Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed-- Dealing with Life Changes in Sobriety

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My sponsor will be helping me through this as well, and I don't know if I'm being melodramatic, but I am looking for some advice--

What have you (recovering alkies) done to successfully stay sober while steering through the waters of change? I mean things like big moves, big job changes, entering uncertain situations, losing loved ones, etc.

Advice and support greatly appreciated!

B'sT
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's a great question.

First, pray. It always helps. Second, I found sticking close to a handful of folks who live AA, to be good too.

When I was 39 and about 15 years sober, I had open heart surgery for a genetic valve problem. That wasn't the hard part, I learned or knew of my condition when I was 16 after a motorcycle accident. The hard part, was after a few months of recovering from that and finally feeling like I was going to live, to have my dad die from a massive heart attack. I got in a pretty bad God place for the second time in my life, if you know what I mean.

So here's a little confession ... I couldn't make meetings for awhile, because of the whole couldn't drive thing, because of my sternum. But I never made calls asking for a ride, which I was fine to do. I didn't do much to keep in phone contact with other AA's either. Essentially, I got myself to an old Paul place, without the drinking.

After enough pain and inner rage, I made some calls ... I got a ride to a meeting and I got a good tug off the pity pot. lol It didn't take long to remember, it's God's plan ... not mine. Plus hearing a few old timers tell me "God didn't bring you this far to drop you on your butt" didn't hurt either. lol

I'm convinced God will never give any of us any more than we can handle. We may question it from time to time, but in the end, we can & do make it through them. If I can do it, I know you can.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I leaned very heavily on the Fellowship of AA and praying like Paul said in his post.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being somewhat OCD (no really?!) - I have done many things to occupy myself ... there was running until my old knees & back gave out, which turned to walking, swimming during the summer season, gardening - which take all year planning, ancestry work when stuck indoors - lots reading - found a great community church. And there is always that OCD favorite - GOLF - Teaches everything you need to know - humility, integrity, patience (especially with yourself) and so much more when you get into a group of regulars. It also taught me to say "God Bless me" instead of "God Darn it" which had led to some interesting and pleasant change in some of my behavior.

I try to avoid too much TV - which means I have to be doing something else. Although with TV, I watch the Home & Garden & Cooking etc etc Things of some value that lead you to looking at other things and so on... All these things, combinied with meetings, start to put things into perspective - Also start & end my day with prayers and a few mixed into the day when I need them ... or just want to say them. Nothing overdone - just a quick Our Father as I walk to a meeting or waiting for someone. Helps me.

Be nice to the guy in the mirror and encourage him each time you see him - he will appreciate it more each day too.

Health, Happiness & God Bless
Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dionysiusp ...
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
big moves, big job changes, entering uncertain situations, losing loved ones, etc.
I've gone through each of those several times
plus my incurable health issues since I quit drinking in '89

By using God and the 12 Steps of AA
I have not returned to drinking.

Good to see you again...

Last edited by CarolD; 02-12-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi David,

I stay close to other women in AA and my SR friends. I am in contact with another alcoholic almost every day. That's been the biggest thing for me, outside of continuing to build a relationship with God. I used to isolate a lot, and sleep was (and still can be) a real escape for me. So - I really had to work on that.

Last night my old sponsor called me and passed on a phone number for a girl who was new to the area and without a vehicle. She asked if I could take her to my HG tonight. I'm glad that I agreed to, because by the time I made it home tonight I was tired and in kind of a crap mood. But - I had talked to this new gal today and made a commitment to pick her up - so that really helped me. The meeting was awesome, and I had an opportunity to connect with other new members. I got out of myself for a couple of hours, and that's always a good thing.

Keep reaching out here - jump on any of the ongoing threads in the Newcomers Daily Support forum - there are a lot of regulars who would welcome your daily presence on them. It's always good to "see" you, David.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
By using God and the 12 Steps of AA
I have not returned to drinking.
This is my expereince too. I also find that as things you described happened and past, there was always new learning and growth to be had. At times this can be painful and I have not always dealt with it as gracefully as I would have prefered (I still like to 'look good' in recovery) but I have dealt with it.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

big moves, big job changes, entering uncertain situations, losing loved ones, etc.
I have gone through each one of those plus more. If I am honest here Im going through one now. Without the 12 steps and my HP, I would not cope. trying to have acceptance of the situation I find myself in ...and knowing im powerlessness over people places and things help me. My home group are great support.. I watch myself carefully in these times...eat, sleep, usually when I dont want to. I also garden, and spend as much time outdoors as possible. I believe God speaks in three ways through the scriptures, the earth and people.... so I try and stay in touch. sometimes its hard like right now, but a drink makes nothing better only worse...and everything passes nothing stays the same for ever.