Notices

Just need some opinion...

Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Just need some opinion...

Hi all--

This is my first ever post, but I have been looking through a lot of posts over the last day or two.

I am 25 years old, and I wanted to hear some of your thoughts regarding my situation:

After a long day at work, I will usually have about 3 beers, SOMETIMES 4, through the course of the night (usually from about 4pm until about 11:30 pm or midnight). What worries me is that I am unsure if it's just more habit, or what, since I do it daily.

When I am visiting friends for a weekend or family for holidays, I rarely drink, and even when I do, I am able to stop without feeling the urge to drink more.

What makes it more difficult is that I live with some fairly heavy drinkers, yet I am the only one that does it in semi-moderation throughout the week, rather than binge drinking 2-3 times a week, mostly on weekends. (One roomie is known for downing a case a night over Friday, then do it over again Sat.)

I have talked with other people and they all say that I might be overindulging, and the internet, specifically when looking for articles/advice, is full of..well, EVERYTHING, so I wanted to share my experiences in the hopes that some of you guys (and gals) can provide more helpful advice/opinion based on my own situation.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by careflow View Post
Hi all--

This is my first ever post, but I have been looking through a lot of posts over the last day or two.

I am 25 years old, and I wanted to hear some of your thoughts regarding my situation:

After a long day at work, I will usually have about 3 beers, SOMETIMES 4, through the course of the night (usually from about 4pm until about 11:30 pm or midnight). What worries me is that I am unsure if it's just more habit, or what, since I do it daily.

When I am visiting friends for a weekend or family for holidays, I rarely drink, and even when I do, I am able to stop without feeling the urge to drink more.

What makes it more difficult is that I live with some fairly heavy drinkers, yet I am the only one that does it in semi-moderation throughout the week, rather than binge drinking 2-3 times a week, mostly on weekends. (One roomie is known for downing a case a night over Friday, then do it over again Sat.)

I have talked with other people and they all say that I might be overindulging, and the internet, specifically when looking for articles/advice, is full of..well, EVERYTHING, so I wanted to share my experiences in the hopes that some of you guys (and gals) can provide more helpful advice/opinion based on my own situation.

Thanks in advance!
welcome!!!

One of the everythings they have on the internet are free self assessment tests. If you are honest about the answers to the questions, they will be able to evaluate your state better than any of us can.

Michigan Alcohol Screening Test

There are a few others out there, what the hell, I'm from Michigan so naturally I'm a little biased.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome careflow.
I am reluctant to answer this post so I will answer with a question.
Do you think you have a drinking problem.
If you say yes I would say perhaps you do and if you say no I would say you probably don't.
Mostly I just wanted to say welcome and let you know someone is reading your thread.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What makes you reluctant, Fubarcdn?

Thanks guys for the support already!

According to the MAST, I scored a 2, which I think is fine. I just want to feel 100% good about how I approach drinking, even if it's not to get drunk, ya know? I think cutting back to 2 a day is certainly do-able, and I will be sure to just set a time to cut back with a beer later on in the night!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

I am reluctant because from what you posted I don't see a big drinking problem but there must be some concern on your part if you are here.
I would love to be able to stop at 3 beers a day but I can't.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I think a good indicator would be how difficult it is to not have those daily beers. Maybe abstain for a week or a month and see how strong your desire is to imbibe.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

What's that figure about a drink an hour or a little less?

Go thru a few weeks without drinking. See if, you can do that. Better yet, just drink one an evening.

The majority of us can't stop at 3 or 4 drinks. I don't know your weight that, plays some into it.

You drinking on an empty stomach? That plays a part as well
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

From my files...
What is moderation?

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Many people choose to not drink who are not alcoholics
.Best wishes for a healthy sober future...
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

welcome

i am reluctant because from what you posted I don't see a big drinking problem but there must be some concern on your part if you are here
I feel like this also.............but your not here for nothing so maybe try some of the above suggestions. my experience was... I could stop many times, the problem for me was I could never stay stopped nor drink in moderation........so when I picked up again before long I was concerned about my drinking again. I didnt get into trouble every time I drank, but every time I was in trouble there was drink there. Those time came closer and closer until I got desperate.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From what you have described, it doesnt appear like you have a problem. The thing that distinguishes an alkie from a non-alkie is the inability to stop after a few drinks on their own and not the frequency of drinking.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by careflow View Post
Hi all--

Thanks in advance!
1, When you start to drink can you stop abruptly and leave in alone?
2, when you start to drink do you have any control over the amount you take?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome, I am an alcoholic, this I know to the bottom of my heart. I would suggest to you that it is best if you decide if you are an alcoholic or not.

Now this is just my opinion, but from what you have posted unless you are leaving something out you are not drinking like an alcoholic, but that really means nothing, I have heard it said and agree that it is not how much one drinks, what they drink, nor how often one drinks that makes the determination if one is an alcoholic or not, it is what happens when one does drink that makes the determination.

One thing I will tell you is that alcoholism is progressive, it always gets worse, never better, so if you are having problems now due to drinking and you have no problems not drinking right now........... why not just quit now while it is easy to quit?

A non alcoholic could really care less whether they have a drink or not.

What have you lost if you simply do not drink again? Nothing!

What will you lose if you continue? Well if you are an alcoholic you could lose it all including your very life, if you are not an alcoholic then more then likely you will lose little or nothing excepot the cost of the drink.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you can't decide if you are an alcoholic or not, you either are or you are not, I might wake up tomorrow and decide I am not an alcoholic but that would not change the fact of my condition,

you can be given the facts and information about alcoholism by experienced people (recovered alcoholics) that will allow you to recognize (or not) if you have the condition by identifying with the mental inconsistencies that are unique to alcoholics like the subtle insanity that precedes the first drink,

what alcohol did to me like getting me locked up and ending up in hospital etc, was a consiquence of not a condition of my alcoholism,

when I started to drink I could not stop and at some point I lost control of how much I would take,

I could not stop and stay stopped because I always gave in to some trivial excuse for drinking "it will be different this time" "I will be ok if I just have beer" I wanted to drink like other people and be normal (obsession of the mind) pursuing that nearly killed me,

when I started to drink the allergy manifested and I could not stop or moderate, (physical allergy),

I was restless, irritable and discontent unless I got a few drinks

Dave