Notices

MCV and enzymes etc

Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

MCV and enzymes etc

Hi,
Does anyone know how long it takes before our blood gets back to normal ? I imagine it has something to do with how long and how much we were drinking before, how badly we attacked our liver, but on an average does it take one month, three months, six months, a year, or more, to finally clean out the mess? Thanks if anyone has an idea.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know, can i ask why you would want to know that out of curiousity?

Hi btw!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to go for a blood test before 6 months, I'd like to go soon so I don't forget, but I'd just as soon have good results...so I thought I'd wait 3 months (if I can stay on the wagon), then I got to thinking it might take longer to get good results...
Now a question from me...What's btw?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, it mean by the way, king of takes the adge of why you ask that fool?! Which is not the way i asked it;-) I'm actually in the same situation, I have to go for a blood test but i am not going for the same reasons. I will go this week but in my mind i don't care what it says, what difference will it make to me anyway now i am sober? I suppose you could look at it like it could highlight any early problems that need addressing to save turning into bigger health issues, but im just lighting up another cigarette will drink my usual 6-8 diet cokes today and will do no exercise so if i cared i would first address those issues rather than worry about a blood test.

Get the blood test done, you will feel better:-) Unless you are dying then you will feel worse;-)
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi californiapoppy,

BTW is short hand for "by the way"

On your main question, I'm afraid I don't think anyone will be able to give you a standard answer since recovery is such an individual thing. Much of it will depend on the amount of damage done previously and how well you live your life in sobriety. However, from what I have seen you could expect to get an "improved" result after as little as one month, and something more significant after 3 months. Healing could go on for sometime after this though. Perhaps you could schedule some bloodwork after a month, and then every quarter? Your doctor will have a better handle on your individual set of circumstances.

I am a great believer in taking Milk Thistle supplements - especially for liver helaing. Green tea is also very beneficial. I don't have any science to back this up - but I know that when I have used these things in the past, the initial physical recovery feels easier and quicker - for me at least. Hope this helps.

DB
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think I ever heard of milk thistle...for the moment I'm drinikng coffee, green tea will wait, funny thing tea often upsets my stomach.

For yeahgr8, no I'm not dying, and the blood tests are just to make sure my blood pressure pills aren't messing something else up, I think... I don't smoke and I do a lot of exercise, I've seen the flags flying on my blood tests, not too high, mind you, but there...my doctor has never made any reference, except once to say that I must have a viral hepatitis
Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
maklay

I had elevate enzymes in early 08' and my doctor got on to me a little about drinking. I was on the hard stuff at the time. I started a regimne of Milk Thistle for about 2 months and things went back to normal. I can't say that's what done it or not, but just in case I use it anyway and never had my enzymes come up on me again. I don't expect them to ever again now that I'm not poisoning myself anymore.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For me....
I was back in balance ...... mentally and physically
by month 2 of sobriety.
I was also following a healthy eating plan + vitamin supplements.

There are so many variable ...it's impossible to give
a specific time line.

Please ask your doctor for direction....

Good to know your moving forward
Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took me roughly 3 months to be healthy again after drinking for years, it was tough going I was crying for a drink but I hacked it out. And then I relapsed. But I aint back to square one. Im gonna get it sorted before I end up in hospital. Im good at the minute.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is the blood test for? I am assuming a liver function test? I am not an everyday drinker, but have gone on binges for several days up to two weeks. In December I was drinking vodka everyday and had some nasty withdrawals or detox. I went to the hospital and my liver function was abnormal and my enzymes were high. After not drinking for three weeks, I took another liver function test and it came out normal.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just a normal blood test, I have high blood pressure and once in a while I have to go for a blood test