Notices

First time admitting I have a drinking problem!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time admitting I have a drinking problem!

Im 24 yrs old and have finally realized that I need to quit drinking!

I never really stopped to think "Do i have a drinking problem?" I always just thought to myself, Im in my twenties, this is normal everyone goes out at this age and drinks/partys, drinking 3-4 days a week is normal. But problems arise when I go out and get drunk and start talking out to my ass. Saying and doing things that I would never do sober which has created a reoccurring situation of me waking up the next morning kicking myself in the ass for my actions. I am tired of saying, Im sorry I did this, Im sorry I did that, I just drank to much. Maybe the first couple times it works but I've def worn that term out.
It really hit home 2 days ago, the day before my friend was getting married and I was a groomsman for his wedding. Got drunk, more so than usual, and did a drug I swore to myslf I would never do again. Its been 2 years since I had done it. That right there should of never happened and am really disappointed in myself for making that bad decision.
Through a hectic night of drinking and partying I arrived at the wedding the next day feeling like crap. My biggst fear was actually standing up with the groomsman during the ceremony and throwing up. Luckly that did not happen but the rest of the night I just drank water and dealt with the reprocussions of excessive drinking/partying the night before.

Im 24 and have made some bad decisions in my life, I really wish I could start back again but I cant. I am in a good position now, year left in school, just got offered a great internship, I know I can do good in life if I can just manage things better and not keep making mistakes that I know I can control. From having a prior drug addiction (years ago) I know that I have a addictive personality and that drinking will be something that will pose a much bigger problem if I continue.

I want to quit drinking!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OK, the first move is to stop talking about quitting drinking and actually quit. Can you do this? Have you tried it?

If you need help there is AA, Smart recovery, etc.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Wanting to quit drinking is the first step. It might be a smart move to ask your doctor for help in getting thru detox safely. After getting the alcohol out of your system it can be helpful to have a program of recovery, such as AA or one of the many recovery programs out there.

While detoxing it's good to drink lots of water and juice and take vitamins - B vitamins especially. Chamomile tea is helpful in dealing with the anxiety that sometimes comes with withdrawal.

Best advice tho is to take it one day at a time. Just don't drink today. Anytime I have the desire to drink I just focus on my mental picture of how unpleasant my last withdrawal was, and that's enough to keep me from drinking.

You CAN do this.:ghug3
Old 03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you mentioned having an addictive personality...
you might find this interesting

How We Get Addicted - TIME

Congratulations on making a wise decision
Welcome to SR.....