Notices

Scared

Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

Ok, had 10 beers last night, 2 this morning. My hands are now shaking. Anyone know what's causing this?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I want to suggest alcohol withdrawal, but sometimes the shakes are a combo of low blood sugar and dehydration. You elevate your blood sugar when you drink beer. Your level then crashes after the binge is over. Try some ginger ale or sprite. Then drink some water, eat a hearty breakfast and take a nap.

Sorry you are going through this... I have suffered the same way and just want to stop doing this to myself and my family.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Majamama View Post
... I have suffered the same way and just want to stop doing this to myself and my family.
Yeah, me too.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

If the shakiness continues or becomes more severe--you may want to go see a DR today. Alcohol withdrawal can be deadly.....just keep that in mind.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Our nerves really take a beating when we drink, so when they are overloaded we shake, rattle and roll. I've sat at the bar many mornings trying to not spill my drink and hoped that no one noticed how shaky my hand was as I lifted the glass to my lips. That's the worst feeling I can imagine.

Rest, food, and abstinance help calm the nerves. Also, like angelina suggested, if it continues, I'd see a doc as soon as possible.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with majamama...eat something. Drink some gatorade or something with sugar and as much water as you can stomach. 10 beers alone (if you haven't been binging for days) shouldn't cause withdrawals.

If you develop more symptoms, go see the doc.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Had a couple of beers to stop the shakes. I had a friend come over today and I told her of my plans. After my md appt on Tues, I'm going to go shopping for the week and then once I know I have all that we'll need for the week, I am going to give her my bank card and checks. Then, I won't have access to any money. So, between her and AA, and the doc I should be able to kick this. Then, hubby will come home. UGGGG, then what?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by introuble View Post
Then, hubby will come home. UGGGG, then what?
Then don't drink.

Talk to your friend about it and others that you trust and get some feed back. Ultimately my drinking is on me but I feel for you. I understand how the home life situation can effect the difficulty level of staying sober. :ghug3
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

introuble,

you don't have to live this way. I've been where you are and it sucks. Can't stop shaking, what's the cause.... who can really pinpoint it. Could be low blood sugar + hangover + alcohol withdrawl + shame + anxiety + worrying about your husband coming home and round and round you go.

I stopped drinking 15 days ago and I did not wake up today with those symptoms. 15 days ago I did, but today I don't. Bottom line, we (or at least I) have a progressive disease that is trying to kill us!!! Drinking or trying to control it and thinking of the cause isn't productive. I would focus all attention on the problem at hand and that appears to be drinking alcohol

Best of luck to you. Hang in there!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Originally Posted by introuble View Post
Ok, had 10 beers last night, 2 this morning. My hands are now shaking. Anyone know what's causing this?
looks like a symptom of alcoholism
alcohol does affect our nervous system
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today's doctors appt

Well, I had my doctor's appt today. On Ativan 1 mg for 4 weeks to counter the DT's. Starting Zoloft to also help w/ anxiety. So, I have a game plan started. Next, contact the counselor to set up an appt, find as many AA meeting in my area as humanly possible. Doc says he'd like to see me on one meeting every night for the first 30 days. I'll do just as many as I can. I think the fact that I have to be treated for the DT's really opened my dh's eyes that I cannot drink....Period. I physically feel like crap. My head is a little foggy, my head hurts (bp was 146/100), and my stomach hurts. My hand are a little shaky but not severe. He did warn me that I am really just getting into the beginnings of this and might feel worse tomorrow. Oh goody, something to look forward to. At least my appetite is nil so it might jump start a little weight loss for my beer bloated body.

Thanks to all for giving me the support that I needed to be able to follow through w/ this. All of the information that you have provided has helped tremendously. The doc was very happy that I came to see him just after my last binge. :ghug3 Big hugs to all of you. J
Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sounds like you've got a good plan in place for your recovery J, please work it. It's worth the effort.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Glad to hear you did go see a DR.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Just think, you never have to feel this bad again!
This just the beginning of a wonderful sober life!
Be kind to yourself for the next couple of weeks.