Notices

So I think Im an alchoholic

Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I think Im an alchoholic

This is my first post. I found this site reading up on alchoholism. I have all the classic signs of being an alchoholic, and I want to quit. I wake up sweating when the alchohol wears off. I find myself being very anxious, and jittery from the withdrawls. I tend to ignore my family when I drink. Often I'll watch television, or get on the internet, or such, just sitting there and drinking beer..... ignoring my kids.

My drinking habit kind of snuck up on me. In my teen years and early twenties, I'd only drink on the weekends. Then, progressively, I started drinking more often. I'd stop on the way home from work and grab a six pack during the week. Now, I drink up to 5 nights a week. I typically dont get hammered ; usually only dusting off a six pack on the weeknights, and maybe 8 or 9 beers on Friday and Saturday nights. Still, this is affecting my life.

I hate being this way, and have decided its time to take back control of my life. I'd like to first try this on my own, tho. Im not religious, and dont think AA would help me.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! This is an awesome place to learn more about yourself. Stick around.

Sobriety does work. There is hope.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum....

I'm glad you are decideing to quit...alcohol is a slow poison.
It affects everyone who drinks it...not just alcoholics.

God to see a new member...
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Welcome and hopefully we can all help each other....
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome. I've read Carols sticky's a the top of the page. I have alot of the withdrawl symptoms many of you have/had. Thank goodness mine arent to the extreme as alot of others, but I do have some.

One of the more common feelings I have is that perilous feeling like being on the edge of a cliff looking into the abbys. Kind of "Doomish" feeling. Nausea, and jitteryness also.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TM101 View Post
Im not religious, and dont think AA would help me.
Before you just say 'no' to AA (lol). I'm not religious (per se, I'm a Buddhist meditation person) and primary I come on here, but I will go to a meeting 1-2 times a week and it really helps. The steps really help too, to help you re-frame your thinking even without the 'god' stuff.

Welcome!! and Congrats
Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by SoberforME View Post
Before you just say 'no' to AA (lol). I'm not religious (per se, I'm a Buddhist meditation person) and primary I come on here, but I will go to a meeting 1-2 times a week and it really helps. The steps really help too, to help you re-frame your thinking even without the 'god' stuff.

Welcome!! and Congrats
There's a really great book called "Zen of Recovery" that can help with a Buddhist approach to the 12 Steps. I love that book a lot and it's been very, very helpful to me. I went to AA get sober because I needed the face to face support and I had no money for treatment.

You might want to check out Lifering and Women for Sobriety. They have a different approach than the "God stuff." Some people find "The Small Book" that is used by Rational Recovery to be very helpful, as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TM101....
since you are a guy...leave out the Women for Sobriety
suggested to you by Kallista .

Please go back to the sticky post and read #3
for a list of recovery methods. ...
when and if you are interested.

Also...sticky #2 is from the book that convinced me to quit

Keep posting...we all wish the very best for you...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hey there! i am a newbie myself here too! Hope you keep posting and good stuff.

Withdraw from alcohol can only get worst when the drinking gets worst, so if you can quit now without severe symptoms then you are almost golden! Do it and be sober! !!!

Bye!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It doesn't matter what you drink, or how often, or how much - it's what happens to you once you start drinking. You admit you have a problem and want to be rid of it, that's a great place to start. You may want to talk with your doctor about quitting drinking. Medically supervised detox is a good safe idea.

Do give AA a good try before you give it up as an option. Go to several different meetings until you find one or more you like. If you do'nt find any you like, look up info on the different recovery programs.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome to our group, you'll find a lot of support here. There's a lot of different programs out there, what's most important is that you try something, with all your heart, and live a better life for you, and your kiddos
Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

TM101:

I drank for eight years in a similar manner to which you speak of. Six units or so on weekdays and then up to 8-10 on weekends with not too many sober days to speak of. I was thinking of cutting back huge at one point and then my dad's death pushed back that plan. After that I got heavier with the drinking. Every night 8 or more units to wake up the next day and go to work or roll back into bed.

Bottom line is you have acknowledged your problem and desire to quit at a good time. The first time I kicked, which lasted for 34 days; it took about 3 days until most of the physical withdrawals dissapeared. The first night or two was the roughest trying to fall asleep and being anxious and somewhat sweaty. Drink lots of water, and think / do eat well to replenish much needed nutrients.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi TM! Welcome to SR. I have been where you are and understand your pain.

As has already been stated it does not matter how much or often or when you drink it is how it affects you!

The classic warning signs for me were lack of control of my drinking. Even when i did not want to - i always got drunk. I also experienced blackouts during my drinking which got more frequent and lasted longer as time went by.
These had some disastrous consequences for me.

Just thought id share that because i used t think i wasn't an alkie because i did not take the morning drink. But eventually i could see the progression of my drinking and now im trying to stop.

Anyway keep coming back and i wish you the best of luck whatever way you decide to quit
Old 02-28-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TM101,

As you can see, a lot of people are glad that you're here; myself included.

Books, especially like the Buddhist literature mentioned above, helped me greatly in my initial attempts at sobriety. I'd highly recommend finding reading material that you find specifically appealing. Not all of it is religious; but it seems to me that most of it has to do with finding peace within ourselves, which I think is part of why any of us desire to stop drinking at all.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I would encourage you to stay open to Alcoholics Anonymous. There are all sorts of people in those rooms with all sorts of beliefs, and I think you'll find that many if not most of them fall well outside of the doctrines of organized religions. I think Craig Fergusen said it quite well during the monologue on alcoholism that drove me to AA in the first place: "I have found that the only way I could deal with it was to find other people who had similar experiences, and talk to them. It doesn't cost anything-- it doesn't cost a thing. And they're very, very easy to find: They're very near the front of the telephone book. Good luck!".

For me, being open to AA wasn't about God at all-- it was about discovering that I am far from alone in my (hopefully) former woes, not alone in my desire to quit drinking, and not alone in my recovery.

Again, welcome, and good luck and godspeed.

All the best,

B'sT
Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, talking to people who have the same problem as you can help. It's helpiing me
Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi TM101.
your story is the same as mine.
Congratulations on taking the step of getting away from alochol.

I am going to try it alone as well. Then try AA if i fail at that!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

shorty51 .....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Glad to see a new member