober alcoholic patient. Since I was honest with him I got many tests and medication appropriate for an alcoholic in early recovery.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To find out what has been disclosed, you can request your health details on record with the Medical Information Bureau, which operates a bit like credit rating agencies, only for health. I think they may only have records if you have applied for individual coverage, however. (Is anyone aware of a similar report that would include job-based insurance and medical records?)

Also, as stated above I *think* under HIPAA you won't have to worry about being denied coverage if you've got job-based coverage, as an employer has to offer insurance to all employees, regardless of health. Similarly, the insurer has allow policy renewals every year no matter how many claims are made. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here!)

From what I've read, private health care can be trickier if you have a diagnosis in the past. Same with life insurance. If you've been diagnosed or received treatment, it can take 10-20 years of maintained sobriety to get normal rates on a policy. I've also heard that if a life insurance policy is in place for at least two years, it must be paid (i.e., cannot be contested) upon death whether or not a pre-existing condition was disclosed.

In all, I think it's a careful line that most of us need to walk, but as mentioned earlier by no means let it prevent you from getting the treatment you need, as that's why the doctors are there in the first place. I think if you have job-based coverage and don't have a lapse as mentioned above, the risks aren't that great. But it *is* good to know how the decisions you make can affect the future, both good and bad.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is a good topic and undoubtedly one we have all wondered about......Thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's such a thing as doctor/patient privilege. Your doctor cannot release any medical information to anyone without your written permission. As far as your insurance coverage goes, unless you're admitted for detox or rehabilitation then the insurance company will not know you're being treated for alcoholism. All they'll get is information on the drugs prescribed, and most of them can be used for a variety of conditions. You may want to check your coverage to see if detox/rehab is covered. Most companies do provide some type of coverage here.

The most important thing is to tell your doctor that you're an alcoholic. He needs to perform liver function tests etc. And he also needs this information when prescribing other meds for you. It's imperative that you tell him.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by linguoman View Post
Since I've been 3 weeks sober now I'm looking to see my doctor or any doctor. I would like to know the extent to which I've damaged my body and how I can recover safely or recover somewhat in general.

The only reason I haven't gone to my doctor, well first I haven't ever been too serious about recovery and now am, but I really want to know what happens when you admit to your health practitioner that you are a severe alcoholic.

I mean it will be in my health record for as long as I live which is fine, but I know nothing really about health insurance. I mean I work for a living I have insurance and all that stuff. Does it really matter as long as I have insurance?

Will having this in my medical record affect other things like later in life? Like people who get denied for being smokers and all that stuff? Like I said I don't understand all that stuff. If I'm gonna be screwed later on for an admission like this then it wouldn't make sense.

I'm really asking this because I'm an American, I mean I know a little bit about how the insurance companies love to **** on their customers. You can read my (red flag) post and get a clue. They don't like to pay anything if they don't have to. Well I'd love to hear some comments. Thanks
Yeah, your concerns are completely valid. I would get the physical with blood tests. But unless you have some compelling reason to tell your Dr. of your drinking history (i.e. current concerns over pancreatitis, etc), I wouldn't say anything. Insurance companies WILL hold this against you. I know. I've requested applications and have been asked the question...has anyone recommended you cut down on your drinking in the last 15 YEARS?! OMG!! Of course, I went through rehab in 2003 and detox in 2007, so I am screwed. I'll just have to deal with things. However, I would protect yourself if you can and if there isn't a good reason for disclosing too much. They will run a liver test and the like. Wait for the results. JMHO as I know the insurance biz.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
There's such a thing as doctor/patient privilege. Your doctor cannot release any medical information to anyone without your written permission. As far as your insurance coverage goes, unless you're admitted for detox or rehabilitation then the insurance company will not know you're being treated for alcoholism. All they'll get is information on the drugs prescribed, and most of them can be used for a variety of conditions. You may want to check your coverage to see if detox/rehab is covered. Most companies do provide some type of coverage here.

The most important thing is to tell your doctor that you're an alcoholic. He needs to perform liver function tests etc. And he also needs this information when prescribing other meds for you. It's imperative that you tell him.
Drs. have to submit claims with a Dx code. If it's a certain code, that means alcoholism. That is on the record. Furthermore, failure to disclose the truth in the future could render any unrelated claims not covered. I don't EVER trust insurance companies. There is a huge database out there called Medical Information Bureau. They have all of this information out there. For example, I'm prescribed a mood stabilizer. They know what this is for - bipolar - big red flag that will really be an issue to any insurance company.

To the OP, I'd suggest you know exactly what diagnosis claims are being billed under, as that is part of what is discoverable in the future. I've asked my Dr. NOT to include the Dx of alcohol dependence on claims. And as to drugs prescribed, if you're ever given an alcohol dependence drug, that goes in the database too. BTW, here is a link on the MIB...

http://patients.about.com/od/yourmed...ords/a/mib.htm

Last edited by Katie09; 07-01-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree it best not to disclose this and risk the insurance not paying. Ya in a perfect world claims will be paid drs will help and listen but it's a big chance.

I remember having an injury which I wrote down "work home" at the dr. The injury was at home where I was working outside. The paper pusher at the office said oh well have to file that on workers comp. I said no it's not that let me change that. She said no it's on paper we have to file it. So a year of nonsense back and forth with my insurance trying to get them to pay my bills over a stupid typo.