Notices

Just come back from a 6 days detox.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just come back from a 6 days detox.

I feel so much better.

To put it bluntly it was hell I had to have so much medication.

I had really bad DT's.

Im booked into a 2 month group therapy program which I start tommorow cuz I only just come out of the mental hospital today so it was all lined up.

Im actually anxious about going to an AA meeting tommorow which is at 7PM GMT time but I only know a couple people that go and loads of people attend.

I dont know whether I should go or give it a week and go when I am a bit more ready. Or just fling my self into it and see how it goes had an AA meeting at the hospital where I was and thta was good but there was only like 6 people there and someone chairing it, which was good for me cuz I dont like crowded places it was helpful though everyone had theyre say and where they were at everyone was being de-toxed at the time so we were all a bit tranquilizered up to help with withdrawals.

Shall I just go or not and leave it a week I am now 6 days dry which is good which I can keep up for ages with just willpower but I think I need something more.

Thanks for any input anyone can give.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so glad to see you did get the professional help
for de toxing....and Yes! the group therapy program
as well as AA are both excellent plans too.

AA is an awesome adventure in living healthy and sober.
......Don't mess around until next week
just go to listen.

This can be the last time you ever have to de tox.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Trippstar.

I just got out of detox myself yesterday. I have a question or two for you if you wouldn't mind answering them because I'm very nervous I permanantly screwed my liver.

I'm sure when you first went in you had a ton of blood tests run on you. Were your liver enzymes high? Mine were high but weren't critically high but I still can't shake the fear I really screwed myself up and I'm only 20.

Do you remember if they gave you another test before you left and if they had stabilized because mine still had not.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi trippstar, well done on sticking out the de-tox and getting through it.
I'd go to the AA meeting. It's possible that the meeting you went to was small because it was in a hospital but don't let that put you off. Not sure how many meetings are in the Basingstoke area but you can look them up on here.

Alcoholics Anonymous | AA | in England, Scotland and Wales, UK

What have you got to lose by not going tomorrow night?

You talk about a willpower....I couldn't stay stopped by willpower alone. I needed the program and support of AA.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Trippstar,
I am sorry I missed your post a couple of days ago. I went through detox over a year ago and now work with others going through the same process. Engaging your recovery program immediately is very important as the mind may convince you that you really do not need to a few days down the road. Patients that don't engage a recovery program right away are more likely not to stick to a recovery program and relapse. AA has worked great for me but I got a Sponsor and started working the steps right away.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ive had an AA meeting this morning and group therapy which went well and there were good shares.

Zandre my liver enzymes test was very bad I had 1884 GGT.

I got told told if you start up again I will probably get liver failiure and be put on the transplant list bit Im not gonna let it get that bad.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,
Great, I am glad you are hanging in there. It is so important not to wait to engage a program of recovery. I would up almost living at AA because I couldn't stand to be in the house with nothing to do. I was able to make a lot of friends there early on who were so helpful to me to keep going.

The liver is an amazing organ that is capable of incredible recovery if we stop abusing it. I thought mine would never return to normal but my liver enzymes returned to normal fairly quickly. My Doc had me eating a nutritious diet (very important) and also had me taking vitamin supplements.

It is so nice to no longer be struggling with alcohol. Life is so much better sober!!

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. It's tough early on and we all need support.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am doing good I am sober for 11 days now attending my group therapy and there was an AA member there today talking and that, was really helpful.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's good news for you because you now have the willpower to overcome alcohol. Always keep that in mind and maybe you won't need those treatments anymore.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

17 days sober now.
Feel loads better, Still not 100% though but it will come in time.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good work Trippstar. Sounds like you have had a good dose of reality; DT"s will do that. Now is the best time to get into the Steps with a recovered man. If I can help. please let me know.

Ron
Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

That is great Tripp!!!!
Keep it up, it only gets better!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nice work Trippster...I had bad DTs and spent some time in the hospital around a month ago...Now on day 29 and each day I feel, look, and everything in my life gets clearer and better. AA has also helped.

DTs definitely can scare a person sober. Scariest time of my life and hope to never go back to hell it was.

Good luck on your journey and look forward to keeping in touch with your progress!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Keep up the good work trippster. AA helps me a lot.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

a :ghug3 from me
Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Went to a an AA meeting today and got my first chip 24 hrs even though its more along the lines of nearly 22 days I think. Was good got loads out of it. Was worth the effort on my part too wait for a bus for like 45 mins after missing one xD

I've got another meeting tommorow at 20:00 GMT. Im gonna do one Sunday to I think.