Notices

Drugs to stay sober

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drugs to stay sober

It's possible that this is a late-stage gasp of someone seeking an easier, softer way. However, my psychiatrist has been pushing two drugs as aids to staying sober (or at least soberer). They are: (A) Revia, and (2) Campral. I'm a delightfully functional person suffering from a diagnosis of alcohol dependence. The idea of exposing this thing to anyone other than my wife (and kids, therapist, psychiatrist, and band-mates) is unappealing. However, I might be willing to order such a thing if it had a chance of success.

Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with these drugs? Mentally/emotionally, where where you when you tried it? Did you experience side effects? Most importantly, should I hold off until I'm really willing to commit to AA or some other formal program.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was given Campral last year for several weeks and it helped me with cravings. I don't know about Revia tho, but Campral was helpful for me.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I've never heard of Revia, but I was prescribed Campral when I quit drinking. It's difficult to say if it had any effect - I didn't experience any cravings, but I don't know how much of that can be attributed to the meds. The way I looked at it: why not pull out all the stops to get sober? The Campral wasn't doing me any harm, so I chose to continue taking it.

Best of luck!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take prozac and that's it. I suffer from major depression and probably a bit of the left overs of "bad life & events", however I do not want to take anything else. My psych Dr. wanted me to take some other kind of drug to help with the "cravings" but my thoughts FOR ME were, I'm going to have to deal with the reality that I'm not going to be able to use alcohol or drugs to "fix" my problems any more so I said no right from the get go.

I was on sleeping meds for a while and then asked to be taken off of them and off of my psych regime due to the fact that they made me feel "high". Too tempting.

Everyone is different. I think you'll get a lot of feedback on your issue, just remember to be COMPLETELY honest with YOU!!!! If you think you're going to enjoy it too much, maybe think about that?

One of the things I hear about injuries and what not with people in recovery........."who would have known that a hurt back would have sent someone back into a relapse?" People start on pain meds and BAM!!! They're gone again. Just something to think about.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Revia is naltrexone and studies have shown the most positive outcomes when naltrexone and acamprosate (Campral) are used together. They don't get you high, are not addictive, and have no side effects. The worst that can happen is that they don't produce any results. There are plenty of sober people who never commit to AA. If you are struggling with cravings, and have insurance/can afford the meds, why not give them a try?

Last edited by doorknob; 02-28-2009 at 08:05 AM.