Notices

Acceptance

Old 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

through the better part of two decades i've struggled with this word Acceptance.. i've struggled with the fact that i am an alcoholic and 100% powerless over alcohol.. i've struggled with who i am.. i've struggled with loss's and jobs.. with all these things and more the word keeps on coming up.. it can in time bring peace..
Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow this was an important word for me, same as you 2 decades, about a year ago i accepted that i was powerless over alcohol, in so much as if i have one i will drink as much as i can until i can drink no more, gone was any delusion on any level that i could control it. So i accepted this was my life, 5 beers and 2 bottles of wine a night and i functioned for 6 months in a new job, foreign country etc. OK so i've got that down, then i accepted that if this was my lot i would rather not be here and as i was taking this really seriously accepted that perhaps, after 20 years of trying, was not the best person to help me and got help. Now comes the big one with 4 months sober i totally accept that if i do not make drastic and actionable lifestyle and thought changes i will be hitting that bottle again at some point and this is the reason that i have now accepted that i need to go to AA to follow a path that has given alcoholics the chance at a better and productive life.

Why the hell it took 20 years to accept all the above...you tell me?!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many new AA members are asked by their sponsors
to read that section in our Big Book everyday

It's on page 419 in Edition 4
When I got sober with Edition 3
"Read 449" was often heard in conversations.

I too find it comforting ...